Black Ops beats Modern Warfare 2 to become “biggest entertainment launch ever”

Thursday, 11th November 2010 14:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

blackopslogo

Black Ops has beaten Modern Warfare 2′s opening day sales to become the world’s largest ever entertainment launch with $360 million in revenue in the UK and North America alone.

The 24-hour figure stacks against the $310 million taken by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in North America and the United Kingdom last year, according to internal Activision estimates.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, marks the second year in a row that the Call of Duty franchise has set day one launch records across all forms of entertainment, Activision said today.

In its first day on November 9, the blockbuster title sold through approximately 5.6 million copies in North America and the United Kingdom, as compared to 4.7 million copies for last year’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

“There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years and we are on track to outperform last year’s five-day global sales record of $550 million,” said Acti head Bobby Kotick.

“The game’s success underscores the pop culture appeal of the brand. Call of Duty: Black Ops is the finest game that Treyarch has ever made and raises the bar for online gameplay by delivering the deepest and most intense Call of Duty experience yet. The Call of Duty franchise has over 25 million players around the world that are engaged in billions of hours of online gameplay, and we are committed to supporting them with new content and features on a more frequent and regular basis.”

1. Blerk

5.6 million in one day. Jeeeeeeeesus wept.

2. Razor

3. RETARDED VIKING

Dear lord!

4. Psychotext

Utterly batshit mental.

5. theevilaires

Sad day in human history, great day for Kotick’s ego :(

6. DSB

I never would’ve thought a Treyarch CoD could do that.

Sadly I’m stuck away from home on a shitty dualcore, so I won’t be able to play it properly until January. DSB wept.

@1 And so will the internet, within hours I’m sure :p

7. Patrick Garratt

Madness.

8. Psychotext

I wonder what it sold on the Wii.

9. Patrick Garratt

@8 – :D

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wow.

Well, it is a really, REALLY well done game from what I’ve played so far. Love the very unique title screen as well as story telling method.

11. Debabrata Nath

Bobby Kotick is fast becoming Scrooge McDuck of the Videogame Industry

12. freedoms_stain

Unless it’s getting the sort of long time support TF2 gets on PC games like CoD get boring within a year. CoD fans need their hit. In the last few months I’ve seen less and less people playing MW2 in my friends list, 6 months ago it was almost guaranteed that at least half my friends list would be playing MW2 at any given time, now it’s 1 or 2 every now and then.

Black Ops is heroin for CoD nuts.

13. G1GAHURTZ

The only real surprise here is that people are surprised.

14. Erthazus

Oh come on… I’m playing multiplayer right now and even if it is more balanced than MW2, multiplayer in MW2 much more polished. singleplayer i enjoyed, but the story sucks…
    That brand just nailed everything =\

I’m soon going to prestiege mode and after that i’m done with the CoD:BO.

@Razor, “One can hope that the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection will have similar numbers…”

Haha, oh yeah… Dream at least for 300K for that title.

@freedoms_stain, thats the whole point. When next CoD comes out everyone forget about the previous one and buys new one.

You don’t need vehicles, additional gameplay, better graphics. Just more of the same and more maps and you can sell it. Jesus… and just refresh the setting.

15. Crysis

Unfortunately this proves that extra marketing sells better than extra quality for games :’(
    This is a borderline mediocre game, how CoD gets such high scores is beyond me…
    I really hope Joint Ops gets a sequel, now that was a quality fps :D

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^
    The quality is this title is actually quite impressive, certainly above average when it comes to FPS. I wouldn’t dismiss just cause of name and publisher.

However, I do think it’s time for a new game engine :)

17. StolenGlory

Obi-Wan senses “a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced”.

18. DSB

@14 Show me an FPS that puts you in a bar with a rumba danser whose only purpose in the game is ambience, and lets you plug Castro (‘s bodydouble) in the forehead during the very first level. Shitty stories or not, those moments have been missing from videogames in a very long time.

Can’t speak for the multiplayer though. It was pretty mediocre in WaW as well.

I don’t understand the obsession with vehicles though. Are FPS studios supposed to start including vehicle simulations just so they can cover two genres? Personally I prefer a good shooter over a poor hybrid. Although Treyarch did include vehicles for WaW.

@17 Keep the faith :p As you can tell there are freshly minted Black Ops owners in this very comment section on the rag already.

It’s a bit like buying a banana and then being disappointed that a banana is what you end up with. Maybe people should stop buying bananas if they’re really that horrible?

