Microsoft plans to relaunch Games For Windows Live as a web-based store on Monday, adding Marketplace to the title.
A software update for the online service will also happen November 15, along with loads of other stuff listed below.
Voice Codec Upgrade
- New higher quality voice codec used for in-game chat, private chat, and voice messages to align with the Xbox 360
- All GFWL enabled games will get this upgrade and use the new codec including PC->PC in-game chat, messages, and private chat
Windows Live ID Upgrade
- Updated version of Windows LIVE ID that handles user credentials during logon. The new system uses the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant that is shared by Messenger and other WLID enabled applications
- The Windows LIVE ID Sign-in Assistant is now required and is installed as part of the update
Per-Title 5×5 LIVE Access keys
- Per-Title 5×5 LIVE Access keys are tied to a specific game, but not a specific PC or LIVE Account. Prevents keys from being shared between GFWL titles but allows more than one Gamertag to play the game on your PC
- New GFWL Enabled Games will either use Per-Title 5×5 or SSA (Server Side Activation) for LIVE Access Keys as decided by the game’s publisher. Previously released GFWL titles and keys will still function as they currently do.
- Activation limits for Per-Title 5×5 keys are the same as previous non-SSA GFWL titles.
More information along with known issues can be found on the GFWL forums.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.