You may now sit down while using Kinect if you wish

Saturday, 16th October 2010 19:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

kinect 3

Despite Microsoft insisting you can squat, sit, or hang from the chandelier in front of Kinect and it will detect it, one developer has said the camera did not detect sitting positions despite what Microsoft said previously.

Can’t you see an elephant or do I have to paint her red?

According to Blitz Games’ Andre Oliver, the issue with the whole sitting fiasco was brought about by Kinect’s base node not being able to differentiate between skeletal models at the bottom of the spine and the couch – especially with knees bent in front of their core.

Per Oliver, speaking with Eurogamer, Microsoft has now updated the software used by developers, making it so the base node no longer detects the bottom of the spine but the back of the neck.

“It means that should the bottom of your torso get confused with the sofa, because your bum and your legs are enveloped inside the sofa, it doesn’t matter because your hands and arms are still working,” said Oliver.

“You can do most actions. A few months ago they changed stuff around. A lot of developers were like, ‘Oh my God! Everything’s broken,’ because all the nodes were moved. But then it was like, ‘Oh, actually, this is more logical.’”

Well, shouldn’t we lie down? Put paper bags over our heads or something?

While these changes in the software for Kinect are well and good, the change comes too late for add-on and launch titles coming in November.  Going forward,  new titles “won’t have a problem”, said Oliver.

Before the update, Oliver said developers creating titles with sitting or lying down had to create software for it, and Blitz was just one of the studios that added the option internally, so consumers could make proper use of its Kinect fitness game The Biggest Loser – just one of several games in development at the studio.

“It was one of those ones where it was probably borderline whether Microsoft would have fixed it for you or not,” he said.  “We were talking to them last February saying, ‘Are you ever going to fix the libraries so it will work on the floor?’

“And they went, ‘Oh come on, that’s lying on the floor.That’s so rare. We’ve got other issues we’re dealing with.’ We said, ‘Okay, we’ll go write it ourselves.’”

Good thing the issue was addressed, otherwise, those buying fitness games would not have gotten yelled at when doing push-ups wrong.

Kinect would not have been able to detect any physical errors  in form.

1. cookiejar

I’ll sleep easy at night now knowing this ;)

2. NoxNoctisUmbra

Ok. So now my legs wont hurt, but holding them in the air like an idiot still will! At least wit MOVE you can rest hands just like with traditional gaming pad you would.

3. Garthy30

Who is pre ordering Kinect I’d love to know.

4. NoxNoctisUmbra

Not me, but apparently at GameStop its sold out.. Ignroant people not waiting for good games and full review only pre ordering the Kinect because they are either Very Xbox Fans or Casual people who have no fucking clue about gaming.

Something tells me Kinect may be rated 6-7 out of 10 on average. But game lineup will be very weak for this year, and maybe first half of the next year.

5. Garthy30

NoxNoctisUmbra

Well said I just feel that there is going to be SHIT loads of keep fit and dance games released for this.

6. Erthazus

Who is preordering Kinect? Hmmm…

Actually i’m smelling that there is something fishy about preorders.

I don’t think so that people are going absolutely apeshit about it. My good friend made a project in the university about Motion controls and no one, i say no one ever knew that Move or Kinect existed. Everybody knew only about a Wii.

7. Michael O’Connor

@6 “Who is preordering Kinect? Hmmm…”

*waves*

8. freedoms_stain

@7, anyone who doesn’t work in games journalism whose credibility doesn’t rely on keeping up with the industry, even when it follies?

9. James Mac

@8 & 6.

Right here.

10. Robster1979

I’m waving!

People on this site need to realise that proportionally, very few “gamers” visit a site like this or any other regularly. A few hundred or even thousand people posting (negatively) regularly in the comments section really don’t represent a fair cross section of society.

Move sold pretty well and Kinect will likely sell even better despite some peoples perception of launch software.

11. Psychotext

/also waves
    /is also getting somewhat sick of the elitism

Remember ladies and gentlemen, just because you don’t get why something is fun or interesting to someone else, it doesn’t mean that they can’t have a valid viewpoint. You’d criticise a non gamer for giving gamers shit, and this is really no different.

