EU versions of Black Ops banned in Germany

Thursday, 28th October 2010 11:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

callofdutyblackops15

According to a report from PCGames.de, the EU version of Call of Duty: Black Ops has been banned in Germany.

Instead, only localised versions of the game will be authorised by Steam.

Because Steam will require an activation for a localised version, the EU version of the game can’t be imported, including from those in the UK.

Call of Duty: Black Ops releases on November 9 worldwide.

Thanks, MCV.

1. justiceblob

And his is why I wouldn’t want to live in Germany, Australia etc.

2. Gekidami

“Germany” and “war”? Theres never been any relation between the two!

Those who censor history are doomed to repeat it?

3. vodka-bull

You must not eat a stake because a baby can’t chew it!
    But hey, I don’t care about Activision games anyway.

4. freedoms_stain

@3, stake? I can’t chew wood either bro.

5. Hunam

I bet you can still gift the UK version from steam directly to a german friend.

6. KAP

@2 Exactly. The irony right!

7. YoungZer0

@2: Are you serious? What exactly does Germany has to do with the Vietnam War? And don’t you dare to talk about History repeating itself. I had 2 years in school of Holocaust history. It’s not like we’re China, Japan, Russia or America who choose to “change” their history books a little bit.

8. polygem

as a berlin based gamer i´m buying british 90 % of my games anyway – preorderd this one in uk already, knowing this would happen…that´s the problem of europe in general. trying to be one – acting completely different. it´s not a problem to get an uncensored game from austria or uk – they are even cheaper- so why even bother. it´s so retarded. german game censorship is such a joke. a very bad one with a lot of blondes in it…

9. BlackestEyes

@2:

article behind your link is simply wrong. Merkel’s words are totally taken out of context. She meant it in that way, that immigrants who want to live in Germany have to respect the christian culture here and not be assimilated by it.

@topic: f**k. knew it before, though…

10. Hellequin

@7 Ouch…

And yeah, dunno why people that dont live in Germany complain about it, u dont have nothing to do with. You think your country is the best? Right, so why are you reading this anyway?

11. peteb

Waitaminute, so if you buy the disc version of the PC game from UK it won’t authorise on your Steam account if you live in Germany? That sucks if so. I live in Germany but I’m from Ireland and import pretty much everything because A) I want it in the original language and without any cuts and B) because its ridiculous how much cheaper games are in UK.

This is why I fear for a download only future. I guess there are always ways around such region locking but still, I dread the day Xbox and PlayStation go down such roads with not activating stuff because of region and time (once bought a Steamworks game on DVD early and it wouldn’t unlock because “the game hasn’t been released yet” DESPITE THE GAME BEING IN MY HANDS).

And the reason its banned is of course due to the Nazi Zombies mode.

12. polygem

this is europe. we´re all germans…….haahahahahahhrrrrrrrrr

13. Yoshi

“This is down to censorship laws in the country, with games having to go under checks in regards to the uses of depictions of war.”

Still butthurt we won World War 2 I see :P haha

14. DarkElfa

@13, I must point out the irony that while you are most likely not Japanese, your username is and the Japanese lost WW2.

Just found it funny is all.

That said, banning anything is wrong.

15. YoungZer0

@13: You’re not making any sense. But ugh, i won’t bother talking with a mungo who thinks that they singlehandedly won WWII. Unless you’re russian of course.

16. Yoshi

@14 Haha well I’m not Japanese, I’m British ;D and Yoshi has pretty much always been my nickname since school.

@15 mungo? lol I’m British and I never said we singlehandedly won WWII but we did won nonetheless.

17. albo88

omg who knows how should that crazy German kid on youtube fells now with this news lmao

18. YoungZer0

@16: Okay. So can you help me explain what this topic has to do with it? You really think the Germans are butthurt about the fact that were defeated? Because we’re not. But your comment is still pretty ignorant.

19. BCShrek

Guys relax plz. I am russian, I never forget that war (WWII) about, but we all should think about the future, we have to forgive our (your) ex enemies, and together have to build future w/o wars like WW2.(sorry for my engl)

20. XDamage