Crytek UK wants Haze to be remembered “a little more gently than when it was released”

Wednesday, 3rd November 2010 12:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

haze

Remember Haze? That shooter from Free Radical, published by Ubisoft and was a PS3 exclusive? Didn’t go down too well? Its developer wants you to remember it. A lot more “gently”.

The developer now known as Crytek UK has told EG it wants the shooter, the last that was made under its former incarnation before going into administration, to be remembered a bit more kindly.

“We were surprised by how poorly it was received,” said head Karl Hilton.

“We felt it had a lot of good elements in, which just didn’t seem to get picked up at all.

“But it’s a fickle industry and things move quickly. If you get a few things wrong and people pick up on it… And Haze wasn’t a perfect product. Clearly it wasn’t. But it wasn’t as bad as some of the reviews and feedback made out.”

Hilton adds the developer wants the shooter to be remembered the same way another one of its previous titles, Second Sight, was treated.

“It’s interesting. Obviously time will tell,” he said.

“Second Sight was another game we did that got pretty average reviews, but these days seems to be remembered very fondly. At the time when we launched that we were disappointed it didn’t do better than it did because we felt it had a lot of good elements in it.

“I don’t think anyone will claim it was an unrecognised classic, but maybe they’ll treat it a little more gently than it got treated when it was released. That would be nice.”

Haze released in May 2008 for PS3 from Ubisoft. It was, quite bluntly, shit, according to the reviews it got.

It has a 55 on Meta.

1. Psychotext

Get over it FR, it was a shockingly poor game.

Also, REMEMBER YOUR PROMISE TO MERINO.

2. RETARDED VIKING

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    *GASPS FOR AIR*
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……that’s a good one

3. RETARDED VIKING

I did enjoyed Second Sight though.

4. StaceyEmerson

trophy patch? lmao

5. Ghost_Dog

I’m going to say it…

…I actually quite liked Haze. True, it wasn’t a classic, but it had a few good ideas and I liked the variation in locations. Multiplayer wasn’t too bad either.

6. RETARDED VIKING

Although, Psi-Ops is better XD.

7. Gekidami

I thought Haze had a really interesting concept, but it was just so poorly made…

8. Blerk

Second Sight was definitely my favourite Free Radical game. I’d still like a sequel to that.

9. Robo_1

Whilst Haze was no classic, I really do believe it suffered for being a PS3 exclusive, at a time when PS3 desperately needed a really good exclusive. The fact is it needed to be a total jaw dropper, and with it being developed by a leading FPS developer, Free Radical, who were bigging it up massively, a lot of people were expecting something of AAA quality.

What was delivered was a technically shoddy, pretty run of the mill shooter. I do believe the use of Necatar added some great moments to the game, and the online co-op was a welcome feature.

I’d certainly defend it against any claim that it was ‘shockingly poor’ as it really wasn’t. It was just average, when it needed to be excellent.

10. NiceFellow

6 out of 10 – solid but flawed in a number of ways. Basically shooting and concept was okay and coop was actually good, but I think @9 is right – it landed as an average title when everyone was demanding a great title and got savaged as a result as an awful title.

11. Talyis

I have to say I loved this game I’m so tired of games like MW2 getting all this fake hype and review scores yet a company tries making something a little different, and is pushed aside, Haze wasn’t the best game but it was not bad by any means, It certainly had a better story than MW2 and longer one and I also think the bad reviews came from all the bad talk about the PS3 during that time! I honestly hope maybe one day they will make a sequel but I highly doubt it!

12. GitForceGemini

Remember it for what it was supposed to be, not for what it was.

13. LOLshock94

haze is fucking awesome game.

anything radical make is a good game

god bless free radical!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. LordCancer

I wanted to play haze but, I bought an xbox 360… oops.

15. Michael O’Connor

Never understood the Haze hate myself. I thought the game was decent enough.

16. tenthousandgothsonacid

I met a guy at a wedding who’d worked on it. Even he referred to it as ‘Haze-lol’.

17. mattrobbo670

i liked the game and if we would have all bought it we would have another timesplitters by now

18. G1GAHURTZ

Haze was rubbish.

19. No_PUDding

The answer Free Radical is; let us organise our makeup draw and then when you buy us some flowers, maybe we’ll frgive you.

How many of you have actually played it? It didn’t do well enough for it to be many. It really wasn’t that bad, it was just mediocre.

20. Psychotext

“It really wasn’t that bad, it was just mediocre.”

Depends if you could look past the numerous graphical / technical issues.

21. Michael O’Connor

@19 I did.

Had some nice ideas, and an interesting story. Certainly better than any of that Halo nonsense.