The Witcher 2 dev diary is all about the tech

Friday, 5th November 2010 21:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

thewitcher2

CD Projekt has put out a new dev diary chatting about the firm’s new game engine, which is being used for The Witcher 2.

Are you a tech junkie? Like knowing how things are created? Then you’re going to love all nine minutes of this video.

The Witcher 2 is out in 2011 for PC.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. abbe

Very impressive engine in this game, hopefully its optimized so it can look pretty at lower settings as well.

2. Callum

Anyone see their presentation at Eurogamer? What a fucking distaster!
    “We have 100+ enemies on screen! Look”

“you can’t attack them…they are…demons and they dissapear”

Ok, so you have 4 different animations isntanced in memory, and you are just displaying each one 25 times. Well done.

“Our engine is built around role playing”

So your engine can display text boxes ‘better’ than the others, and has a slighly easier script layout for adding voice acting. Brilliant.

“The choices you make will have a real affect”

SOO many games promise this and completely fuck it up, from what I saw at EG, this is going to be a massive dissapointment.

3. Callum

I should add that obviously, if the gameplay is very well thought out and enjoyable, I will play it and forgive their false promises :)

4. Maximum Unreal

2@ Stop Trolling if you played Witcher 1 you would know it is one of best RPG this generation and Witcher 2 is going to be even better.

5. Lord Gremlin

@4: I’ve played Witcher 1 and that’s one of the most boring RPGs I’ve ever touched. Also, worst combat system and worst optimization I’ve ever seen. Never understood the praise. I can agree that Planetscape, BG1 and 2, Dragon Age are good RPGs. There are many others. But Witcher 1 is garbage.
    Of course it’s my opinion, but it’s hard to argue about combat and optimization. There is a reason they don’t release it on consoles: this game will never pass any basic quality control.

6. Callum

Maximum Unreal, fair enough defend your purchase, but please don’t resort to calling me a troll.

I played number 1, I got it cheap in one of those amazing steam deals from last year ( I am WELL looking forward to what they will do this Xmass too ) and I played it for 2-3 hours in total…the combat as the above poster agrees was god awfull and it wasn’t easy on the eyes either. I didn’t get the whole “RPG Engine” because it wasn’t doing anything dramatically different from other RPGs.

Once again; I aint’ no troll!

7. AssAssIn0009

lap lap la a lot talking & nothing new

8. endgame

Callum and Gremlin u r both f**king trolls.

Unreal well said m8! :)

9. YoungZer0

@5: So you never played Witcher Enhanced Edition?

10. endgame

ok I’ve just finished watching the movie. AWESOME! :D march 2011 seems so far away.. :(

oh and I don’t want to look like an idiot or something but the polish r really stylish when it comes to their looks. kind of like japanese r.

11. Erthazus

I don’t know about you people. Maybe battle system in Witcher 1 was broken but it was one of the best RPG games. Dialogs and RPG system was perfect.

It’s not about battle system, it’s about RPG and it was perfect.

I can not wait for Witcher 2. They made a better engine and reworked everything.

12. endgame

hey I have a question: does anyone know what’s going on with the company’s 2 leads? r they back from vacation? r they ok?

13. Dralen

@6 2-3 hours! The whole game takes 40 hours minimum to complete, and you think you gave the game a fair chance for your trolling bullshit!!! You played about 2% of the game!

I don’t want to hear your judgements about a game, when all you’ve basically done is installed the game on your computer.

14. Callum

Eurgh, so much hate for just putting my opinion out there. Lighten up guys.
    I know 2-3 hours may not seem like a long time, but surely its long enough for me to get a decent impression of what is to come? I didn’t enjoy what I saw, so I didn’t carry on?
    I did the same thing with Fallout 3, I played a few hours, got bord and left it at that!
    No need to get all defensive about it, jees.

15. Dralen

Sorry mate, I may have overreacted. I probably made it sound worse than I meant to by adding lots of exclamation marks.

I will now go see a psychiatrist about anger management :P.

16. Callum

Lol, you tit :)
    In fairness, I think I will give it another go over christmass. Obviously people really loved the first one, prehaps I missed something in my brief encounter with it.

17. DaMan

meh, I’m with Lord. and skipping this one for sure.

18. KrazyKraut

2-3 hrs? boring? dudes its not the Glitcher, its the Witcher. I think its just to good for you. go play Gothic. ^^ kthxbye