Kinect the “the centerpiece of our strategy,” says new Rare boss

Friday, 29th October 2010 11:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

kinectsideview

New Rare boss Scott Henson has told Eurogamer that, while it won’t be working on games for it exclusively, Kinect is the studio’s “centerpiece” right now.

Henson, who was announced on Thursday night to become the new head of the UK based developer, said the tech is a “key part” of its future.

“We’re just starting to scratch the surface with how you interact with your body, how you become a part of that experience and how you use your voice to control things,” he said.

“Rare is going to continue to do what first-party does, which is innovate and push the boundaries of what that means. We’ve got lots and lots of years of innovation ahead of us.”

He added: “Yes, absolutely, Kinect will be a key part of the studio’s future. I’m not suggesting it’s going to be exclusive, but it will be the centrepiece of our strategy for sure, because there is a lot of opportunity there. It’s bold and bright.”

He also hinted at the studio poking even more at its back catalog with Kinect support. Kinect Conker, anyone?

“You can look at what we’re doing with Xbox Live Arcade and you can see how we’ve taken those classics and refreshed them and brought them to the service. We’ll continue to look at those kinds of opportunities.

“Don’t just think about packaged goods in terms of opportunities and Rare and how we bring those things to life.”

There’s more at the link above.

1. StolenGlory

I think we can safely file this one under ‘No Shit’.

2. James Mac

What happened to the last boss of Rare?

3. Eregol

Well, seeing as Rare don’t exactly push out a lot of titles I see pretty much their future titles being for Kinect for a considerable period of time.

Haven’t they actually released some DS games since they got bought by MS?

4. Psychotext

Diddy Kong Racing DS and Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise.

5. brotherhoodofthewolf

they can’t compete in the core games space anymore so they’re gonna produce some shovelware with a bit better graphics and hope no-one notices?

6. polygem

soemone has to do the dirty work i guess

7. Gurdil

I tried Kinect at Paris Games Week yesterday. It’s just… terrible! Not only are the games uninteresting but the technology itself doesn’t work properly. It’s awfully slow and doesn’t read all body moves. I was curious but now I know I’ll pass.

8. NoxNoctisUmbra

Kinect the “the centerpiece of our strategy,

So that means if Kinect fails, they fail..

9. Jan

7# Gurdil: Surprise I tried it to and it worked fine, can you please stop whine all the time and stay on topic please? maybe you could go back to your one Move game? or did you already get tired of that?

10. NoxNoctisUmbra

#7 and #9

Either way, there is not great gaming library, so I wont pick up up. I do not think its wroth for now to pick it up just for a movie and menus remote.. Unless you have little kids in the house, or love kids games.

11. freedoms_stain

“Microsoft own our asses, they say jump, we say ‘how high?’”

Kinect tour is in Scotland this weekend, hoping to get a shot tomorrow in Edinburgh.

12. Suikoden Fan

i’m sure many will agree when i say that the fall of ‘Rare’ is one of the most depressing things to happen in the games industry

13. freedoms_stain

I don’t, last Rare game I really really enjoyed was on the SNES.

Donkey Kong Country 3, and that wasn’t as good as Donkey Kong Country 1.