12. Crysis

Is there a point to getting Kinect right now? i mean all the original selling points have been canned, most the people who were interested in this only because of how advanced Milo semmed, but he’s gone & what happened with Fable III? apparentally they will add in Kinect support later, but i have my doubts, there’s just no reason an average Joe should buy this, there’s no decent games & it’s features are definately not worth it, i mean browsing the menu with your hands… it’s with a quick thumb motion & that saves you $200.
    Well, anyone purchasing this? if so, why?

13. Psychotext

Yeah, I want to play Dance Central, my niece will play Kinectimals and a bunch of us will probably have a mess around on Adventures / Sports. Oh, and that Ubisoft Fitness game. (Yes, I own Wii Fit :P )

It’ll mostly be a party / get-together thing, just like Rock Band and the Wii are.

(What were the original selling points btw? If you mean Milo… that was smoke and mirrors from day one.)

14. Crysis

Everyone i talked to were ONLY interested in kinect because of Milo, but twas cut cuz it seemed to perverted, i still lol about that.

15. Michael O’Connor

@8 Thanks for the insult, but I’ve never been a sycophant journalist. If I think something sucks, I’ll say it.

I play games because I enjoy them, not because it’s my job.

I’m interest in Kinect because I think it has some good ideas, not in order to keep abreast of the technology.

16. Erthazus

What elitism? You blow my mind people. This is not about elitisim.

to be honest, this stupid shit aka Sega CD addon or whatever no one need. If someone is a tool it’s alright. If someone is a tech geek and want to find out what is this crap than ok. There are a lot of videos, fake videos from MS, previews, opinions where people say it’s SHIT. It’s not about elitism or minority of people/gamers from VG247 or any other site. It’s because this thing does not work. I could buy it if it was worth the money, time and it worked well.
    To be even more realistic. Move is also not working. These things are toys. Stupid addons, i don’t want to describe it because i can do it for a day.

this device is a piece of shit. End of story. Thats it.

I don’t care if people paying for the IPad. It’s their problem. To be honest, i don’t care what people want to buy. But, maybe someone will be a little bit smarter than these douchebags? (I’m not calling YOU a douchebag)

and don’t reply oh please. It’s an opinion. Buy this shit and jump like idiots. Really.

17. Psychotext

Of course it is, it’s about assuming that your opinion is the only opinion and that no-one else could possibly enjoy something you do not. It’s exactly the same shit we saw when the Wii was released, and frankly it’s not that hard to see why gamers get such a bad rep.

In your case, it also seems about ignoring everyone that’s used the thing and said they had fun / it worked. Sure, there are a bunch who went completely the other way and said it was shit / didn’t work, but guess what, everyone is different, and ignoring the impressions of one set of people because it doesn’t fit your pre-determined viewpoint just means that you never gave any of it a chance to start with.

18. freedoms_stain

Crysis pretty much voiced my opinion. There seems to be very little incentive to be an early adopter.

The array of launch games is disappointing at best and there isn’t even much on the horizon.

Furthermore no one has managed to demonstrate any Kinect gameplay that looks any superior to Wii waggling, waving and swinging.

Features have been axed. No 4 player simultaneous springs to the forefront of my mind.

Too much risk of being a £130 dust magnet, and man piano black shows dust.

19. Psychotext

One thing I will say… for those that consider themselves hardcore gamers only, yeah, you can pretty much discount this right now (and could from the very start). Despite desperate PR trying to suggest otherwise, it was never aimed at you, and will never be a good fit. I’m happy playing more casual stuff though. (See Wii Fit, DDR, Singstar)

But don’t fear it (and really, a lot of the stuff I’ve seen reeks of hardcore gamer fear, especially when the Wii made it big), because no-one’s going to stop making your multi million dollar AAAs because of it.

20. Erthazus

Again… It’s not because i don’t enjoy that piece of crap. I can enjoy for example that Dance game. It’s just this industry don’t need it.
    It’s a Piece of junk.

When i was 13-14 i and my father loved to go to the place where were arcade machines and there was *i don’t remember this game* it’s called Dance Revolution or something. It was really fun. I spent a lot of money on it just to dance and screw around with my father.

But Kinect or Move. Industry or consumer in reality don’t need it. Can you understand it?
    Movie industry, gaming industry or any other industry can create any possible junk they want and it will sell by a marketing push. But if you are not a tool…

Oh who am i talking too. Just as an example, you know why Russia (and other Commonwealth of Independent States) is the only country in the world where Wii does not sell? I’m just leaving this question to answer it to yourself.

