Kinect hits US tomorrow, freebies being handed out during Times Square launch festivities

Wednesday, 3rd November 2010 15:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

toysrus

Microsoft will launch Kinect in the US tomorrow, and to get folks pumped to the max for it, the firm will be holding a launch party in NYC’s Times Square.

The festivities take place at the Toys R Us store located on the famous square, and the first 3,000 people to line up and purchase Kinect will receive a free copy of Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride, along with a one-year Xbox Live Gold subscription.

In addition to the lucky 3,000 fans, the Xbox “prize patrol” will also be handing out commemorative gear and prizes to others standing in the buy line.

Free always equals awesome.

1. Razor

I hope this thing bombs.

2. Blerk

People have been queueing since yesterday. The nutters.

3. Razor

Oh well, guess it’s not gonna bomb then. Stupid Yanks

(no offence Steph :P)

4. themadjock

How appropriate.. TOYS r us not Gamestop or Best Buy or whatever other US GAME stores there are

5. Michael O’Connor

@4 “Gaming device does not target me, thereby it must suck.”

I swear, the stupidity of the internet is going to give me an anuerism one of these day…

6. get2sammyb

@5 – I don’t think it’s hostility towards the device, more the way it’s been promoted.

7. Gekidami

Isnt this the exact same place where Nintendo launched the Wii?

8. Michael O’Connor

@6 I.E. not at them.

9. Stephany Nunneley

@3 No offense taken! I’m a southerner anyway :P

10. Jan

Does anybody know where you can get preorder for the Kinect in UK/Ireland? since I can’t find anywhere where that have any left, and at Games they told me “We are hoping to get more before Christmass but we cannot promiss it” they already got a big “queu for getting onto the preorder list” you could get signed up to…..

11. Gekidami

Southerners are the worst! :P

12. Psychotext

@Jan: Your only real option at the moment is buying one that’s bundled with a console. They’re far easier to get hold of.

Edit – Actually scratch that, gamestation seem to have stock again: http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/Accessory/~r420596/KinectWithKinectAdventures/

13. CaptPierce

I may not be religious, but I am praying as hard as I can for Kinect to tank. Please oh please let it tank.

14. M2Kx

Ridiculous people are ridiculous…

15. themadjock

@6 Well said… We all know Michael can get a bit “passionate” sometimes.

16. Blerk

What’s wrong with how it’s being promoted?

17. Stephany Nunneley

@9 Well, ya got me there! :D

18. Psychotext

@17: Some mentalists even reply to themselves on forums, mostly southerners I reckon…

19. Michael O’Connor

@10 I ordered mine in Xtra-Vision… months ago. My local one hasn’t reached full capacity for pre-orders yet, so you might be lucky with other ones around the country.

@15 No, I just detest stupidity.

@16 It’s targeting families and younger people, instead of only trying to appeal to spotty nerds who like to live in their parents.

That’s what’s “wrong” with it.

20. themadjock

Blerk, Seriously $500 Million Dollars and you ask that question

21. Blerk

Why does that matter? It’s not my $500m.

22. Michael O’Connor

@20 Yeah, because this is totally the first time a company has ever spent exuberant amounts of money promoting things… *rolls eyes*

Chance of aneurism… rising…

23. Psychotext

Might be best if you just go for it O’Connor. You can read the site with the equivalent mental capacity of most of the recent additions then. :D

That said, it may have already happened: “spotty nerds who like to live in their parents”

24. themadjock

@22 Yeah but I hate Apple too :).Chill out dude. Your excited about the fun you will have with your nephew and that’s fine just remember that when peole are excited about a game/tech launch you don’t have to post negatively and spoil their excitment for it (God of War 3). Sorry, but you really pee’d me off around that time. Let’s call it quits and move along

25. Blerk

“spotty nerds who like to live in their parents”

:-D

26. Michael O’Connor

@24 That falls back on my long held mantra.

“There’s no such thing as bad hardware. Just bad games.”

Criticise the games, not Kinect. And from my personal experience, some of them aren’t actually half bad.

27. NiceFellow

I always feel people who wait in lines like this must be very special.

Looking forward to seeing how Kinect does BTW.

28. themadjock

@26 Does that mantra work for the Virtual Boy…..?

29. stretch215

Why would anyone “pray” for kinect or anything else game-related to fail? Is it really that serious? Did one of those kinect’s beat you up in school or something? Of course not because it’s a GAME PERIPHERAL, not your local bully(who was probably a girl). :)

30. Michael O’Connor

@28 Yep. Some of its handful of games weren’t half bad.

@29 Exactly. I don’t get why anyone wants anything to fail. It’s incredibly petty.

31. Psychotech

@29 maybe because they want companies like Microsoft to learn something out of it.Instead of exaggerating with tacky advertising over an overhyped product throwing in huge ammounts of cash they could do something more creative which really deserves praise.
    No hard feelings with Microsoft but they’re treating the consumer kind of like cattle with this one for crying out loud

32. Michael O’Connor

@31 “Instead of exaggerating with tacky advertising over an overhyped product throwing in huge ammounts of cash.”

That’s strategy has worked for decades, so why stop now?

The fact that the device is actually fun to play and family inclusive is besides the point, of course…

33. lexph3re

Psychotext +20

34. akula_matata

@31 you silly boy.

35. Psychotech

@32 the device is fun but it’s still questionable given of it’s quality of how long that fun can last.

that strategy always worked only on consumerists and what are consumerists?i’ll let you figure that out.

@34 Since i’m silly prove yourself. akula_matata seriously?

36. OrbitMonkey

Surely some of this hate from the 360 fans must be because so many of them took the piss out of the Wii (Arf!) Calling it childish & whatnot, but ever since its release the 360 has slowly been transformed into the Wii 2. Even the new background is Wii-ish.