Homefront screens and preview denote a shooter that draws an emotional response

Saturday, 6th November 2010 18:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

homefront

THQ’s Kaos-made FPS Homefront has a few new screenshots for it, and we’ve got ‘em for you below.

The game’s been previewed by quite a few different sites over the last week or so, and it sound like an interesting shooter, and one THQ’s Danny Bilson believes will “compete” with others of the same genre.

According to the game’s lead level designer Rex Dickson, the development team’s goal is “to make you feel emotion” and if the preview posted on Kotaku is anything to go by, this goal was met in spades.

“I heard the pitched, despairing voice of a mother telling her child not to look. To turn away. To not let what was going to happen next be an unforgettable scar. The scene came into view: a child wailing as his parents are lined up against a wall and shot to death.

I wanted to climb out of that bus and take action. Soon, a resistance fighter rammed the bus with a truck, freed my character and handed me a machine gun. For the first time in a war game, I wanted to make the bad guys pay.”

Heavy stuff.

Homefront releases next March for PS3, 360 and PC. A multiplayer demo is planned.

1. A4-F8

it looks alright

2. Erthazus

I’m interested in this.

3. OrbitMonkey

If anyone at THQ has any sense, Team America skins will be available for the multiplayer :D

4. polygem

I didnt follow articles about the game cause i thought its just another boring mediocore fps. I did read a preview recently though and it sounds damn good. I like the story idea of it.

5. YoungZer0

@4: The story is probably the worst part about the whole thing. Really, the dictator dies and South and North Korea are becoming allies just after one year? Then the Japanese ally with them. You like that kind of story?

6. stretch215

Sounds great on paper, hopefully the gameplay is solid. You can have the greatest concepts in the world but if you can’t translate them into a solid gameplay experience it’s all for nothing. At least it isn’t releasing until march, maybe the cod and battlefield guys (myself included) will be willing to try something new by then. Maybe…. I also like the story.

7. Erthazus

@5 It’s something new and you never know, maybe it’s going to be good or bad. Play it until you will judge it.

I’m interested in this FPS. At least it’s not Good Americans VS Bad Russians or Americans are good again and everybody else is evil or Call OF duty style of campaigns.

8. YoungZer0

@7: What? Did you even pay any attention to the article at all? The americans are good again and everybody else is evil. In this case it’s Korea.

I don’t need to see the final product to know that the story is complete and utter bullshit already. If you knew anything about the situation of South and North Korea you’d think the same.

9. OrbitMonkey

@8 Well who else they gonna use? I think the North Koreans are the only politically correct and fictionally acceptable bad guy out there.

10. guapo

@8 Of course the americans are good, we’re the best :). So what? Orbit monkey is right, N. korea are really the only relevant “bad guys ” we have right now. Also I know plenty about korea since the war and a unification can be made totally plausible in a work of FICTION, such as this game. See what I did there? FICTION!!!! You know, like, not real?

11. Erthazus

@8 America is not good. America just defending it’s country from the Korea and thats it.
    It’s just a fiction. Original one. I don’t remember FPS game this generation with “Koreans attacking US”. If it’s going to be like in Modern Warfare 2 where Russians attacks US just because of a small conflict without any negotiations, than this is crap, if there will be something clever and in the same time entertaining… Well, i want to see that. Personally, i give it a chance.

12. Freek

So basicly CoD meets Half Life, not a bad thing if they manage to pull that off, but that’s a high bar to set.