No one better at PS3 dev than “world-class” Insomniac, says Price

Tuesday, 19th October 2010 15:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Naughty Dog and Santa Monica? Get back on you hosses. Insomniac is the sheriff of PS3 development town.

Insomniac boss Ted Price has told the latest issue of EGM there is no other developer who can tame PS3 hardware like the “world-class” team at the California-based studio.

“First and foremost, I think we have a world-class engine team,” he said. “In particular, they focus heavily on using the PS3′s SPUs more effectively (in my opinion) than anyone else in the business.”

He added: “However, we spent a lot of time going back and reworking systems we had just barely finished in time for the PS3 launch.

“Whenever you have a chance to revisit tech, it’s a great opportunity to improve things. Basically everything got a facelift and it allowed us to do more with our visuals, audio and gameplay.”

He may have a point. Insomniac’s released five PS3 titles in four years, one of which was downloadable, including Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Resistance 2 and Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time.

This year will be the first time we’ll not see a single game from the studio since the PS3 launch, but it already has two planned for next year: Ratchet & Clank: All4One from its North Carolina studio and Resistance 3 from the firm’s California outfit, both of which were announced at gamescom.

It also has its TBA EA Partners project for PS3 and Xbox 360, the developer’s first multi-plat project.

Via GT.

1. Psychotext

Couldn’t disagree more if I tried.

2. Blerk

Go on, try.

3. No_PUDding

Maybe you should try though.

I do find it funny when GT5 is coming out at (most of the time) 60fps, and (fake) 1080p.

4. The_Red

And yet their Resistance 2 didn’t look as great as Killzone 2 or even play as good as it… and that wasn’t even as great as Uncharted 2… Ted, I like you, your team and some of your games but please… shut up.

5. No_PUDding

Blerk… Please let me speak.

6. Psychotext

“Go on, try.”

/concentrates
    /face goes red
    /starts to type
    /explodes

7. Blerk

Sorry!

8. No_PUDding

He tried, he lost. We’re all happy.

What was this story about again?

9. Psychotext

“What was this story about again?”

INSOMNIAC AM GOD

Or was that dog? I forget. Anyway, point being that who cares if you master the SPUs when all of your games except one don’t look particularly good, and one of your games is actually a downgrade on the visuals of the first instalment of it.

Naughty Dog’s environments bitchslap them into next week. GG’s lighting systems eat their lunch and PD’s everything have their wives and sisters in a sin sandwich.

10. DrDamn

In respect of Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 I think the more major difference is more art direction. Resistance 2 didn’t have great art direction – I think the bad guys are also pretty horrendously designed for the most part. There are also a couple of points for the KZ2 and U2 engines such are the effects and overall image in KZ2 and streaming tech of U2. Insomniac do chuck out very smooth and fluid engines with decent controls though.

11. No_PUDding

That’s defintely why I hang around here. Wives and sister sandwiches. Among other impressive ideas for the future.

12. Psychotext

Can’t really beat a wife / sister sandwich. Well, maybe if you add sprinkles.

13. CaptPierce

They’re good, with no doubts, but they can’t get anywhere NEAR Naughty Dog. I would’ve agreed before Uncharted 2, but Resistance 3 better beat that game into the dirt to be considered better (it might though).

14. MushroomStamp

Suckerpunch :)

15. polygem

ratchet and clank and resistance are the ps3´s gameplay beasts. so i guess he has a point there. most addictive games on playstation. killzone and uncharted are great great games but gameplaywise r+c and resistance definitely beat them both imo. they are the most fun games on the platform to me and fun is what i want from a game..they run perfectly on the system.

16. Hybridpsycho

It’s all a matter of personal opinion I think, and these are his thoughts :)

17. Happy Hardon Harry

All of which are complete and utter shit.

18. Erthazus

@17 Excuse me, but Ratchet and Clank are very good platformers.

first of all play and than say that they are “SHIT”.

