Capcom: Dante changes needed for “visibility”

Wednesday, 20th October 2010 22:06 GMT By Justin Kranzl

Emo Dante

When Capcom brought developer Ninja Theory on board to make the new Devil May Cry, change was to be expected. But when a new-look Dante was revealed at this year’s Tokyo Games Show, plenty of gamers voiced their disapproval.

Capcom executive Christian Svensson has told IGN UK not only was the company expecting a fan backlash, it was part of the plan.

“To be fair, I think some of the strategy here was to create that discussion and dialogue, and I think it drastically raises the visibility of the title versus if we had just done another Dante.”

Svensson did point out changing Dante wasn’t an exercise in annoying fans, but rather a directive that came from the very top.

“The original concepts that came back for Dante were actually extremely close to the Dante everyone knows and loves,” Svensson explained. “The feedback that came back from [Keiji] Inafune and [Hideaki] Itsuno was, ‘No guys, this needs to be completely different, we need you to go much further and be much more creative.’”

Inafune is head of production at Capcom while Itsuno is the long running director of the Devil May Cry series.

1. osric90

This sounds like a total lie. We all know Itsuno learned from his mistakes in the past trying to make a “new Dante” and he brought to us DMC3 and DMC4 the best releases… Ok… Anyway, I’m tired of these people looking for excuses and theories about their new Dante. I’ll give the game a try if it’s worth it nonetheless the new Dante anyway… But at this point, Ninja Theory DOESN’T HAVE ANY QUALITY BACKUP. They work with great writers and celebrities but they do not deliver what’s to be expected (or more). Let’s hope they feel a little more pressure this time and this changes.

2. madnessHero

You know what Capcom? fuck you, getting the majority of the dmc fanbase all riled up and pissed off just to “raise the games visibility” is so….infuriating…at least to a fan of the series like me. I know capcom wants a lot of new blood, but it seems like they’re willing to throw away all the old blood for it. After reading this I really can’t blame ninja theory as much, but all the blame and anger i had for nt just switched over to capcom and I would boycott capcom ,butthen mvc3 would come out and I’d be forced to buy that

3. Dark

the worst part is, they know the fans dont like it and still do nothing.
    FUCK YOU,CRAPCOM

4. LOLshock94

does he really need to change i mean really?

5. G-Sama

They are fucking crazy…
    that’s it…i won’t buy it

6. OrbitMonkey

I’m not a Devil May Cry fan, so it’d be easy for me to say “Wtf guys? Chill, give it a go”, but then I remember when Marvel completely fucked with Amazing Spider man & gave him fucking claws & some bullshit new costume, superfical changes maybe, but completely killing it for me D:
    So yeah the fans should be pissed. The cynic in me bets that Capcom include a original Dante as a unworkable or even worse dlc.

7. AHA-Lambda

i cant say anything else i ahven’t said already so just quite simply fuck you NT and fuck you capcom

and i swear to fucking christ on a pogo stick if fucking andy serkis is in this!! >: (

8. Suikoden Fan

so they changed him and expected and wanted to piss off fans? if thats the way capcom is going i want no part in any of their franchises anymore.

9. Erthazus

Ah just forget about it. Let the new DMC die fast and thats it.

10. Oct..

There’s something not right happening in Capcom..
    Staffs signing out of there, franchises being ruined (Onimusha DoD, DMC4, Megaman, etc) or stopped or delivered..
    There’s almost no creative titles done by them.. not like in the PS1 and PS2 gen.

I don’t want to blame Capcom cuz there’s definitely something wrong.. nor Ninja Theory cuz all of their games in this gen were good (I know Enslaved at least.. whch I found great)

11. Kuwabara

I’m skeptical the gameplay will be great. Because the owner of ninja theory, or the antoniades guy, said story is more important than gameplay, and if u look at enslaved, gameplay was average with a bigger emphasis on story. Sadly it seems the same will be done with dmc5. This is what the fkers should do. seeing how dmc1 was the best in the series, they should look at that game as foundation for the next game and build open what was so great about dmc1. From the music, to the character design, level design, everything. Have a dedicated team and try better dmc1. Forget about the other games. If they can out do dmc1 they’ll have a massive hit.

12. YoungZer0

@3: Are you having trouble with reading? Did you read the article at all?! THEY WANTED IT THIS WAY! They lay a huge pile of shit on the fans, and that’s okay. Because fans are a bunch of crybabies who wants as little change as possible. You want to be this kind of fan? Go Play Halo! I applaud Capcoms decision. It takes some huge balls.

@8: It’s called free advertisement.

@11: It just seems that way. They said in an interview that they will take a lot of time with implementing the new Fighting System.

And people, please stop behaving like dipshits. Enslaved is not DmC. While Ninja Theory has only done 3 Games so far, that doesn’t mean they can only do those type of games. Look at epic for example. Gear of War and Unreal Tournament, Two franchises that are completely different in terms of gameplay. But it’s still the same developer.

Every time i hear someone bitch about it it tells more and more how little this person knows about the gaming industry.

13. madnessHero

@12 “as little change as possible” seriously? I’m all for innovation and what not but changing the most recongizable thing about the series? fuck that they might as well make a new series based off the mechanics of dmc. It’s just capcom wanting more money by westernizing another series and if capcom decided to develop it in house then I probably wouldn’t complain as much because I know capcom is capable of giving dmc the look and polish it deserves, unlike NT who let’s be honest might come up with a few cool ideas, but they won’t surpass what previous dmc’s (or bayonetta for that matter) had in terms of gameplay let alone graphics or storyline that stays true to the series.

14. YoungZer0

@13: Well most people say it’s the combat, then they say it’s the gray hair, and the list goes on and on. Nt might come up with a few cool ideas? Did you play Enslaved? While the Gameplay and Combat aren’t knew, the Story, Art-Direction and the game overall are something that has not been seen before.

And we all know that the story will be 100 times better than the shit we experienced in previous titles. Hell if people don’t like the change they can play the turd called Bayonetta.

People need to realize that this is not Sucker Punch; Crying like a little bitch won’t help. They are dead-sure about their decision, and i’m 100% behind that.

15. endgame

again, is that a male or a female?

16. Freek

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

17. StolenGlory

Retards always get noticed.

I can see why Capcom did this.

18. Suikoden Fan

@12 well this ‘free advertising’ makes me wary of them so i wont bother with them. considering they dont have a franchise i really care about its not really going to bother me

19. IO

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

put this url in google sirch

( http://www.aamall.us )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment

20. Gheritt White

@12: I couldn’t agree more.

21. DaMan

I think it’s a bit amusing when people who can’t tell the difference between Dmc and GoW and barely finished any Dmc games comment on Capcom’s choice for the developer.

also the Gears/Unreal example is terrible, Epic have been long known for their tight MP shooters. the hardest part in making Gears (gameplay wise) was to properly implement and balance the MP. besides, they’re a veteran dev, while NT are practically noobs in this business. NT are known for stuff like story telling and animations, not for their gameplay or tight controls. Enslaved and HS combats practically don’t exist. as if the Arma team tried to make a competitive MP game like Halo.

I can’t wait for say, MS to drop the SP in Halo, and the moment that happens dozens of hypocrites start whining how they have nothing to play now, because MP isn’t for them. I’m sure we’ll see a lot of ‘gone are the days of Marathon’ type rants.