Report: MS sold 40,000 Windows 7 phones day one, despite marketing blitz

Thursday, 11th November 2010 08:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

windows7

Despite having spent approximately $400 million on marketing Windows 7 phones, The Street is quoting a source claiming only 40,000 units were sold in the first day of release.

The sales number does not include the 89,000 Microsoft employees that will be given free Windows 7 phones.

Microsoft reps declined to comment.

A T-Mobile spokeswoman did not offer a number of phones sold, but said Tuesday that the Win7 phone was “already receiving strong interest from our customers right out of the gate.”

Google said last month that it was selling 200,000 Android phones a day. And Apple has said that its iPhone sales rate was 270,000 a day.

Nielsen telecom analyst Roger Entner warned against pessimism for the platform, however: “It’s early in the game,” he said. “Not every product surges right out of the starting blocks. The first Android phone was not a big seller at T-Mobile.”

The phone release on November 8 in the US.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. XDamage

Android! :D Currently playing The Curse of Monkey Island on my Galaxy S.

2. manamana

Epic Fail.

3. Blerk

Hey, that’s better than their last phone! :-D

4. Gadzooks!

I’ll be swapping my Android phone (HTC Desire) for a windows 7 phone as soon as my contract period is up.

It’s a shame you cant just update an existing phone to the new OS, as the Desire is decent hardware.

5. Crazyreyn

My Samsung Omnia 7 should be here today. :)

6. DrDamn

I tried a Windows 7 mobile in a shop the other day – looking to upgrade and ditching my iPhone for Android or Windows 7 – have iOS covered with my iPad. It’s a very nice clean and well thought out interface (from what I got to play with – no sim so use was limited).

I suspect there may be ways and means to upgrade phones somehow – there are some reasonably aggressive minimum specs for Windows 7 mobile (1GHz processor, Direct X 9 graphics chip, screen res etc.). HTC have very similar spec phones on Android and Windows 7 though.

Couple of interesting points on the Windows 7 OS. No cut’n'paste (yet) and no multitasking outside of main supplied apps – again could change. Both key points Apple were given a kicking for not including at the start (still can’t multitask on my 3G iPhone).

The draw of a Windows 7 mobile – aside from the interface – is the Live integration though. That is going to grow and expand I think.

7. itsucks

That’s like 2X the number of PSP sold in a month. Oh God!

8. DaMan

can’t think of a single reason why i would want a WP7 phone.

9. Erthazus

I saw that mobile and while screen is very sharp, it’s an overpriced piece of shit.

Taskbar is a mess. But Live integration (if you are in to that) is OK…

Really nothing special compared to powerfull Motorola latest model or Xperia X10. Or of course Iphone.

10. Robo_1

Whatever happened to the Kin? I always liked the look of the pebble design.

Well MS, one out of two ain’t bad, as it seems Kinect has done the business for them at least.

Quick message to Sony. If you’re looking to make a PSPhone, then I think Android support is the way forward.

11. ybfelix

I don’t even remember when was Android launched? Which phone is the first Android phone?

12. mart

Robo_1: This happened to Kin: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/microsoft-kin-is-dead/

13. cookiejar