Future Rock Band DLC to be incompatible with Rock Band 1 and 2

Wednesday, 10th November 2010 04:02 GMT By Nathan Grayson

rockband3

Rock Band 3′s a definite must-buy.

No, we mean that. You must buy it if you want to keep downloading Rock Band DLC.

Speaking with Joystiq, a Harmonix representative explained that Rock Band DLC released after October 26, 2010 – a date that, for those who’ve recently awoken from a coma, has already passed – won’t make sweet, sweet music with RB1 or 2 “due to the new authoring standards, inclusion of new instruments, new lighting / venue cues, etc.”

If it’s any consolation, the colossal mountain of music available before that date is unaffected by the new policy.

Also, Rock Band 3 is apparently kind of decent or whatever – if the words “greatest music game of all time” mean anything to you. They probably don’t. Also, no pig men. That’s a pretty big deal-breaker for us.

1. Psychotext

I wonder if this will come back to haunt them given the… uhh… lackluster sales of Rock Band 3.

2. jacobvandy

@1 Have figures been announced? I imagine it at least did loads better than Warriors of Rock (I admit I was one of those 86,000, though, needed my fix before RB3 landed).

3. The_Deleted

Rock Band 3 had sold fuck all last I’d heard, less than 10k!!!
    I notice all the RB2 DLC has been taken off the menu screen, too so what happens if I fuck up again and lose all my DLC, only to find I can’t DL it… again?

4. OlderGamer

Harmonix just laid a dude and poured stupidity over the top of it.

I bet RB3 sold somewhere between 150K and 200K. More then GH WoR, I know more then a couple of people that have bought RB3, I know no one that bought GHwor.

However those aren’t great sales numbers either.

The game itself RB3, imo, stinks. For a lot of reasons it just doesn’t have the magic the other two did. And worse, I need a drum kit. I was using a RBone set and they just recently broke. My choices are few. I can not and will not go buy a 250usd set. Its too much money, and some sets are higher priced then that. The lack of a full band bundle is imo, killing them.

I think what they have done is gone from the king of casual/party/group game to something only the dedicated few will follow. Again with/out a drum kit it is hard for me to entertain RB parties(which I used to do). But certianly I can’t bet the only one out there that won’t spend so much cash on a kit … made by Madcats of all people(because nothing says poor quality like Madcats). And the guitars they are selling for 150(the pro ones)! Gimmie a break, who is going to do that? Very few people indeed. Like I said the dedicated few.

My plan is to wait till GHwor tanks and kits the bargin bin, and then buy a full band bundle for less then 100(prolly next spring), or buy a blowout Beatles bundle for around the same price.

These two games have all but killed the band music games. Next up: (in my best David Bowe voice)Lets Dance! Dancing games with motion controls will be the next big thing, but they won’t apeal to the same wide range of audiances that the band games did.

5. Psychotext

@jacobvandy: What #3 said basically. In the UK it sold 7,386 copies in the first week and then fell out of the top 40 in week 2. Really, really, really bad start.

@4: Why do you need a pro drum kit? You can pick up a normal one for £10 in some places right now.

6. OlderGamer

The cheapest I can find a drum kit for was 40usd/used. It was a GHWT kit, I bought it, I loved it, it was built far better then the RB ones. However it doesn’t work very well at all in RB3. Plus being used it is a little quirky when it comes to Yellow cymbol. Works good enough to enjoy in GH games(I play on hard mode drums), but it is frustrating as all hell in RB3. Works well enough in RB1/2. You might think it is calibration problem but it isn’t. You can watch it in trainging mode the beats register, then don’t, then register again. On all pads/cymbols.

I have talked to other music game fans and they said the samething the GH drums don’t work the best in RB games. And the price of non pro drums … don’t exsist around here. Your two choices are old GH/BH bundles or Beatles bundles. OR 200 – 300 usd pro ones. The ION kit is more. I just want a basic(because lets face it, they are gonna need replacing anyways) inexpensive drum kit for 50usd. It used to be no problem, now I can’t find em.

7. Psychotext

Didn’t realise you were in the US. Changes things. ;)