Blizzard: Diablo III is “suited to consoles”

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 09:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

d3

You want a massive stonking hint that Blizzard’s been thinking really, really hard about releasing Diablo III for consoles? Here it is.

“I think it is suited to consoles,” senior designer Jason Bender told VG247 at Blizzcon last weekend, speaking to Nathan Grayson.

“We’re definitely working, obviously, on the PC version. This is something that’s been brought up a lot about Diablo.”

He added: “It’s sort of an ongoing question. And I’m sure we would all love to play it on console, but right now, we’re just focused on what we’ve got in front of us. Who knows what the future holds? It’s hard to say.”

The original Diablo was brought to PSone by EA in 1998, but Diablo II skipped consoles entirely.

Find our interview with Jason Bender and art director Christian Lichtner here.

No date yet. Still.

1. Erthazus

Starcraft II, total War are suited to consoles too.

With this i can even play FPS with the Touchpad on the LapTop.

Seriously, it’s not going to be the same experience. Even FPS on consoles is not the same experience. Developers using Auto AIM so you could somehow play shooters on consoles.

2. YoungZer0

Having played the original Diablo on PS1 and games like Fallout: BOS and Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance i have to say that consoles are probably even better suited for this type of games.

3. absolutezero

Diablo clones can work on consoles really well. No where near aswell as a level of control and nuance you can get out of a keyboard and mouse but they are all perfectly playable.

Like Scared 2, that game might be a pile of bugs and stupid but it works perfectly well on the 360 for what the genre is usually about. Diablo is no different really, it just has a larger fanbase of obsessed autist assburger retards like the Dota clones.

4. DJ Deathstar

I would really like it to come to consoles to be honest, i’ve watched loads of the vids and read up on it loads and looks awesome its just my laptop isn’t anywhere near good enough to play it!
    @3 Have you played Sacred 2 on consoles? Is it worth picking up for £10?

5. absolutezero

If you can get it for that cheap then it will supply hours and hours and hours of gameplay. It does have its charms and its completely different feel to the Diablo games, both in tone and theme. Exact same gameplay mind you.

It still has a bottomless depth in character customisation, both in lewts and huge maze like skill trees. Lots of classes to choose from and its all quite pretty aswell.

6. Blerk

Just because it’s a slightly different experience doesn’t mean it’s automatically a bad experience, Erthazus.

I see no reason whatsoever why Diablo couldn’t work exceptionally well on console.

7. abnormal alan

I love how all the PC fan boys cry like little babies when there’s even the slightest rumor that a Blizzard game may come out on a console. Grow up why should only a limited number of people get to play these awesome games. I personally keep my Desktop for work and my console for games and would love to see these games appearing on consoles

8. absolutezero

I love how you completely missed my reasoned balanced response in order to lay further bait.

Tip top.

9. abnormal alan

I’m not laying bait and I agree that yeah they will control better on a desktop I’m just saying that I would like to see the games on a console and that i’m bored of people bitchin that it could be a possibility

10. Erthazus

@6 I’m not saying that it is a BAD experience.

The reason is simple: I don’t want game to be dumbed down for the sake of consoles and PC gamers or console gamers deserve the best experience, but when i see most of shooters that are ported from console to PC, they are horrible in most cases. + stupid optimizations because of consoles. I don’t need that and because of that Games this gen stuck at the level of Nvidia 7900 generation.

There are a lot of consolized games for PC that are ported from consoles. So no one will make two versions of D3. If they would do it, than we could play it in 2020. No thanks.

@YoungZer0, wrong, except of Diablo 1 that played better on PS1.

But you never played BOS on the PC or Fallout 2 so… You are wrong.

If these gamer could play better like F1 or F2 or Baldurs Gate I-II you could see them on console. Or Diablo II, III.

11. Blerk

That’s never going to happen though, is it? Blizzard are first and foremost a PC company. If there is a console port it’d most likely be either ‘after the event’ or handled by a separate company. I see no cause for alarm.

12. polygem

i knew this would happen. it´s so obvious. console games sales are huge these days. it´s just the main market today. i don´t think it´s a bad thing either. diablo can definitely work really well on a console. as ex pc gamer since c64 days i really prefer console gaming these days. the 360 pad is excellent/no offence for ds3 -just prefer it A LOT – for shooters and for diabloesque games as well. really looking forward to it.

13. stretch215

I agree with polygem. This game will probably sell great on pc, but they could at leastDOUBLE their sales my bringing it to consoles.

14. StolenGlory

@13 Agreed. In the meantime however, console owners could certainly do much worse by not checking out the forthcoming conversion of Torchlight that is headed their way.

15. Nordsmark

#7

I love how all the console fan boys cry like little babies when there’s a chance the PC might get a big release which might not come out on a console. Grow up why should only consoles have a limited number of people get to play awesome exclusive games. I personally keep my Desktop for gaming and would love to see just one big release (which is not RTS or alike) appear on PC.

16. abnormal alan

I dont remember crying about it, all I said was what’s the problem if they decide to release it on console. I don’t give a shit about exclusives and if any console games come out on PC then good that just means more people get to play some great games

sort your life out mate

17. YoungZer0

@10: Oh shut the fuck up. Of course i didn’t play BOS on PC. It never came out for PC. You don’t even know what Fallout Game i’m talking about. It’s not Tactics. You probably don’t even know it, so you might shut your face for once.

And wrong again, assface, Fallout 2 is one of my favorite videogames.

18. mojo

4: “@3 Have you played Sacred 2 on consoles? Is it worth picking up for £10?”
    if ur a fan of that genre and u can deal with a good amount of bugs some of which are realy spine crawling (dont take ur char to a friends ps3 and play with him. u will get banned from dealing with other players -.-) , then absolutely yes!
    ive sunk 200+ hours in one character (out of 5 or 6 iirc) and one storyline (out of 2) alone. and im just level 112/200. ive played all difficulties and stopped after the final boss of the last difficulty. cant be arsed to redo boss runs just for leveling. ps3 version without addon (wich is unfortunatly not available on consoles -.-)

The controls are perfectly fine (with some little tweaks for range aiming itwould be near flawless imo). Diablo III would also work out superb on consoles.

19. Erthazus

“And wrong again, assface, Fallout 2 is one of my favorite videogames.”

A question for a fan: What did president of NCR at the end of Fallout 2? :D Simple question.

“You probably don’t even know it.”

Crappy game for the playstation 2 and xbox from Interplay.
    OWNED.

20. YoungZer0

@19: “What did president of NCR at the end of Fallout 2?”

Lol, please re-read your question and ask it again, in a way it makes sense.

And no, not OWNED, how come you didn’t know it before? How come you don’t know it was never released on PC? Have you ever played it?