Kinect: Gamespot posts 1-hour video of launch title play

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 09:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gskinect

Kinect units started landing at US press outlets yesterday, and Gamespot’s first off the mark with some unmissable footage of six launch games being played. Hit the link right now.

The site’s posted an hour-long video of journalists playing six launch titles and providing commentary.

The games in question are Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Joy Ride, Your Shape, Kinect Sports and Dance Central (thanks, Syrok).

Interestingly, Microsoft’s requested that only the games can be shown, so you can’t actually see the camera and TV set-up.

There’s a lot of direct-feed footage here, and it’s professionally shot. We’ve embedded the movie below, but Gamespot’s vid code can be a bit weird sometimes, so here’s the direct link.

Kinect launches on November 4 in the US and November 10 in Europe, priced $150 and £130 respectively.

1. Patrick Garratt

If you watch this, can you please tell me what the six games are? I’d appreciate it.

2. Syrok

Kinect adventures, kinectimals, joyride, Your Shape, Kinect Sports, Dance Central

3. Patrick Garratt

You rule. Many thanks.

4. Blerk

I think I might wait for the highlights show.

5. Petulant Radish

This looks like…it’s not for me.

6. absolutezero

I think this might fail horribly.

I mean worse than Move. I just can’t see anyone using this to play anything. Im more than happy with the Wii-mote, its tactile and easy to understand. Everything Kinect just seems to disconnected from everything, floaty fuzzy controls.

I bet I still end up buying one of the fucking things. Stupid Horror games making me interested.

7. Patrick Garratt

I literally wouldn’t be able to use Kinect in our house at the moment. We’re moving this weekend, and I should be able to then. For the record, I’m not moving house so I can play Kinect games.

8. absolutezero

Im not sure I have the space either, that and my bed pokes into what I assume to be the sensor zone. Theres no way im setting that thing up in my main living room to make a fool of myself.

9. chipvideo

If anyone can get all the acievements in that dance game your gonna get laid everytime you go to a danceclub guranteed. This game will be the cats meow for the shy stay at home dateless gamer. Just like the biggest loser will be for the stay at home single gamer. LOL. Seriously though I think single guys will eat this dance game up and the fat females will run to stores in droves to get the biggest loser game.

Its all sold out on Amazon in the U.S. now as well. Going for as high as $300 or more on ebay. The fucking thing hasn’t even had its marketing push and not for sale and its presold out already. DAMN.

10. DJ Deathstar

@6 If it is gonna fail horribly then its not gonna do so this year as it seems practically everywhere is sold out of the thing! I think the key is what Kinect games get released in the first half of next year because if they don’t support it well enough through that period then i can’t see anyone else picking it up come next year. Though you never know it might continue to sell like hot cakes just as the preorders have done!

11. themadjock

Wow, they sounded as if they were totally hamstrung from saying any of that was rubbish, which it clearly was. Joyride lol… kinect table tennis lol. How many people as going to get properly smacked in the face with a backhand.

12. Moonwalker1982

I have to admit, it looks impressive. It looks very responsive and special too. It’s quite cool how the tiger cub really responded to when he was being pet and what not. It’s not something that i’d enjoy for long though, but then again, i think kinectimals is more meant for a younger audience.

Not much of a dancer but Dance Central looks to be heaps of fun for the people who are into this. Personally i’m just gonna wait and see how this is gonna turn out. When we can expect some ‘hardcore’ games and things like that.

13. CenoBit

@12:
    Around the time Hell freezes over :)

14. Robo_1

I’m really keen to hear real world reports on the device. How will it react in most living spaces, where space isn’t always plentiful and lighting isn’t ideal.

I think it’s safe to say the tech works in a controlled environment, but past that I’ll be very curious.

15. absolutezero

I just want to know more about the Sega horror house type game, what it actually is for example.

16. Moonwalker1982

When i was younger i used to pop some moves and what not, no problem. But as i got older i didn’t see any fun in this. There are plenty of people (not just only gamers) who don’t go to clubs much and dance, because they don’t like to dance or are easily embarrased. Maybe i am one of those, cause i DO go to plenty of concerts, but you just won’t see me there dancing and going all wild. Who knows, maybe a dancing game can loosen me up a bit. But i’m not gonna buy kinect, certainly not on day one and ESPECIALLY not when i simply don’t have the money for it. ATM unfortunetely unemployed.

Yeah welll, they DID show two horror games during TGS and a Star Wars game was upcoming, wasn’t there? We’ll see whats gonna come, and really…do we actually want to play a shooter or RPG like this? Doubt it.

17. KAP

Errr… this just really doesnt work. scrap kinect.

18. itsucks

$ony retards tears are starting to flow as deep when this hits stores, stomping over that bomba POS(3) Muve.

19. Michael O’Connor

The Kinect works just fine.

And it’s joy to play.

Not every single video game has to be a deep, twenty hour, story driven, insanely complex to control adventure.

Diversity is not evil, mmkay?

20. Moonwalker1982

@ 17

If the reports are true that the thing is simply sold out, i think it really IS gonna work. With a game like Dance Central right there on launch, in a time where music/dance games a very popular, i think it’ll be a big success.

