Remedy on long Alan Wake dev time: “We did not think it was going to take this long to get right,” said Myllyrinne

Thursday, 21st October 2010 20:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

alanwake4

Five years was all it took between development and release for Alan Wake, but even developer Remedy didn’t think it would take as long as it did to get here.

Remedy MD Matias Myllyrinne has admitted to VG247 the studio might have shown off the thriller a bit too early.

The game was announced at E3 in 2005 for “next-gen consoles and PC”, but the title was confirmed as a 360 and PC the following year. It finally released earlier this year in May for 360, but was announced in February at X10 the PC version was canned.

“Yeah, could be that we shared with the world too early,” Myllyrinne told us in an interview that will be published tomorrow if the game was shown too early.

“To be fair, we did not think it was going to take this long to get right, so when we announced we did not think folks would have to wait for so long.

“The first Max Payne was a similar story too, but I think as long as you can live up to the vision you set to build people will still be excited and welcome the game when it is done.”

But despite all that, Myllyrinne remains proud of the work done by the Finnish developer over the five-year period.

“I’m proud of the team and their desire to bring Alan Wake out,” he said.

“It has not always been easy and it has been a long road. Luckily we had more days of light than dark along the way.

“On 20 20 hindsight many of us would do some things differently. That’s just the intrinsic nature of innovation and building something new for the first time.”

He continued: “However, what matters is the end result though – creating what you set out to do and being able to share with the world. With the game that shipped I feel we captured the essence of the experience we wanted to share with the world.

“It lives up to the original vision.”

Our full interview with Matias Myllyrinne will go live tomorrow morning.

1. choochoo

I can’t wait to play Alan Wake 2 (Exclusive) to xbox360 and i hope the enemies in Alan Wake 2 are more scarier like creatures or zombies because the enemies in Alan wake were not sacry at all.

2. Gekidami

It wouldnt have been so bad if the game atleast ran perfectly. Instead it suffers from problems the 360 crowd scoff at when a multiplat has the same on PS3.

3. Moonwalker1982

What kind of problems did the game have? I haven’t finished it yet but i haven’t ran through any problems really yet.

4. Psychotext

It had tearing and was sub-hd for certain things. That aside.. why the fanboy vs fanboy comment Gekidami?

5. Prof.Dr.Moertel

@3 me neither! Great game, one of my favorites.

6. Johnny Cullen

Glad I spoke to Matias about the game. one of my favourites for this year.

7. spiderLAW

Great game other than the Screen tearing, framrate drops even though its subHD, and the occasional slow points. I agree with choochoo on the part that the enemies need to have more defined characteristics to make them stand out as terrifying. It would be better if it was multiplatform also (id get it on PC or PS3).

8. Gekidami

I just found it to be a suiting analogy.

9. freedoms_stain

The enemies weren’t scary because every time one turned up there’s ridiculous a slow-down scene to announce their arrival.

I liked Alan Wake but a shit load of the design choices (mainly the notion of putting unnecessary slow-down in wherever they could ram it in) and gameplay mechanics that irritated the fuck outta me from start to finish.

If the story hadn’t have been semi-decent I’d have fucked this game back within a day.

10. osric90

Been waiting YEARS for Alan Wake and I finish the game with all options possible in the way and I feel tricked. Please, if you’re going to release another Alan Wake, at least make it more original… For the people who watched all the movies Alan Wake was “inspired about” the game was totally plagiarism and MAN, crowds of enemies coming all the time, the same fuckin’ enemies once and again… The crows, shadows, the poltergeist like shitty (whih was the only cool) was freakin’ REPETITIVE. I can’t believe some people compare this thing to Silent Hill 2 (which evidently is “inside” Alan Wake too) when this one was totally DULL. Sorry for the ones who like it but it’s just my opinion.

11. itsucks

Oh the butts and the hurts, your tears, let me lick’em.

12. Stardog

The game made no impact at all and nobody discusses it on forums nowadays.

They should’ve have abandoned PC. They can suck it.

