THQ: The last thing the industry needs now are new consoles

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 23:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Brian Farrell

THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell has said the industry doesn’t need a new console generation at the moment, because Move and Kinect will help extend each respective console’s life cycle while expanding the gaming audience.

Speaking with IGN, Farrell  said the “last thing” the industry needs now is “new hardware” because not only are current games “stunning enough”, but the model of “another $1000 box that the hardware guys have to subsidize” and software developers have to “spend even more money” developing for just doesn’t work.

“To have an extended cycle with a broader audience I think, strategically, is exactly the right way to go, and Move and Kinect are both designed to do that,” he said. “The market will decide if one or both of those will work, but I love the concept of both hardware guys trying to broaden the audience beyond just the core.”

Farrell is also of the belief that it wouldn’t be “good value” for the gamer to have to invest in another console at this point and time, adding further that it would be hard to improve upon graphics and sound as it stands today.

“Better graphics? They’re pretty darn good now. Better sound? No. Gameplay? Probably not. So I think the ways games are evolving now is really a direction we’re going. Where it’s going to be is in the play experience; richer stories, better characters, production values that are much more like movies.

“I think that’s the direction, rather than technology and graphics. I think those days are over.”

THQ is expected to releases its Q2 2011 earnings report on November 3.

Thanks, TheDutchSlayer.

[pic]

1. Erthazus

I agree and disagree.

I really want games look like Crysis 1 on PC or RAGE on PC and e.t.c on consoles. But with current gen consoles it’s impossible. They are not current gen, they are so last gen already and running in SUB-HD. 720P is not 1080P. They are all stuck in the Direct X9 Era, while we had already direct X10 and now we started a Direct X 11.

Of course with clever level design like in Uncharted 2 or God Of War 3, The Last Guardian, Gears Of War 3, RAGE, Crysis 2 you can make it look somehow like this gen. But you need to spent millions on these games to do so.

Story, Sound, Gameplay – in this industry is fine.

2. Elven_Star

No kidding. There is still so much to do with current consoles and in what way is a new hardware gonna contribute to better games anyway? Could be just me, though. I really don’t care about graphics. A new console with 586430874 GBs of RAM and 57984327589-core CPU ain’t gonna fix game design, story, narrative and such problems.

3. freedoms_stain

If we could get true 1080p visuals and zero loading times I’d be happy for hardware to stop there for a good long while.

4. _LarZen_

The hardware is just fine, think we are gonna see a software revolution in a near future and not the hardware push that the pc gamers are forced to over and over again.

5. Virginityrocks

I laugh because consoles fail.

@4 Software revolution? You’re an idiot.

6. OrbitMonkey

@5 No you laugh, because if you didn’t you’d cry.
    A software revolution sounds good to me. Let the devs squeeze everything out of this gen.

7. Virginityrocks

@6 … you are so clueless.

8. _LarZen_

@5 If you were realy interested in games and technology you would be eating those words. So I recon you for nothing but a big green troll.

You are probably a fool like so many that thinks that gfx can only get better with better hardware. I pitty the fool..

The software revolution has actualy allready started, and iPhone can run stuff now that people would only dream of a while back.

Rage and Epic Citadel is 2 realy great examples of software getting smarter and better and it wil probably blow our minds in a near future.

Here are clips of Rage and Epic Citadel on a iPhone..thinking of what they can push out of a PS3 in the end is beyond me.

9. LordCancer

thq’s is going out of business before the next consoles anyhow. more ram please.

10. MushroomStamp

Fuck it, i’m throwing my hat into the New Console arena. My PC crushes consoles graphically. However, I prefer to game on a console. It really sucks when you get used to the eyecandy only to go to a console and go ewwww…

Yes there are still great gameplay games coming (infamous 2)…. but I for one, would LOVE a new console. Don’t even care the price :) I want something to make me fall in love again.. to go WOW.. and HOLY SHIT… or YOU GOTTA see this…

While I love my consoles, they don’t really get me excited… For the sake of argument.. imagine Uncharted 2 or even Halo Reach, with graphics that make you go DAAAAAMNN!!!

getting blown away by visuals somehow makes me feel less guilty about the money I just spent.

This is all my opinion.. but I for one, would LOVE a cutting edge console…not one 5+ years old.