19. Erthazus

“Show me an FPS that puts you in a bar with a rumba danser whose only purpose in the game is ambience, and lets you plug Castro (’s bodydouble) in the forehead during the very first level.”

Who gives a fuck if it is linear piece of shit? Kids like it? OK.
    http://kotaku.com/5684349/the-evolution-of-the-first+person-shooter When i play this for 5 hours it creeps me out.

“And where can you find anything close to a JFK/McNamara/Nixon/Castro zombie mode?”

Left 4 Dead 1,2 that rapes zombie mode from CoD title in to the pieces?
    “JFK/McNamara/Nixon/Castro”

They are just skins and have no purpose like stupid meta shit in all CoD games… (colors and and e.t.c.)

“I don’t understand the obsession with vehicles though. Are FPS studios supposed to start including vehicle simulations just so they can cover two genres?”

Well you don’t understand, but others understand. Call Of duty is a mediocre FPS game. Just a running and gunning gameplay. No tactics at all. Nothing smart, i almost prestieged and never used a brain to kill someone. Just Famas and knife with claymore. THATS it. Precision? I will play better Counter-strike or Unreal tournament.
    Treyarch didn’t created something new in this game.

Just 10-12 new unbalanced maps (Especially NukeTown. Jesus, such a clusterfuckness.) and more balanced killstreaks this time. End of story. thats a new multiplayer. Hell yeah.

While VALVE, DICE, EPIC Games always updates significally each title with huge gameplay improvements.

PS: No, i know one new feature. Poor paint thingy where you create your own picture. Only 60$

20. DSB

You’re pretty much avoiding every point I made. Smart move, I suppose.

Left 4 Dead doesn’t take you to any actual locations, or put you in the shoes of any historic persons, which is what I was pointing out to be awesome.

L4D2 is an upgrade on L4D? Really? You honestly want to stick with that point of view? Epic keeps churning out Gears of War, just as Treyarch and IW keep churning out CoDs, and that’s obviously great for Gears of War fans, but a revolution it ain’t.

The gameplay of CoD has never changed beyond a few upgrades along the way, and it never will, because it’s not meant to lead on innovation. It’s just a simple, fun, twitch-action shooter. The fact that people don’t seem to understand that after 7 or 8 games is pretty baffling. If it was ever meant to change, it would’ve done so by now.

21. EscoBlades

*yawn*

22. Dark

There are so many other FPS games out there why do so many people like this?”

23. Erthazus

“Left 4 Dead doesn’t take you to any actual locations, or put you in the shoes of any historic persons”

Do i have to care, historical it is or not? Really? I don’t care and a lot of people don’t care either. Zombie mode is just to kick their asses. Historical skins are just skins.

“Let’s look at the market to see what people prefer. Halfassed vehicle simulation shooters sell in 6 months, what a Call of Duty sells in a day. It would seem that people prefer dedicated shooters to halfassed vehicle simulation.”

Because it’s arcadish and simple shooter for everyone. Everyone can play it. It’s simple as fuck.
    People don’t buy ARMA or strategies for a reason.
    But games like Battlefield have it’s own market of hardcore gamers and they sold 5 million copies. Halo that i don’t like at all sold already for 6-7 million and it’s absolutely arcadish piece of SHIT that is not standing even close to CoD or any other FPS or GAME (i mean in quality that it sucks, even campaign in Black Ops is a masterpiece compared to that…).

“L4D2 is an upgrade on L4D? Really? You honestly want to stick with that point of view?”

and what? Much more fun and much more content. Characters are interesting. Have interesting stories. Much more stuff to do in there, than in zombie mode.
    zombie mode in CoD btw is really fun. Played only without friends with few random guys. It’s fun, but nothing more.

” Epic keeps churning out Gears of War, just as Treyarch and IW keep churning out CoDs, and that’s obviously great for Gears of War fans, but a revolution it ain’t.”

Gears Of war makes only one team and it is revolutionary TPS game, not to mention about their Unreal Tournament games + Bulletstorm from people can fly. Valve is always brilliant with it’s Portals, Half-lifes and CS’s.

“It’s just a simple, fun, twitch-action shooter. The fact that people don’t seem to understand that after 7 or 8 games is pretty baffling. If it was ever meant to change, it would’ve done so by now.”

and thats not cool. Just more of the same. Meh…

24. DSB

@23 You don’t have to care whether it’s historical or not, I was simply saying that I think it’s badass. If you disagree, that’s your opinion, but why waste letters responding to that if you think it’s irrelevant?

