Platinum disputes four-hour Vanquish claim amid pre-launch price-cutting

Monday, 18th October 2010 10:10 GMT By Joe Anderson

vanquishf

Platinum writer JP Kellams has disputed a claim from Game Informer’s Vanquish review that, excluding cut-scenes, the actioner can be played through in less than four hours.

The magazine, which gives the game a rating of 7.75/10, gives high praise to the game, but noted the overall length of the campaign came in at under four hours.

Kellams was surprised when he heard news of the review, saying via twitter:

“GameInformer: ‘Don’t be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours.’ Really? Because it would surprise the hell out of us.”

He added: “I have no idea how GameInformer beat Vanquish on a first playthrough on normal in 4 hours.”

You can check out the rest of Kellam’s thoughts on the review here.

Sci-fi shooter Vanquish is released on October 19 in the US and October 22 in the UK for PS3 and Xbox 360.

MCV is reporting this morning that the game’s seen some heavy pre-release price-cutting in the UK.

ShopTo.net is offering both the 360 and PS3 versions of for £27.85, while Zavvi is offering the Lenticular Sleeve version on both formats for £28.99.

Play.com has the same version for £34.99, while HMV and GAME are charging £39.99 for the game.

Check out the latest “Battlesuit” trailer below.

1. JL

Would be v interesting to know the rationale behind retailer price cuts. Low pre-orders, low quality of game, low price set by SEGA?

The demo at least plays like a shmup – try the level again and again to get better scores and times – so not too worried about playthrough time rumors. We’ll know soon enough.

2. Blerk

Usually it’s either ‘super-popular title, we must get more sales than our competitor’ or ‘crap, nobody’s buying this and we’ve got loads of stock’.

3. Zana

In the case of Vanquish, I believe the demand is low.

4. Aimless

It’ll be £17.99 within a month.

That isn’t a comment on the quality of the game, it’s just Sega’s way.

5. Predator2k9

We’re currently reviewing this game (embargo tuesday) – we’re close to the end and played around 3 and 4 hours… GameInformer’s not lying.

6. Erthazus

3-4 hours? X_X

Sheesh, i wanted to preorder it…

7. varsas

As a comparison how long were the campaigns in the Gears of War and Modern Warfare games?

8. Predator2k9

But it’s very motivating indeed to get better times and score and play through it again on harder difficulties. So it’s not too embarassing ;-) the game itself is one hell of an action trip that doesn’t deserve to be left out.

9. Freek

Both games with a heavy focus on multiplayer wich Vanquish doesn’t have.

10. Hybridpsycho

Might wanna add that Zavvi has it for 33,95 Euro’s, also an exclusive Limited Edition box with a figurine included for 64,45 Euro.

Also, replay value means alot, a bit sad if it’s really that short though :(

11. 2plus2equals5

I knew that it’s short. Do you really pretend a long “high speed” shooter?

12. SplatteredHouse

“What’s with all the new games press followers I picked up today? I’m not all that interesting, guys. :) @pg_JP is for game related tweets.”

From the twitter feed you linked to – sure you got the right one, it’s just, because I don’t see any review rebutting in there, just a slightly bemused member of the blogosphere, gasping for air under their new-found unexpected, and perhaps even unwanted popularity. :(

13. Lord Gremlin

FYI Bayonetta can be completed in 3 hours. Fact. I’ve managed to complete it in 2 hours 40 minutes.

14. GitForceGemini

To be fair the main character does have rocket jets in his knees. If he moved at the lumbering pace of Marcus Fenix, I’m sure the game would be twice as long.

15. LOLshock94

gears of wars campaign was long and this doesnt supprize me

16. Moonwalker1982

I am getting sick and tired of this crap these days. MW2 was short as hell, recently MOH and now Vanquish too. It’s a fucking disgrace. What happened to 10 hours (or more) games? Jesus.

17. Freek

@13 Not on your first play through.

18. freedoms_stain

The shrinking length of single player modes/games is indeed a source of some dismay to me.

Even taking into account replay value on different difficulties, you’d have to play through 2 or 3 times to get a reasonable amount of play out of it. That doesn’t float well with a lot of people.

I’d prefer it if devs looked more towards multiple alternative story paths. One of the top reasons I don’t play a game more than once is sameyness. If I know the game is going to be identical other than difficulty I’m less inclined to bother. On top of that im less inclined to return to a game to play on harder difficulties after I’ve left it for a while, particularly a very skill based game like Bayonetta because time will have deteriorated my sharpness in that particular game and I know it’s going to take a while of getting my ass handed to me before I’m competent again, which again I can’t really be bothered with.

19. Lord Gremlin

@17 Of course not. It took me 3 play throughs to do such speedrun. First play through has been around 15 hours. I believe Vanquish will be largely same.

20. Moonwalker1982

On the forum here i read about a timer glitch, which would explain why GI claims it’s only 3 to 4 hours?

21. Psychotech

@20 yeah there have been some rumors about the timer glitch.The timer also doesn’t count cutscenes and when you lose and restart from a checkpoint.

Here’s the opening 17 minute video

22. osric90

I finished RE5 in 4 hours the first time, hahaha and I never thought it was short, believe me… There was just to many things to do in the game (man, it’s the game I played the most due to its replay value!) and I’m pretty sure this dude played it on EASY. There are trophies in games that are given to you for finishing the game in under 3 hours, so WTH? Let’s wait for it to be reviewed by more magazines.

23. MushroomStamp

This doesn’t surprise me at all. From the demo I thought the game wasn’t that good. It might be worth gameflyin… but easy to see why they dropped the price. It’s a shame more mediocre games don’t drop their prices. Overpriced crap is one of the reasons people I know pirate games, they get tired of being raped for their money. Before some of your get your panties in bunch, I haven’t pirated a game very long time. I’m just very selective now with what gets my cash.

24. OlderGamer

I think it comes down to amount invested vs time invested in the experience.

In other words why pay 60usd when you could pay 20usd for the same 4 hour game? Just wait, buy this game in the spring or whenever the price falls through the floor. Unless a game has tremndous replay value(Online MP, or something on a Civ level of sp replay), I leave it at the store and get it later anyways.

Or you could always rent the thing, get the four hour experience with very little investment.