I’m not going to answer or reply. Just don’t care anymore. Need to study.

21. Psychotext

We don’t need any of it, but what lives or dies is what the market demands. No more, no less.

Oh, and is it because in Soviet Russia games play you… or something?

(The answer is, according to research, demographics, there are very few older gamers in Russia, which is why Nintendo struggles. The average age of a gamer in Russia is considerably younger than in most of the rest of the world. Also, much like in New Zealand, their official distributor has / had a really bad rep.)

22. Crysis

I can understand your view point, you simply want it as a party device & nothing more, fair enough, i was just expecting something a little more from Kinect (but as mentioned, it’s not aimed at me despite what MS keeps telling us), i could easily get a wii for $50 less, but it’s not my thing, so i have no reason to get either, everyone has their own opinions, i’m a very varied gamer, but have an incredibly short list of party games i would actually play, i guess Rockband & Guitar Hero are the only 2 i can think of.
    I could imagine some fun ways it’ll be used in current games, but any camera with a decent resoloution could do, like taking a few photos with it then using it as a character in a sport game, or even an action game, imagine if GTA V allowed you to use Kinect or PS EYE to make the main guy look just like you :D just little touches like that would be sweet in modern gaming, just because it isn’t nessecary, doesn’t mean you can’t include it.

23. Psychotext

That last thing is one thing Kinect would actually be really good for. You see, rather than pasting / wrapping a flat image (as has been done many times before) you’d be able to get a decent 3D scan of your face to throw on an in game model.

Which would be sort of cool.

24. Galactic_Barret

So, you’re in it for the obvious (party, fitness, etc) as well as its future applications. I think thats perfectly reasonable.

Hell, any early PS3 should know about that, remember the results of that decision, and at least give the benefit-of-doubt.

Now, about that 3D headwrapping: I was thinking about that last night (in regards to move), and all I could picture was the original Max Payne, as in a decently detailed face pasted with the same expression on a poorly matched body, simply because the developers aren’t there to model it personally. I have a feeling that uploading and intergration have gotten better with technology, but what about facial expressions and moods? Is the solution to that more captures or is that possible to ‘fake’ with current tech?

25. Psychotext

With proper facial mapping and morphing they could do it in a more convincing manner, but again, you’d really probably need a 3D scan. Using multiple pictures will help for the standard image (I believe that’s what they’re doing these days), but it still wont give you a proper depth map of your face to work with.

26. Crysis

a proper 3D pciture needs 6 cameras, Sony was showing of their prototype cylinder screen where you could look from any angle & it would look like a hologram looking thing but trapped in a cylinder,
    -Ah! here’s the thing i’m rambling about
    they get those pictures using 6 cameras at once, awesome shit here. my point is, we can get proper looking images using 6 shots, but don’t expect much details or any expressions, just a still face.

27. Galactic_Barret

Is the Kinect still able to 3D scan faces? I remember that object scanning was canned or pushed back, and minute gestures (fingers) can’t be tracked. Can it differentiate between a scowl and a smile? Like TTP with iWaggle, I truly wish there was an independent gamer-owned website based on what Kinect can or cannot do.

28. Psychotext

You’d need 6 cameras to surround a face, but as you said, only one depth mapping camera to take shots from 6 angles… it would give you the basic 3D model, and from there it would be down to decent software to do the job based on mapping certain points on the face.

…and yes G_B. All the reduction in depth resolution means is that it couldn’t map your fingers reliably from a range where it could see your entire body. Nothing to stop you being closer if it was just for a one off thing.

As for telling the difference between a scowl and a smile. That’s RGB resolution for facial recognition, unless you wanted to measure how deep someone’s wrinkles were. ;)

29. frostquake

How will I be placated? I play standing on my Hands with my Feet waving in the air, while my head is buried in a 5 gallon of popcorn? Do they discriminate against us as well?
    ;)

30. Galactic_Barret

I just watched that link and that monitor is awesome. Can Kinect rotate? That tech combined with Kinect could solve the on-rails problem. Hell, if that 360* had a higher resolution, I’d buy one before Christmas.

Also, starting to feel less concerned about Kinect. Still, I need some general public impressions and feature list before I think of getting one. Thanks for answering my questions, PT.

