Dissidia boss learns lessons from Enslaved’s release, puts them on Twitter

Friday, 12th November 2010 19:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

enslaved2

Square Enix’s Yosuke Shiokawa, the director of Dissidia Final Fantasy, has decided to share his thoughts on Enslaved’s release, so we might learn and be better people.

Speaking on his Twitter account, the developer went live with a list of negatives about the Ninja Theory game, which was well-received but flopped hard at retail.

And lo, as translated by 1UP:

“Games with less content will be considered OK to rent”

“Is it Uncharted? Prince of Persia? I’m not going to preorder and buy a game new if I don’t understand what it is.”

“The demo version released a few days before the game went on sale had tremendous buzz. After that, nothing could be accomplished via publicity.”

“A game solely characterized as being new isn’t one that people will say ‘I’ll buy that,’ they’ll say ‘I want to check that out’ and they will rent it.”

And there you are, Ninja Theory. Next time don’t make a game people want to rent. Simple, right?

Thanks, Hachimaki.

1. Erthazus

Enslaved failed so hard, as i said before it will fail and i was right about that, AGAIN.

They sold 800K

and it’s now on Amazon.co.uk: 19.99 GBP for PS3 and 22.99 GBP for Xbox 360.

Now i can’t wait to see sales for the new DMC and i will say it again. This shit will “FAIL” and 90% of sales will be because of a brand.

Enslaved had a cliche story, with OK graphics, with interesting environments and of course horrible gameplay. Case Closed.

2. OrbitMonkey

Or release it in the traditional summer drought when new games are scarce. I mean a new ip versus a pimped out Castlevania & a new COD round the corner? Enslaved would have had to been specfuckingtacular to stand out o_O

3. The_Red

What kind of IDIOT releases a NEW IP that is SINGEPLAYER only during the overcrowded Q4 that has Halo Reach, Fable 3 and more?

4. klewd

What are you talking about? Enslaved has sold 800k.

5. 2plus2equals5

I’m sad when a new ip fails… :(

6. Erthazus

@4 i just looked at the Namco Bandai numbers.. and i FAILED. Yes you are right. But ti’s still a failure for 2 platforms.

7. YoungZer0

@1: So you just played the demo and nothing else? Maybe you should shut up?

Did you even read the article? Devil May Cry is a well-known franchise, so it might actually sell very well.

I appreciate developers like Ninja Theory. They have massive balls and don’t let the dumb people stand in the way of their creativity. I also bought the game day one and don’t regret it. I have a good and fuzzy feeling, knowing that i supported one of the few developers who actually has some creativity and cares for character-development, a daring art-direction and stories for grown-ups.

If you’d actually played the game you’d know that the story is everything but cliche.

8. Thalius

I too bought the game(it wasnt day one but it was week one) but after the platinum i sold it.

9. AHA-Lambda

i could agree with that

then again i tried the demo for enslaved thought it was crap, couple this with DMC5 i have no sympathy for NT

10. Kuwabara

xbox 360 owners will need to buy this game next year, as there is only 1 exclusive coming out on the system :P

11. osric90

Ok, ok… I’ll buy this because of Alex Garland. BUT… I repeat: “DmC” better be good or I’ll nuke Ninja Theory.

12. n3a

@1,4
    Can you post a link about the sales please? I really think it sold much fewer copies. Maybe Namco Bandai SHIPPED or EXPECTED TO SELL 800K?

13. Freek

What put me off the game was stuff I read about the game being mostly “the platforming is a bitt poor but the story is really cool!”.
    And that’s not the kind of game I want to play. I played Heavenly Sword and I diden’t want another one of those.

It has to be fun to play aswell as have a good story. Ninja Theory continuesly talking about their cinematics and voice actors and Andy Cercis and how Hollywood they all are doesn’t help either.

14. varsas

Odd that Uncharted with it’s similarly decent gameplay and well executed if generic story was a hit.

I’m still buying this when I’ve had a chance to finish my existing stack of games.

15. Crysis

@10, True, but you’re just trollerbating…

16. OrbitMonkey

@14 Saying Uncharted is similar to Enslaved is like saying Halo is similar to Singularity. Uncharted is a superior game in every way. Nice piece of Troll baiting though *doffs cap*