“80% of gamers are actually willing to wear glasses” for 3D

Wednesday, 20th October 2010 12:33 GMT By Patrick Garratt

3dthing

A survey has found that most gamers couldn’t give a fig about wearing glasses to play 3D games, IndustryGamers reports.

The survey, conducted by U-Decide Initiative, has claimed that 80 percent of those questioned qould be happy to wear 3D glasses to play games.

The report also found that 36 percent of gamers are open to watching 3D sports, and 20 percent are willing to watch 3D broadcasting if glasses are required.

The discrepancy between glasses and no glasses was far bigger for sporting events and broadcast TV in general than it was for games or Blu-ray movies.

Of those surveyed, 65 percent said that they already own an HDTV, and over 35 percent of them are looking to buy a 3D HDTV within the next two years.

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer said it was too early for a big 3D push overnight in an interview with CNN.

1. Freek

Also worth noting that the survey was commissiod by a number of 3D technology companies and held at a 3D trade show. So the results may not entirely reflect reality.

2. JPickford

Riiiight.

3. orakaa

Wut ? Define “gamer”…

I totally agree with #1′s comment, this is ridiculous…

4. freedoms_stain

@1, that sheds a bit of perspective on things.

As a glasses wearer I find 3D glasses incredibly uncomfortable over my regular pair, I won’t be subjecting myself to that in the comfort of my own home.

I’m less inclined to see 3D movies these days too, as if you don’t get the right angle you don’t get the best effect.

5. Elrood

Fuck 3D! (I’m sorry for my language here but this whole 3D thing just pisses me off)

Being a bit more constructive. I wear glasses myself and it does not really bother me to wear 3D glasses, I just don’t see a reason to do so. 3D nowadays just feels completely unrealistic for me. I don’t need it and I don’t get the hype about it.