Torchlight gets a birthday, goes on sale for $10

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 17:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

torchlight3

There really is no excuse any more.

Runic’s put Torchlight on sale at 50 percent off to celebrate the game’s birthday.

The action RPG was a steal at $20 – at $10 you’d have to have brain-fade to pass it up.

Deets:

We are celebrating Torchlight’s one year PC anniversary with a 50% sale, for 48 hours on our site. Beginning October 27th at 8am PST, you can get Torchlight for PC at Torchlightgame.com for $10. Sale ends October 29th at 8am PST. This ensures everyone in their respective time-zones gets a chance to take advantage of the party! Tell your friends! And as always, thank you for playing.

Seriously, sort it out. It runs on any laptop and will keep you click-happy for plenty time. Just make sure you select the hard setting for your first run-through; the normal setting’s really easy.

1. Patrick Garratt

$10 for this is a joke. Do it.

2. Zidane

^^^ This man couldn’t be more right. I’ve spent so many hours in Torchlight it makes Diablo II seem like something else. Can’t wait to get my hands on the sequel. ^_^

3. walk_star

Agreed x2.

4. freedoms_stain

Great game.

If you get it make sure you start on Hard, Medium is far too easy.

5. Patrick Garratt

@4 – This is sound advice.

6. Yoshi

If this just had some sort of co-op singleplayer then i would buy it full price.

7. Hunam

Torchlight 2 will. It’s still a great game anyway, good for killing 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

8. Callum

Maybe I’m just rubbish at this type of game ( it is the first one of this genre ever played in all honesty ) but I had to set the game to easy in order to enjoy it :P

I kept DYING! I was like AHHH! Why do I keep dying!
    Blatently doing something wrong, but it was clearly not my fault!

A steal for $10 tho, hours of entertainment ( minus the dying on medium)

9. freedoms_stain

@8, unless they’ve tweaked the difficulty settings medium should’ve been a fuckin walkover.

You’ve got to figure out your class strengths and weaknesses and play to them.

I play the Vanquisher so I don’t let anyone get near, I use a lot of frost pilum and explosive shot, my pet also has an ice spell equipped, slows enemies down, gives me time to get to range and blast em.

Everytime you find gear and weapons compare it to what you’ve got, always keep the best stuff equipped.

Enchant your gear whenever you can afford it, hoard ember and have the transmuter upgrade it. Recover all ember from gear unless the gear is really really freakin awesome.

Weapons with health and/or mana recovery abilities are awesome. At one point I had a rifle that recovered more health per shot than the enemies could actually take off me. Miss that gun :(

Make sure you assign more points to your class main attribute. Vanquisher = dexterity, Barbarian = strength, Mage guy = magic. Defence should be next priority, then you can choose to add to other attributes to increase the range of equippable gear.

10. Callum

Hmm, I am no stranger to stuff like this, I played WoW for 4 years! I’ve played all three quite a lot..the melle guy was thw worse, I spent most of my time waiting for my HP to fill up rather than killing stuff!

In fairness, not a lot of the equipment stuff is explained very well. I think it was a bit of an over sight because they imagined anyone playing the game would be a seasoned gamer and instantly know what dexterity does. Also, the item stats are a bit random, I find it pretty hard to compare two items and decide on the better choice? Is +HP per hit better than say more stam? I dunno.

Still, a very good game and worth every penny.

11. freedoms_stain

I agree, the in-game explanations are pretty sparse, there is an online manual that I had a wee peruse of for stuff I wasn’t getting. Transmuter I just didn’t get till I read about it.

When comparing gear I usually go by Armour/damage vs enhancements. If something has high armour/damage but no/shitty enhancements I just sell it, if it has better armour but slightly less impressive enhancements I might keep hold of it and have the enchanter improve it. Enchanting is risky, but you can come out with some bitchin gear if you get lucky.