19. MushroomStamp

I don’t know if I would call them utter shit.. but I definetly don’t like any of them except R2.. and that was OK.

20. Kerplunk

I’m not sure about ‘no one better’ but they’ve a history of working with Naughty Dog (offering expertise? getting expertise? don’t know). Their Project Nocturne resource (shared knowledgebase for developers) shouldn’t be overlooked.

It’s very easy to say “I prefer the final product that Developer X produces so they are a better developer” is how a consumer my view a developer’s ability, but I suspect an industry perspective would take note of their ability to manage change, meet ongoing project and budgetary requirements and lots of nitty gritty stuff that goes on before the product is released.

For example, Rockstar make very popular end products, but people in the development community have numerous nightmare stories to tell about their quality as a developer.

Activision, are either a fantastic publisher or the worst publisher ever. It’s quite possible they’re both – depending on your appreciation of what a publisher is.

I guess Insomniac’s accolade’s worth depends on your appreciation of what a developer is. Still, I don’t recall them blowing their trumpet in the past so let them have their fun, they’ve certainly provided it.

21. Dralen

Sorry but even Naughty Dog’s first attempt on the PS3 (Uncharted: Drakes Fortune) was better than both Resistance 1&2, and that’s not even mentioning the masterpiece that was Uncharted 2.

22. spiderLAW

I would agree most with Hybridpsycho and disagree most with Polygem and HHH
    @ Polygem. No. Ratchet and clank is fun but there is nothing deep, intricate, or challenging about any of the ratchet and clank games. Its really a game for children and adults who want to get away from the challenges of more complex games…you know, like a vacation of sorts. And then Resistance is far from being the shooter beast of PS3. Killzone has much more complexity and depth in its gameplay. Uncharted 2 is one of THE best games on the PS3 in terms of gameplay and its level of complexity is unrivaled by Resistance or Ratchet and Clank. Resistance is a decent franchise, but it feels extremely dated. It feels like playing,ummmm…. Unreal Tournament 2003 but slower.
    @HHH
    No, just No dude.

23. DGOJG

Insomniac ‘world class’! Hahahahahahah..oh wait you’re not joking?
    Naughty Dog have demonstrated more talent in one Uncharted game than Insomniac have with all their games combined. Resistance and Ratchet & Clank? Give me a fucking break, each installment is as bad as the next. Don’t kid yourself into thinking the third Resistance is going to be any good.

24. Psychotext

On a different note, if they’re as good as they say they are then their multiplatform title should blow the doors off vs other multiplatform titles.

25. No_PUDding

In their defence, even looking at the R2 retrospective, they’ve been a bit overambitious, time/feature wise with all their previous projects.

R3 will hopefully allow them to focus and polish. A4O Looks like total ass chunks.

26. polygem

well i really enjoyed uncharted 1 and 2 as well as killzone 2 (and even 1 on ps2 and liberation on psp)-but uncharted isn´t a challenging game either. the graphics were awesome and it played really well – BUT the charakter design is so very boring. nathan drake is an enrique eglesias wannabe. seriously i never ever was able to like that guy. i think he´s an absolutely retarded sunnyboy popper with a bad taste in women. it´s indiana jones jokes all the way through but harrison ford is just the cooler motherfucker. just not my cup of tea really. i´m talking gameplay. the weapons in the insomniac games are gorgeous. to me these are the games that are most fun and the ip´s a sonyfanboy should be proud of the most (not calling anyone fanboy – i mean generally). it definitely is a matter of opinion. i also believe resistance is the better shooter compared to killzone 2. it even looks better to me. sure not that detailed but the colors, the artwork etc. appeals much more to me…you can fight about taste forever i guess.

27. Gadzooks!

I thought Crack in Time had some very nice puzzles in it, with the temporal recording business. Not the hardest puzzles in the world, but inventive.

I really wasnt keen on either Resistance, 2 especially. I like thier platformers though, and would prefer them to work on something with a bit of originality and character then another bland shooter.