31. Kuwabara

kinnect will be a disaster YOU FOOLS. worse than the xbox 360 RROD

32. manamana

Hahaha! You guys are so funny. Who cares anyway? Erthazus, since you dont have a real life, its probably hard for you to imagine, that the iPad (and a bunch of other hardware stuff by other companys) is indeed helpful, comfortable and easy to use. Right now I’m coming from a trip flying across germany where it is of verygood help. So for me its simply clever, while you think its for teh douchebagz. No I dont want a stupid, flimsi netbook, I had one, its not comfertable for me. But maybe for others, who knows, I dont care. You gonna need a change of mind, youngling, cause there are other people working out of your little world, in a way you simple will not understand, because you are far away from it… Calling the others douchebags want help you, believe me.

And since you can be right about sega CD, kinect, move and whatnot. Its only from your perspective, your world and you never can speak for others. Especially when you dont know the people you are talking to and sorry to tell you, but you are only a gamer. Good one maybe. Who cares. Next.

33. Erthazus

“Hahaha! You guys are so funny. Who cares anyway?”

you wrote a post so you care a LOT.

“Erthazus, since you dont have a real life, its probably hard for you to imagine, that the iPad (and a bunch of other hardware stuff by other companys) is indeed helpful, comfortable and easy to use.”

you want me to show you my photo? I really want to see a douchebag photo of you :D travelling with the cheap junk from Apple.
    Just another Apple tool that will spent 500$ or more for useless junk when i can buy a good ASUS laptop with great specs. So who have no life? Of course you. Keep a good job buying useless piece of trash to look cool idiot.

“No I dont want a stupid, flimsi netbook, I had one, its not comfertable for me.”

For you it’s not comfort”E”ble, for normal people it’s comfortable. Learn some english pal, even my bad english is better than yours.

A typical Apple and Justin bieber fan, they think they know it all. Keep up posting stupid posts of your stupid life bitch :D

@Psychotext, that shows your average knowledge of Commonwealth of Independent States. I mean it shows you that you are fucking stupid or don’t know nothing.
    You don’t know shit about these countries because i born in them and i know official distributor like 1C, Soft-club and whats happening there and why people don’t bother with it.
    Simple answer: They don’t want to look like a stupid shit.
    There are a lot of gamers and there is one of the biggest gaming fanbases in the world. Of course you don’t know what is STALKER or GSC, so.. keep up the good job.
    It has nothing to do with the “younger gamers” or “Bad rep”.

PS: As i said before and will say it again: Gaming industry don’t need this piece of junk. Software is what defines the experience, not peripherals, consoles, machines. It’s like movie industry. Everything is already created for the experience.
    Kinect can do a good thing when you can play a game and use some gesture somewhere but it’s not the time yet for this.
    Even if Wii is successfull it’s not a future and we see that a lot now. A piece of junk that had a great PR push behind it. Some of you played Wii Sports Resort and than came back to the original games like SMB, Metroid where in most cases you use just a pad.
    It’s a gimmick. It’s my oopinion. You can buy any piece of junk you want. Good luck being a tool for few minutes.

34. Crysis

@33, Noone buys an iPad for specs, as someone who personally doesn’t like Apple, i admit that these new tablets have their uses, obviously not as powerful as a notebook, but that’s not their intention, it’s an easy to use multifunction device, perfect for businessman purely for conveniance, it’s not meant to be a gift to gamers from god, & how does it make them douchebags? sure you could assume that everyone who buys one is a potentious snob, which is definately not true, even if it were, why would you give a damn? you seem to go far out of your way simply to insult someone because you are too stubborn to see it from another prespective:
    wii is not a hardcore console-duh! It’s a kiddies, party & Nintendo lover console, nothing more, we get that you don’t fit into any of these categories, shut up about it because others do.
    iPad/Tablets are not as powerful as notebooks-duh! They’re not meant to be, it’s capable of low grade gaming, but that’s not they’re main function, one day they will have proper pc/mac OSs & comparable specs, but not today, get over it.

P.S. i find this comment aimed @ PT ironic “don’t know nothing” you do realise that don’t means do not, “do not know nothing” that’s horrible English & it means the opposite from what you meant for it to say, correct use would be “don’t know anything” or “know nothing”, don’t get angry at me on this, it’s one of the most common mistakes in the English language, but it’s a fairly large mistake when you give it some thought though.