11. OrbitMonkey

@7 Dry your eyes mate.
    @ 8 I absolutely agree with you there. I don’t want to get too hyped about Rage, just in case, but it looks stunning.

12. freedoms_stain

@10, unfortunately for you I can’t see a new console coming within the next 3/4 years possibly even 5. It’ll be Nintendo or Microsoft who make the 1st move assuming no new players try to enter the market.

I’ve been doing more pc gaming than console the last couple of weeks, aside from the superior graphics I’d forgotten what it was like to boot up a game and actually be playing before the console would even have reached the title screen.

Actually with discless games its more like playing before I’d even got the console game out the box :D

13. Kuwabara

once last guardian, uncharted 3, gran tursimo 6, gta5, agent has come out, then they can talk about a new console. i say not for another 4 years, or untill every game coming out is on par with uncharted 2. Whats the point of a new console when most games dnt make full use of it.

14. LordCancer

i do not think i can live another 4 years with the current shit.

15. Virginityrocks

@8 You are an absolute fool if you really think that the consoles are actually capable of revolutionizing the industry with a big of magic code. The work with the Unreal Mobile engine is impressive, but what is truly impressive is the Ipad’s CPU architecture which is what allows the engine to run on such limited hardware. The hardware is more impressive in the Ipad than that engine.

16. manamana

If one reads Farrells words correctly, they absolutely make sense. Maybe some PC and graphics nerds are tired of the (sub)HD consoles, so play your PCgamingRig, then. But it is all about consumermasses on consoles – and therefore he is absolutely right. It’s not that I wouldn’t mind better graphics. Shure, every gamer want better graphics. But that is not the whole story. And Farell knows that and so do other developer. There are lots of people out there, who don’t mind graphics – or should I remind the best sold console worldwide? Its not even subHD!

” Where it’s going to be is in the play experience; richer stories, better characters, production values that are much more like movies.”

Damned right, imo.

17. NiceFellow

He’s quite right.

Sure, a minority will always pay for higher end kit, I’d probably be one of them, but this gen more people have bought Wii’s so far vs PS3/360 and from a home consumer perspective they clearly have years of life left in them.

Coupled to that a lot of developers are finding it expensive developing 720p high end games. Another leap now, which, unless it was coupled with a big leap in SDK effectiveness, would simply push the cost of games like Uncharted and Gears even higher, which only a few developers could really cover.

It’s not even like the majority of homes have HD TVs.

No, while in principle I’d love new consoles with higher specs the industry in the larger perspective just doesn’t seem ready for another big leap.

The only way I see new consoles anytime soon is if they only take a small spec leap and focus on architectures/SDK environments which reduce the cost of development.

18. polygem

i don´t need kinect or move. i´d prefer a new console gen. all this motion gaming is the trojan horse of gaming…it all goes down the wishi washi mainstream drain from now on – you can see that already….

19. polygem

@10: haha. same here. i´d say i´m not a graphic whore and i am actually fine with the way games look these days – though they really start to look and feel dated more and more…but i love new tech stuff. i´d love to plug in a new console and go wtf look at this. UNREAL!! (not the engine hoepfully)…the market needs idiots like me. my fear is that we are stuck with not much improvement – just because of the casual crowd is buying consoles NOW that we own for 5 years already to play yoga games…so we will have to wait untill they finished their assana…sigh.

20. Blerk

I’m perfectly happy with consoles the way they are for now, thanks.

/tips hat

21. drewbles82

The thing for me, as this gen of consoles has been out longer than most, people have invested in a lot with buying more games, xbla, rock band tracks etc. If they didnt make the next gen consoles work with the stuff we already have, then thats enough to put me off big time.

22. maximiliano

@21 Couldn’t agree more man.
    They would need to cover this really well. What about psn buys, psp games and ps+ subscriptions. If everything wasn’t backward compatible it would be a mess.
    Aside that, I’m really happy with the graphics with my ps3.
    Sure, I have a more powerful pc. But what gives? The graphics are not THAT better for we to be crying for a new console gen. I’m fine with the graphics that infamous, uncharted 2, god of war 3, heavy rain and gt5 can pull off.
    Other than that, he and the other comments are even more right when they say that first we need better design, story, narrative, characters, etc. A new gen won’t solve any of these problems.

23. LordCancer

well if you ever purchased music from sony or microsoft you know every two years there is a cleansing of the flock.