PS Phone: Zeus is “right name,” it’s “based on PSP1″

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 19:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psphone

Shit just got even realer.

Engadget’s “Zeus” codename for the PlayStation phone is correct, a watertight source has confirmed to VG247 tonight.

What hasn’t been yet reported, however, is that phone is based on PSP tech, something our man considers to be a mistake given the imminence of PSP2.

Engadget hit back tonight against claims that its scoop on images of the device were fake.

According to the site, the PlayStation phone shown in its photos is “most definitely real”

“This is a device which has been confirmed through multiple, trusted sources,’ said Engadget.

“And we’re not just talking good tipsters — some of our information comes from people much more closely connected to the project. Even since last night we’ve received more info about the phone — learning that its codename is ‘Zeus’, and it was last seen running Android 2.X (not 3.0, which we suspect will be the shipping version).”

VG247 has also been told today that the phone is Android-based.

The phone’s specs are supposedly thus: a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and a screen that looks to be between 3.7 to 4.1 inches.

PSP, by comparison, has a 333MHz processor and 32MB of RAM.

SCEE claimed the images were fake this morning before retracting its statement.

1. cookiejar

Being based on the PSP tech is not a bad thing. The fact that its a phone, linked with a marketplace, a touch screen and runs on Android, means some smaller, iPhone type games can be played as well as games with a bit more poke.

This plus a new PSP would make a nice offering.

2. Psychotext

Surprised they didn’t do this rather than the original PSP Go. Can’t help thinking it would have gone over a lot better.

Problem is now that people already know that the digital catalogue has some significant holes and I’m not sure they’re going to forgive that just to get hold of the phone functionality.

3. Tallon 4

Interesting… when will it be released?

4. Moonwalker1982

PSP was a huge dissapointment, and i mean that especially about games. Except for a few great games there was just too little. Now with the upcoming and very promising 3DS, Sony really has to come with something special.

5. A4-F8

Interesting
    i think ill get it instead of the blackberry torch
    if they will release it this year

6. chronoss2

it will be the same fail as PSP Go, or Nokia N-Gage.. I like Sony but I dont believe in this one. They should focus ore on a 3D PSP2 screen instead.

7. DoubleM

It’s still ugly.

8. cookiejar

@6 I don’t think it will be a fail. PSPgo was, for sure. But this is what the Go should of been. PlayStation + Phone is good. Its a nice product in between the PS3 and PSP 2.

9. chronoss2

yes maybe but the problem is that a person like me who owns a PSP for many years will not have any interest in buying this one. First because it will cost more than a PSP and a phone separated, and the worst is that PSP games will not come out anymore.

10. onlineatron

I don’t want this to be the PSP2.

It doesn’t look exciting or sleek enough.

That may be shallow of me, but I’d like something sexier.

Also, I don’t want to be tied into a phone contract to get a new portable Sony gaming device.

11. freedoms_stain

@9, there’s really no reason why this should retail for much more than an Android handset with similar specs and a hardware qwerty.

On contract you end up paying buttons for the phone anyway.

edit:

@10, the real psp2 is supposed to be packing a 5inch+ screen which this doesn’t seem to be.

12. cookiejar

@9 Well, PSP games are on death row anyway seeing as PSP dev kits are no longer being sold – probably because of PSP2.

The point about the price though, I’m not so sure about. I reckon it’ll be priced like a similar Android based phone and even subsidized. Its clear with PSP2 still on the cards, there’s no way they will market two pricey portable devices at the same time.

This phone could be the cheaper alternative for gamers who want smaller, app type downloadable PlayStation games, without the power of a full blown PSP.

13. onlineatron

This being a phone also negates the children market that the PSP has been appealing to recently.

Not many parents are going to sign into contracts so their children can get a gaming console.

Perhaps this was being designed before the 3DS was shown and Sony decided to go full steam ahead with the PSP2?

As far as I’m concerned…. The PSP is irrelevant.

14. freedoms_stain

@13, are you serious? I’ve seen ultrasounds where the kid was on the freakin phone.

Parents roll over way too easy. A dude at my work told me his daughter sends a minimum of 4000 text messages a month.

It’s insane.

15. onlineatron

haha :D

I know things are different now from when I was growing up *crotchety fist shake* but I doubt the advertisement for this phone/psp will be as kid friendly as the current PSP advertising.

16. freedoms_stain

You might be right about that.

But there are kids not even in their teens with iphones glued to their skulls, if they fancy a PSdroid (I likr the sound of that, better than PSphone anyway) I don’t doubt mummy and daddy will mind stumping up.

17. cookiejar

This thing might not be that big a deal anyway. They already do Walkman phones and Cybershot phones. PlayStation is just another brand they may want to include on a device, although with a few bells and whistles.

Interesting, though.

18. freedoms_stain

It’ll all come down to the cost, if the games on it are any good, and if they’re priced reasonably enough.

The dedicated game controls give it an edge. I tried that assassins creed phone game, onscreen controls are feckin useless.

19. onlineatron

Look at the enlarged pictures.

The menu input says ‘A’ and ‘B’.

Xbox buttons on a PSP… Got to be FAKE.

20. cookiejar

More info surfaces – http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/sony-ericsson-z-system-the-playstation-phones-gaming-platform/

Its looking more like the real thing.

@19 It could be the touchpad buttons. And its still a prototype. Could say anything.

21. DrDamn

Where does the ‘based on PSP tech’ come in? It’s a different and faster processor, much more RAM, different OS.

22. freedoms_stain

This “Z-system” thing cookiejar linked up might be based on PSP software.

23. 2plus2equals5

Interesting, i have some considerations:
    a)this is a real (fake?)device, not a mock-up
    b)BASED on the psp isn’t equal to this IS a psp, i’m not sure we can paly psp games with it…
    c)…infact where is the analog? …
    d)… am i the only one that imagine TWO analogs in the middle?
    e)what about battery?

24. Br0nco

Honest question: What are the 1GB R(ead)O(nly)M(emory) good for?

25. undeadwolfy

@7 I concur, it is ugly as fuck…Come on Sony, you can do better than that.

26. cookiejar

The thing to remember is, its just a prototype. It may look totally different and have slightly different guts.

It looks like a fairly decent looking smartphone that pulls out with a PSPgo control board. I’ve seen worse – http://blogs.thenational.ae/beep_beep/IMG_0358.JPG

I’d imagine the finished product would surely come with the same amount of on board storage the Go did, plus the slot for more.

The white looks horrid, but I bet you it’ll be all black.

27. freedoms_stain

Yeah, they’re saying this is probably a hand-built knock-together to test the ps part of the software on.

28. cookiejar

Bingo.

29. alienhunter

i like the model cookie found….im sure 98% of you will disagree with me, but i think the lil things cool!! no, its nowhere near even a psp 1000, you cant slip a umd in between calls and it probably drops more calls in fone mode than my old tracfone but as a serious gamer, i want the damn thing just to match my soon to be extinct psp 3000 that i take everywhere. personally, i think the psp is the best handheld to be made, shitty games or not. (of course i remember when mortal kombat 1 on game gear was the total shit so what do i know?) ill probably even buy the psp2 despite the loss of umds (i wont get started on that one) sony will get it right eventually, trust me. our grandkids will be asking us “what was x-box??” cool fone!