35. Psychotext

“Psychotext, that shows your average knowledge of Commonwealth of Independent States. I mean it shows you that you are fucking stupid or don’t know nothing.”

Seems to me like you’re jumping to conclusions that aren’t there. I took those findings from research into that very subject… also, given how quick you are to resort to insults; I wouldn’t be so quick to question the intelligence of others.

Edit – @Crysis: It might have been worse, he might have said that he “could care less about other people’s opinions”…

36. The Hindle

I have a bad feeling about this, the fact MS are putting so much behind it is bad, 12 months till the next decent 360 exclusive “Gears 3″ shows this, to have any decent experience with a game you need a controller its as simple as that and Kinect doesnt so youre never going to get any AAA games that use it.

I understand why MS are making this as they need to bolster thier appeal beyond the shooter crowd but still they could have chose a different avenue then waving your arms around.

37. Erthazus

“As for lots of gamers there… yeah, there must be a massive amount, which explains why even the most popular console (PS2) sell a piss poor amount vs countries with far smaller populations.”

Again, you are wrong. The most popular device is PSP.
    the most popular console device is Xbox 360.
    But in most cases they all play PC.

Again, that shows that you don’t know shit. I live in the country of Commonwealth of Independent States. There are always statistics in every Soft-Club or 1C shop.
    By the way, i’m saying again. The most popular gaming device is PC. Oh yeah and DS don’t sell here at all btw.

“I took those findings from research into that very subject…”

Prove link or it never happened. Want stats? They are at 1C site and GTFO. + i don’t even need stats because i know how people live here in most cases and what they like to play. So again, you know SHIT.

@Crysis

“multifunction device”

Wait.. What? So there is MULTITASKING? :D Yah? Such a cool device without a multitasking for 500$

“perfect for businessman purely for conveniance”

prove link that it is perfect for businessman? Or it is just your opinion?
    So Lap Top or VAIO or Mac Book is not perfect for business man?

“wii is not a hardcore console-duh!”

Thanks Captain obvious i never knew that.

38. Psychotext

I can’t link you to the research because it’s subscription based, but here’s an interview where a similar thing is discussed: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-russian-front

39. manamana

@erthz Oh, you’ve found a typo. Keep it, then.
    As for the “looking cool” horsecrap: that’s exactly what kids like you think. And that’s good, I’m cool with that.

And for your expertise on the consolemarket I state, for my pleasure(your lookalike haircut), Princess Leia: I don’t know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

I dont care what you think of others, since you let it show seven days a week, what an bloody expert of a gamer you are. I meant the whole Kinect story. We will wait and see, thats all. If its a desaster like 32X, I wont care. And you could care less, also. Simple because especially you are not meant as a customer. So, you can hate all M$ products all your life(except your glorious gamingrig PC), but there will be others who simple dont. A fact you eventually like to ignore on this site. Basherus I suggest as a name for you. Haterus would fit you also good. Go!

40. lexph3re

Ok…. outside of all. That argueing. I have one question. Do people really expect to have a high end camera for gesture scanning, video conferencing, gaming, and a basic interface for only 150$ (outside of the mandatory live subscription needed. For it to work) I personally just wouldn’t buy it because of price point and tech. Its like buying a digital camera with a subscription stuck to it

41. Crysis

Kinect’s resoloution is actually lower than the PS Eyes.
    @Erthazus, “Thanks Captain obvious i never knew that” that’s exactly why i followed with the duh, imbecile,
    “So Lap Top or VAIO or Mac Book is not perfect for business man” first off, vaios & mac books are brands of laptops, secondly i didn’t say they weren’t perfect for businessmen, i said iPads & tablets can be more conveniant, they’re easier to lug around & quicker to use.
    you are the most ignorant person on this site, not the most stupid with the likes of ‘itsucks’ among others, but your arrogance is what makes you so irritating to everyone here, you constantly insult people simply because they disagree, you can never admit when you’re wrong, you can’t even concieve of the fact other’s have different opinions, & you often demand proof from statements when more often than not, your statements are more obsurd-You’re an ignorant hypocrite, you are not superior to anyone here in anyway, stop acting like it.