Study: Kinect to be “big game winner” this holiday season

Thursday, 28th October 2010 08:00 GMT By Nathan Grayson

kinectsideview

Sony, you might want to start bundling up for a long, cold winter, because science just gave the holiday 2010 nod to your main competitor.

Well, market science, anyway. Market research firm Ipsos recently conducted a study of potential market success, which based its results off purchase intent, price/value, uniqueness, and believability. After the final scores were tallied, Kinect took gold with 130 out of a possible 200, while Move huffed and puffed across the finish line moments later with 110.

What made the study worthwhile, however, were the consumer quirks it managed to pick up on. For one, apparently the average shopper finds it more plausible that Kinect – an unproven, mostly unprecedented motion camera – will function as intended than Move, whose proof-of-concept has already been on the market for four years.

“Given a new usage experience, one might expect some level of skepticism among respondents for Kinect,” Ipsos said in a statement to GameSpot. “Surprisingly, though, Kinect excels on both uniqueness and believability versus other tech products in the Vantis database. PS Move is rather weak on both dimensions.”

Crazy, huh? Especially after Microsoft’s said certain things would work in the past, and they, well, didn’t. Nothing against Microsoft, mind you, but videogame consumers, your logic just lost us. We blame Oprah.

1. ybfelix

The tone of this post is so un-VG247-super-happy-smile-go-buy-it-optimism

2. Eregol

It’s all Oprah’s fault.
    I still can’t see Kinect being as good as everyone thinks it will be.
    Stupidly enough, from watching the 1 hour Gamespot vid yesterday, it’s the third party offerings that seem to be doing better with the tech than the MS first party stuff.

Until MS can get decent first party stuff out there Kinect is gonna be a bit of a black hole for them.

3. pukem0n

well, i’d rather have this at home than those pink dildos
    but as a core gamer i guess i wont get any of those two in the foreseeable future

4. justiceblob

Well, as a core gamer, I’ll be having both by the time Christmas rolls around. This ‘I’m a core gamer so this doesn’t apply to me’ stuff is bullshit, and is only proposed by elitist cunts.

AAAANNNDDDD I’m done.

5. Erthazus

@4″Well, as a core gamer”

Than you are not. That thing is just another SEGA CD.

Stupid overpriced junk that after few 1-2 games you won’t need it.

6. Psychotext

So does being a core gamer automatically exclude trying different things Erthazus? I’m very much a core gamer and I’m looking forward to playing a couple of things on this come xmas break.

Edit – Actually the second part of justiceblob’s post probably said it better than I could.

7. justiceblob

@5 How does trying new things stop me from being a core gamer?
    You don’t see to have picked it up, so I’ll spell it out for you:
    As a long time reader, less often commentor, you get to notice things that people who are constantly arguing with each other perhaps don’t. Because I’m excited for Kinect, I like to read and follow all of the related comments and articles, and lo and behold, it’s always you being among the first to put it down. You seem to do that with an awful lot of things… a bit like an elitist cunt to be honest.

8. The_Red

Kinect has Oprah stunt. That alone will help give it a much bigger chance than Move specially considering Sony’s bad marketing.
    Sure, Kinect’s ads are disgusting but only to us.
    To the target audience that they are made for, they probably look great and MS has been pushing Kinect more than Sony has been pushing Move.

Finally… there is Dance Central.

9. Ingmar

@4 and @7:

Great postings. 100% agree.

10. Gekidami

I’ll call the Wii Fit effect on in this; It’ll sell well (but, but not as well as Wii Fit) but will be put away forever after only a few games.

11. Psychotech

@10 Agree Kinect and especially Dance Central will be the center of talk for months then everyone will forget about them

One piece of advice Dance Central looks awesome but do not try to pull off it’s moves in a club or something if you don’t want to cause laughters.These moves suit at best for a music video clip not a club.

12. Michael O’Connor

@5 You’re an idiot.

13. Erthazus

@4,7
    “How does trying new things stop me from being a core gamer?”

Nothing, but telling everyone that you are so “Hardcore” and because of that you are going to try “New things” that are NOT new at all is just stupid and ridiculous.

I’m sure that when you are playing COD on your consoles you think: I’m so “Hardcore”. :D

That definition as Hardcore does not exist and you are trying to insult people who says that it is crap: “and is only proposed by elitist cunts”

Elitist cunts have a taste to not buy this piece of …. . Plain and simple. If you like these peripherals than sit quietly.

@Michael O’Connor, shitty peripheral fanatic just shut up and go play with your Move.

14. justiceblob

@13 You’re just like the new TEA aren’t you?

i only said I was a core gamer because #3 said that they were a core gamer and therefore didn’t need or want Kinect (for now).

15. Michael O’Connor

@13 Well, at least that makes a change of insult from being called a hater of a console I both own and heavily support.

Unfortunately, you’re still an idiot.

And they didn’t call themselves hardcore gamers, they pointed out that being a core gamer (someone actively participating in the hobby) doesn’t stop them from trying new experiences. You’re just putting words in people’s mouth and seeing things that aren’t there.

16. NiceFellow

130 to 110 out of 200? If I was Sony I wouldn’t bother bundling up, that implies both Move and Kinect should do okay.

The odd confidence in Kinect is, well, odd, but may be down to simply more product placement and featuring giving confidence in the device.

The real question for me is whether Kinect/Move will exist next to Wii demand or will eat into it? All news is so keen to focus on MS vs Sony but I’d say the bigger question is really how the new devices will sell next to existing Wii demand.

17. Psychotext

What a clown.

@16: Wii demand is dying down quite significantly. At the moment shipments are down vs the previous few years quite significantly.

Q1 + Q2 Wii Shipments:

06: 10.1m
    07: 13.4m
    08: 13.7m
    09: 11.7m
    10: 6.7m

That’s a 51% drop in sales vs its peak, and a 43% drop vs last year. Not good.

18. Gadzooks!

Shut the fuck up Erthazus, you pompous arrogant insignificant know-nothing.

Justiceblob totally nailed it, and your stupid incessant need to catagorise everything and put down anyone that doesnt fit in your category is pathetic.

Oh, and here’s yet another one of your stupid rants conclusively debunked: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mlaa-360-pc-article

So, that’s major fails from you on understanding controller lag, MLAA, 3D techniques, hardware that can run 3D, and just about all the other bollocks that comes from the shrivelled lump of dogfood you call a brain.

Stop trying to argue about subjects that YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Every time you try, you come off looking more stupid than ever.

19. naffgeek

I’m not sure what kind of gamer I am…maybe semi-core, anyway I am looking forward to kinect, I admit that the line up software isn’t mind blowing but I am intrigued to see what the japanese horror stuff turns out like.

Also if you have read this months Edge, Child of Eden seems to be as ‘core’ as you can get and looks stunning, especially for kinect.

I also think the ‘core’ fraternity is thinking about this the wrong way, everyone seems to be thinking of kinect in terms of todays games where as I am far more interested in totally new types of game that will hopefully spring from this new kind of control…a la Super Mario 64. (please feel free to misunderstand that last bit and flame the shit out of me, looking at you Erthazus :))