Epic: Gears of War possible on iPhone in two years

Thursday, 4th November 2010 03:42 GMT By Nathan Grayson

gearsofwar24

The future, it’s coming on. It’s coming on. It’s coming on.

“I didn’t take it that seriously until we started making this game. Now I’m like, ‘Oh my goodness, this is literally going to be the best looking handheld game ever made’. It’s way beyond what a DS or PSP could do,” Epic/Chair Entertainment’s Donald Mustard told Eurogamer while talking about the recently renamed Infinity Blade.

“I think it’s going to be an interesting future, especially if in two years we can really run Gears of War on an iPhone.”

“If not two years, then certainly five years,” technical director Germey Mustard added. “Well, it could be as soon as two years but within five years that will certainly be the case. It will at least be powerful enough to do that.”

Of course, all the hyper-detailed fence textures and skin pours with their own physics engines in the world don’t mean jack squat if you have to squint until your eyes bleed to see them. Donald, however, sees the future playing out on screens both large and small – but you’ll still be able to feel the beating heart of the whole operation thumping away in the palm of your hand.

“What is that going to mean for gaming? Am I going to be able to be able to play Red Dead Redemption on it then press pause, put it down in front of my TV and plug in an HDMI cable and keep going?

“There’s such a cool future there. It’s an interesting time to be a consumer right now and to be a developer.”

We really couldn’t agree more. Get excited, people. This right here – this is the real next generation.

1. freedoms_stain

“Am I going to be able to be able to play Red Dead Redemption on it then press pause, put it down in front of my TV and plug in an HDMI cable and keep going?”

Hopefully it would link up wirelessly.

I fucking hate wires. This is my 2nd anti-wires rant today. FUCK WIRES!

Aside from that, unless there is a decent hardware control cradle or something like the alleged PSPhone I don’t want to be playing games like Gears or RDR on a touchscreen device.

2. Chris2pher_Jack

@1, if it means saving $50, i’ll gladly deal with the wires :D in fact, having a cordless phone is a real pain, can’t use it in a blackout, costs multiple times more, becomes easy to lose & no one can put it back on the damn hook properly so it goes flat!
    & when i have the choice out of paying $60 for a wireless controller (+$25 for rechargeable batteries & cord or countless batteries) or $30 for a wired controller, i would gladly save money & get the wired controller.
    On a side note, the dualshock 3 costs the same here as the Move starter pack, isn’t that weird?

3. rainer

Why on earth would you want to play a third person cover based shooter on an iOS device ?

No buttons and awkward finger presses on the screen trying to control movement and camera.

Technology moves at a fast pace so yeah something of the visual fidelity like Gears would be possible eventually but that doesn’t mean you should do it or its a good idea. Plus the cost of developing games like that is very likely not financially viable for iOS as consumers are used to very low game prices and there is fierce resistance to any price hikes.

I dont think Epic’s business model (technology arm’s race) is going to work on the iPhone.

4. DBZ0wnz

Now let’s see if you can do Uncharted 2, wait that’s a whole new story, Hehe…

5. pspgamer01

wtf after 2 years there are a whole new bunch of devices like the psp2.

6. 2plus2equals5

I think it will be possible, but we(you) play gow with 2 analogs + a dozen buttons, how can we play a real gow with a touchscreen?

I hope psp2 can do the same or better :)

7. CycloneFox

I doubt you’ll ever be able to plug a HDMI cable into your iPhone or iPad.

But Sony always keeps those standarts, so you’ll ever be able to use standart interfaces in their devices. For example, the PSP uses Mini-USB and standart component video. So you are already able to plugin your HD-TV, lay the PSPGo next to your TV and control via Bluetooth with your PS3 controler.
    And that will always stay like that, the PSP2 will most likely also have Mini-USB and Bluetooth for connection to the PC or PS3 controler, and also this time, HDMI for displaying HD.