Gorgeous Sonic fan project releases demo, is pretty much the best thing ever

Friday, 22nd October 2010 08:43 GMT By Nathan Grayson

sonicfanremix

Hey, uh, Sega? Hoo-boy, this is awkward. So we’re kind of seeing someone else now.

Yeah.

Sonic Fan Remix, as it’s known, is going where no recent Sonic project has gone before: to a place that makes some friggin’ sense. In a nutshell, creators Pelikan13 and Mercury are aiming to give classic Sonic levels an HD makeover. And that’s it. No floaty physics, no funky slowing effect.

The newly released demo includes three levels from Sonic 2′s Emerald Hill Zone, each lovingly recreated with the Magical Future Tech that’s now at our disposal. In short, it’s gorgeous. In not-so-short: holy gee golly gosh wow oh gracious me my she’s my cherry pie wam bam thank you ma’am awful Sonic Heroes theme song slowly fading from our memory. Download it here.

Or, if you’re the type who only watches videogames – even when a free demo’s staring you right in the face – feast thine eyes upon yonder Youtube theatre viewing device.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Blerk

So, how long before Sega stomp on this from a ridiculously large height?

2. Freek

Yeah, that looks smoother, better and more fun then Sonic 4.
    Expect this to be nuked from orbit and all video evidence erased from the internet.

3. Whizzo

I doubt it will take long before the C&D turns up.

4. Freek

“Please remove this from the interwebs. You are making us look bad!

Kthnx bye,
    Sega”

5. ecu

Sega have traditionally been very supportive of fan projects. They’ve never shut one down before.

It’ll be interesting to see how they react to this one as it’s getting much more exposure than any of the others, and it’s coming just after Sega got back in the 2D game. Personally I think they’ll be fine with it.

If they had any sense they’d hire these two guys.

6. orakaa

Damn ! This looks SO good !

THIS is the Sonic 4 I would have loved to see/play/buy, not the one SEGA made. I have downloaded the demo and I really don’t like the way the sprites are done in 3D, Sonic himself in the first place.

7. LOLshock94

how do fans make these stuff

8. The_Red

If they release it at full 60 dollar retail price, I’ll buy it. As for Sega’s Sonic 4, I don’t think that’s even worth the name Sonic.
    THIS is Sonic 4: The Real One.

9. Dannybuoy

This is all excellent bar the breaking/skidding sound effects. They made my teeth ache

10. Old MacDonald

Whoah, this looks spectacular! Thanks for the heads-up!

11. DaMan

well, at least this Sonic doesn’t run like a retard on diazepam.

12. Michael O’Connor

Hilariously, this both looks and plays better than Sonic 4 does.

13. spiderLAW

Yeah. I wonder why they remixed a sonic 2 level without tails though. I think Sonic 1 remix would have been a better place to start.

14. Michael O’Connor

@spiderlaw They haven’t stated which games the levels are going to be from, so I imagine that they’re going to pick and mix the best from amongst all the games.

15. spiderLAW

O okay. As long as i get to play the damn thing in the near future, i wont care what levels they are. This looks so amazing and plays much better than Sonic4.
    Now, where is the whole package!?

16. itwa5me

You could play the sonic library for PS2 on a backwards compatible PS3 and get 1080p.