If i’d ever buy Kinect, the space wouldn’t be a problem. I already sit almost 4 meters away from my plasma, so that’s plenty for kinect really.

21. Mike

Me and my kid really liked it. So I’m buying it. For Christmas.

22. freedoms_stain

@20 (and the rest) it’s not hard to create a “sold out” buzz, drip feed the retailers the product so it’s almost guaranteed to “sell out”.

Rumours are Sony did the exact same thing with the PS2.

It’s basic human psychology. “Everyone else wants it, therefore it must be awesome and I must have it too!” when in fact “Everyone” is a relatively slight number due to the rigged shipping.

Not saying this is what MS HAVE done, but it’s very easy to do.

23. CenoBit

@16: And I’d REALLY like to see some games that are actually worth their price and I hope that developers can find a way to take advantage of Kinect’s techonology to offer some fun (but NOT kid-fun) games.

i just think that it might never happen.

And you’re right.
    What’s the point for Kinect in a shooter or an RPG?

I’m sorry, really. I would like to say that Kinect is “da bomb” but I STILL can’t understand how a “realistic experience”-oriented game can be realistic when you move your hand and a sword comes up?
    I mean, in real life, you’d be holding something, right?
    I could understand that with magic (spells in games etc) but what about shooters?? And racing games? How is it realistic for any of us to “act like” we are holding a wheel, when we’ll be actually holding…air???

24. reask

I suppose at the other end of the scale MS will be hoping to gain a whole new market.

So say Kinnect does suck well chances are the ones who bought it will start checking out other games regardless.
    I reckon MS are on to a good thing actually.

25. DJ Deathstar

Yeah to be fair even if majority of the games are a bit shit, their aiming for the Wii market here and no offence alot of people who play Wii like shit games(pretty much most of the non first party games) so if thats their target audience then they will prob pick up the shit games. I want to know more about pretty much all the Kinect titles announced at TGS those and Child of Eden

26. Kuwabara

who ever buys this is stupid!

27. Psychotext

I love how threatened so many people seem to feel by this. :D

28. StolenGlory

Change and new ideas often do that to people.

29. itsucks

that and being genuinely butthurt to the high heavens, lol.

30. Michael O’Connor

@27 Indeed.

31. abnormal alan

I hate the set they’ve used for this video “lets greenscreen but only use a white background with a line on it”. Could they not of set it in a living room to give people more of an idea on the space needed?

32. freedoms_stain

They crammed too much into the hour, you only got to see tiny bits of everything.

The clear input lag on the ball game seems to have been fixed, which is good.

Navigating menus at this stage seems cumbersome, you can’t just press something with intent and have it open, you’ve got to hang there until it registers you’ve been there long enough to know you want to press that button. It was most evident in Kinectimals when he had to open the toybox. Everything seemed to take longer than it should if you were using a trusty controller. The superiority of buttons rears its ugly head.

What we saw of the games looked fine, although the games themselves are nothing revolutionary that you can’t get elsewhere (except perhaps Dance Central – if you’re into that type of thing) or that couldn’t be done on the Wii or with Move.

I would have liked to have seen more of the games from the perspective that we could see the players and the screen at the same time, it’s hard to judge what sort of input lag there may be if you just see one or the other. Significantly they didn’t show much (any?) of that perspective for the Table Tennis game, and the way so many (seemingly) easy balls were missed could have been due to input lag.

Bottom line is none of this will sell Kinect to me at this stage.

I’d like a go on the racing game, the fitness one and the table tennis, will they have lasting appeal after a few goes?

33. OrbitMonkey

Ok i own a ps3 & I’m curious as to why my tears will be flowing over Kinnects success? If its really great I’ll save for a couple of months & get the bundle. Is this a foreign concept to troll fanboy? *looks into padded cell to see itsucks & choochoo jerking off over a 360* Ah I see it is… o_O

34. freedoms_stain

@33, didn’t you know? Life revolves around the commercial success of the electronics hardware you own.

I weep at night knowing I bought 2 minidisc players and the format was not adopted by the widespread audience.

35. Psychotech

ok this is how it will go.Kinect will sell like hot cakes primarily due to strong advertising behind it plus Dance Central looks very entertaining and fun.Between Kinect and Move ,Kinect will be in the foreground for months but in the long run Move will take it’s place presenting much more titles for the casual and the HARDCORE gamer,unless Microsoft plans on adding a motion controler along with the tech which i doubt.

36. reask

LMAO at freedoms mini disc comment.
    I own one as well. :(

@ Psychotech
    I agree to a certain extent with your point but I reckon if this works out for MS they will adapt accordingly.
    Remembers Wii controller been incorporated into steering wheel.

Not saying it will happen but we must remember both Kinnect and move are new and have options.
    Just my tuppence worth really as I have no interest in either but as this battle rages on between Sony and MS this gen I remain happy because I win as a consumer while they bust each others balls. :)

37. Kuwabara

once again, who ever buys this is stupid. are u seriously gonna stand infront of a massive widescreen tv waving ur arms around with appropriate dress wear and shoes , under normal lighting conditions hoping to get fun out of it, without any lag..Lol

38. LordCancer

they bought the wii didnt they?

39. ianbenoir

funny they created a fake room so you can’t see the right light needed to play the game.