“Bioshock isn’t tactical and it has no vehicles!” – Nope, it really isn’t, and it really doesn’t. Surprise huh?

If you want tactics, play Brothers in Arms or Rogue Spear, if you want simulation, play ArmA or KA-52 Blackshark, if you want story, play Deus Ex or Undying.

CoD is nothing more than a nice, digital action movie for people who enjoy that sort of thing. It’s not supposed to be tactical, deep or vehicle based, because that’s not what we want.

I agree that Halo succeeds on the exact same principles, and I think it’s just as well deserved.

That being said, I can think of few other games that makes me want to survive first and shoot second than CoD on Hardened or Veteran difficulty, which is exactly what you’d do in a real combat situation.

CoD revolutionized as much as Gears of War did, except half a decade earlier. No one had seen anything like it. MoH might have laid the groundwork, but they didn’t define the genre.

If you don’t like the game, then that’s your right. No one is forcing you or anyone else to buy it. A lot of us just choose to do so.

25. reask

Jeez Erth Im glad Im not as great as you at gaming.
    The world must tremble when they see your name in the lobby.
    Where’s that gears video btw?

I reckon myself you do a good talk and that’s about it.
    Why not man up and get that 360 a little early and you can add the rest of us inferior gamers to your list and show us all how its done.

I think not.
    F**king nothing worse than a 12 year old been left unattended with a PC there imagination knows no boundaries.

26. stretch215

Obviously the cod bashers are in the VAST minority here as the 4+ million people online and all the reviews beg to differ. I’m just sayin’.

27. DSB

@26 Well obviously, but the funny thing is that a lot of CoD bashers are also CoD buyers. I mean, where’s Freud when you need him?

28. Erthazus

“I think it’s badass”

For you.

“that if you think it’s irrelevant?”

It’s just nothing special.

“You don’t seem to understand that it isn’t supposed to be a tactical shooter, an infantry simulator or anything even remotely like that. A game is no more than what it is. If you choose to judge a game by what it’s not, rather than by what it is, then every game can easily be called an abject failure. ”

I just want better graphics, new gameplay features and balance in game, is that hard? Thats it. No one said it must be a simulation game. Better story? Why it should not have one? It should, but yeah… Children will eat it up and will play linear singleplayer campaign.
    + modes like capture the flag and e.t.c. in most cases don’t work, because everyone just wants to kill everyone. Every game mode is just a simple team deathmatch. At least thanks for the Killstreak balance and i said before that they need to balance them and they did it.

@reask,
    “Why not man up and get that 360 ”

No thanks mate, i’m not that stupid to buy Overpriced hardware to play with children or Justin Bieber fans like yourself. Good luck pal, i’m feeling just fine playing on Steam with my friends :D where i use mouse, not AUTO AIM.

29. DSB

@28 The words “I think” pretty much makes it clear that I’m stating my own personal opinion, yup. Although I’m pretty sure that others will see the humor in killing zombies in the Pentagon with Richard Nixon.

A few minutes ago you were critisizing the game for being simple action with no tactics and vehicles. Now it’s the graphics and the story? Why on earth are you buying the game, exactly?

Of course all games should try to be all things to all people, but in reality, they’re never going to be. CoD has a token story that’s only meant to link the gameplay together, and that’s how it’s always been.

The thing is, you’ve had 7 or 8 games to figure out that that’s how the series works. Why start getting offended now?

I think you should save yourself the disappointment and refrain from buying the next one. Clearly it’s only going to ruin your day.

Absolutely true about Capture the Flag, though. I’ve had maybe one or two good sessions playing that, and both were with clans and friends. Thankfully CoD has a lot of other game modes to choose from.

30. Dannybuoy

I wasn’t going to buy it, but Sainsburys has a special £10 off deal with my shopping. So went for it. And I think it’s much better than MW2 so far. It;s quite fun and it deserves to sell well.

31. MegaGeek1

I think we can all thank Eminem. Again.

32. M2Kx

So raise your hands everyone who owns it already.

(I do not :/)

33. reask

Who is Justin Bieber erth?
    There is no auto aim on multi as far as I know.
    Anyway my offer still stands Erth.
    reask is my gamertag.
    I only have managed about a 0.80 K/D so far so I should be easy pickings for someone as good as you LMAO.
    We Irish never turn down a challenge m8 so I would expect no difference from a eastern European.

I await the day to be humiliated by one so superior. ;)