PS2 turns 10 in US today, European anniversary next month

Tuesday, 26th October 2010 09:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps2a

Did you know America got PlayStation 2 a decade ago today? You do now.

The console celebrates its tenth birthday in the country today; it launched in America on Thursday, October 26, 2000.

1UP has footage of the US launch from the old PlayStation Underground subcription service.

The EU anniversary isn’t far off; the machine celebrates its tenth birthday next month.

PS2 turned ten earlier this year in Japan. It released back in March 2000.

1. Erthazus

10 years and it’s still selling :)

2. YoungZer0

Yeah, I’m still playing it myself. Replaying Persona 4 again.

3. pukem0n

lol, that video with people saying the graphics are awesome seems really funny 10 years later ;D

4. RETARDED VIKING

Love that system, greatest thing to come from Sony……Then they slaped me across the face with the PS3.Such a disappointment.

5. cookiejar

My favourite ever console. Had so many great memories with that beast. Seems like yesterday I unboxed mine.

6. Gadzooks!

I do miss PS2-era Sony, they were truly great back then. I do feel that the PS3, although a huge obstacle to game development, isnt itself the entire problem.

Making games to appease pixel whores is the main problem, IMO. Sony have simply forgotten about gameplay and push for thier devs to put out glossy but soulless narrow corridor-based games that look great in screenshots but have extremely limited scope.

Thier strategy has backfired horribly though, and they cannot afford to make the same mistakes again, so expect thier next machine to be a developer-friendly games machine, rather than an expensive media hub.

Hopefully, the games developed on the next machine will match it’s function and they will once again focus on gameplay over screenshot capability.

7. Mike Honcho

The best piece of hardware I had ever invested in …. greatest console of all time IMO.

I sure miss those Tekken Tag tournaments with my homies.

8. Unlimax

That’s awful .. every great game going to the damn PSP
    We wanna see more titles for ps2 !

9. osric90

Ten years and still no backwards. What a shame.

10. Kuwabara

stop living in the past osric90 and embrace the present. im sure u havn’t played every great ps3 exclusive