13. DJ Deathstar

Really is one of my favourite games of the gen, just loved the story, the characters, the atmosphere, pretty much all of it though @9 is right with the only problem i found in the game is that i wish it didn’t do the slow mo thing to show the new enemies on screen like 90% of the time, the times when it doesn’t do so can actually be genuinely scary as your so used to it showing you with the slow motion.

14. Psychotext

Seems a lot of people wanted a horror game rather than a thriller. I wonder if they’ll keep that in mind if they make a second one.

15. frostquake

Must Comment!

Huge Book Reader, and a Big Stephen King Fan, particularly of the Dark Tower Series. So when I heard this game was being treated like a book and was influenced by Stephen King partly, I went out and reserved the Limited Edition.

I liked the game, didn’t go GaGa for it. For a Game in Development for 5 years this game should have been quite a bit better. There are graphical hiccups, frame-rate issues, and a story, well if it were a true book, it would be all kinds of messed up, and I don’t have the energy for a book critique.

The Repetition of Enemy Types, and build up to Enemies that let you down was unforgivable.

Big Gorgeous Scenery that was DEVOID of Life!! This was a Town Based on a “DEER FESTIVAL”, but not a Single Deer to be found anywhere in the game…I mean ANYWHERE. I ran around the mountains in the daylight looking for a rabbit, or a Deer…not a Deer to be found..except for the Big Cardboard one the Town Built…and guess what…since it is seen all through the game, it would have made a great boss fight possessed by the darkness…but sadly no.

Then I bought both DLC. “The Signal” was a nice addition to the game play but could have been included on the Disc and “The Writer” was 30 minutes of “Cash in”. A horrible taste is now left in my mouth from that Last DLC. In Fact if they just wouldn’t have released “The Writer” I would have reserved Alan Wake 2, but not now after what I see they are capable of, taking advantage of true Alan Wake fans, by slapping the name on, just to cash in.

The Soundtrack was great and introduced me to “Poets of the Fall” which I bought on i-Tunes, and The Landscape Scenery was Vast and Gorgeous, but sadly you need more solidness in the rest of the game for it to hold together, which it does not.

16. freedoms_stain

@15, I think that perhaps the graphical issues were to do with a high-end PC game being squeezed onto a console – just an observation.

I think the lack of wildlife is forgiveable, with the Darkness taking over the night would you stick around? It would’ve been cool to see some Taken animals though, Deer, Bears, ok those are probably the only ones that would work… There’s also a chance that the lack of animals was to do with the plot, I don’t want to spoil anything so I’ll be vague: were there any animals in the manuscript?

17. Blerk

The tearing was a bit irritating in places, but I never noticed the sub-HD thing at all. It’s bloody gorgeous most of the time.

What I’d really like for a sequel is a bit more involvement in the world. I’d been kind of expecting to be able to do some exploring, solve a few puzzles, interact with some stuff. As it was, the original felt more like a straight-forward third-person shooter – you were basically being funnelled down a corridor and any ‘puzzling’ to be done was generally just pushing a button to open something.

18. Gadzooks!

I’m having an ‘agree with Blerk’ day here.

I never once noticed that AW was sub-HD. It just looks gorgeous, the night scenes and use of light especially. There were very few jaggies due to the antialiasing.

I’d also like more puzzles in the sequel, and a little less reliance on combat.

19. YoungZer0

The game was a huge disappointment for me. While repetetive gameplay and atmosphere were fantastic i was really, really disappointed by the story, characters and overall narrative.

Midway through the game i discovered that i didn’t knew much about what was going on, and i didn’t care, for the characters or the story. It was always running from point A. to point B. With Angry Shadow Freaks in between.

The graphics were good but the biggest problem were the models, while they can blink, they couldn’t move their pupils, which made let them look extra creepy, even the main characters. This is also a huge embarrassment since A.) They said they would have helped “Quantic Dream” with their motion capture. And B.) Even stupid action games like Vanquish feature moving pupils.

A game which supposed to feature great story and characters but didn’t deliver any of that. I expecting it to be a game which doesn’t need to hide behind big Horror Movies. But it should.