NES turns 25 in US today

Monday, 18th October 2010 13:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nes

It’s not just Mario having a 25th birthday, innit.

On this day in 1985, the Nintendo Entertainment System went on sale in the US.

Excitebike, Duck Hunt, Iceclimber and Baseball were some of the first launch titles for the console in the country.

Its best-selling title was, shock horror, Super Mario Bros. with 40.23 million copies now sold.

The console didn’t launch in Europe until a year later and was discontinued in the west in 1995.

There’s more over at Kotaku.

1. reask

Jeez JC only 40 copies sold. ;)

2. Blerk

Heh!

Fact: I have never seen a European NES in real life. Back in 1985 it was all Speccy and C64 round these parts. Conslols? Nevah!

3. Johnny Cullen

I fucking hate Mondays.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Happy Birthday Nintendo Entertainment System. You are a legend and changed this individuals life forever.

I remember vividly the leap from my Atari 7800 to NES was mesmerizing.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

(4 hours later)…I have an uncanny trend of somehow killing response comments…lol.

I for sure thought this topic would be HUGE, but perhaps this is European site and I’m in USA which may be one reason…

6. spiderLAW

NES for Life!!!
    Still have my orignal L8 1985 NES system and it works till this very day without issue (besides blowing on the cart) *leers at Microsoft Xbox360 that has been replaced 4 times* NEs is what made me a gamer. I was still buying new NES games when i had SNES and Sega Genesis (Ninja Turtles 3)

7. elronathon

Still love me a bit o Balloon Fight occasionally. Adored my Nes, had mine since about 1990ish. Got a second (not because the first died, mind) for my 18th birthday from some of my excellent friends.

About 10years ago I found a local charity shop selling off Nes games for £3 a pop, got a copy of Punch Out! (the one with Tyson branding) amongst other things. Still have my Nes Advantage joystick too…though am yet to pilot The Statue Of Liberty with it…

My Nes collection currently stands at 23 (including 2 copies of Mario 3).

8. DaMan

my first console, got it at around 1990.

NES is a true legend.