28. spiderLAW

@26 I guess its just a matter of opinion then. I dont see the resemblance between Nathan and Enrique what-so-ever and i found Nathan to be witty, charming, and human which is something i can respect when the industry is over flowing with hardcore trained super soldiers, space marines, and genetically altered superhumans. Also, Uncharted not chalenging? Played it on the hardest difficulty setting without any cheats or glitches? Damn hard.
    @27 I agree. It was indeed inventive, but still unchallenging. I like Ratchet and Clank, when i need a break from the heavier hitters.
    I also agree with your opinion on Resistance. I think they were good (FOM better than 2) but nothing unique. They are just mediocre to me. Resistance 3 looks better so far, but looks arent everything. I thought Resistance 2 graphics looked great, until the game actually came out. Plus, the gameplay isn’t all that refreshing to me.

Honestly, if the Resistance franchise is what Sony has to go up against Microsoft’s Gears or Halo franchises, Sony loses. Thats not fact that im stating, its opinion. But compared to Gears, it is seriously lacking in graphics, physics, story, and gameplay mechanics. Going up against Halo, it is lacking in replay value and story but is par with the graphics.

29. undeadwolfy

“Naughty Dog and Santa Monica? Get back on you HOSSES.”

Might need a little tweak there? :D

30. polygem

@28: i think dr. nefarious is way more witty and charming…
    definitely not human though…;-)

31. itsucks

Oh come THE FUCK on, when you release some of your games in sub-hd when other devs release “arguably” as if not more impressive titles in HD, you know you are full of shit.

32. Crysis

F*ck all people can even notice the difference between Sub HD (740p) & real HD(1080p), so it’s kind of irrelevant, also the fact that Insomniac works on more titles with less time than Naughty Dog, Polyphony digital, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica & Sucker Punch, so in that respect, they probably do have a better understanding of the PS3 than any of these guys, even though all these devs make some of the best games in the industry, it would not surprise me if Insomniac had the best understanding, idk where all this hate against Resistance is coming from, the SP looks amazing! the Multiplayer is fun & i can’t wait for the third one.
    @31, STFU troll boy, you know nothing, stop acting like you do, go back & play your 360 & have fun, not bitch about what other gamers enjoy, isn’t that what real gaming is all about after all?

33. spiderLAW

NES for life Muthafuggas

34. onlineatron

All 4 One looks beautiful.

So did Crack in Time at 60fps.

Resistance 2 had it’s moments.

They’re good.. just not Naughty Dog and PD good.

35. Crysis

4 full games in 4 years & 2 coming out next year, they don’t get all that extra time to polish their games (*cough PD *cough). So putting all that into consideration, they probably are the best PS3 developer.

36. Erthazus

@35 2 next year? Are you sure about that?

I think one of them will be delayed.

37. Crysis

@36, i honestly would not be surprised.
    But i would consider Insomniac, the ‘Bungie” of Playstation, i mean they’re both becoming multi-plat devs at similur times too :P Just Bungie’s worked on less titles & have worked on 5 titles since the Xbox, Insomniac has done double that since the PS2, given more time, i reckon even more people would have considered their games AAA titles.

38. xino

lol!
    this i gotta see!

I like it when people boast!

I really wanna be blow away by the graphics!

GoW 3 and Uncharted 2, 2 beast games.

let’s see what these guy’s got!

39. Kuwabara

When resistsnce 2 came out, at times to me it was the best looking game on a console. well up there with uncharted 1 on some levels. The game didn’t have too much motion blur and depth of field like in gears 1 and 2 to make it look good, . Even playing through it recently it still looks amazing at times.

40. Crysis

If you’re after a beautiful game, i would reccomend FarCry 2, one of the most stunning visual games i’ve played, too bad it just felt boring, would have loved some carniverous animals to hunt :D

41. manamana

Just wanted to bring this up, because EGM probably messed up the interview … Words were out of context says Price.