Microsoft expanding XBL and GFWL into nine other countries this fall

Friday, 15th October 2010 20:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbl

Microsoft’s announced Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live services will be made available in nine new countries starting November 10.

The lucky recipients are: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Russia, and South Africa.

Each will be able to access either service using the following languages: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.

Those who have registered accounts in a foreign country will be able to keep all stored information and migrate the account over to the proper location, getting their account rounded up to the nearest month.

Facebook, Twitter and Zune will still be unavailable, so if these items are in use with the respective service, all information will be non-transferable.

Pricing has not been established, but MS expect it to be consistent with other areas of the globe.

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. fdelfino

great. now all I need is R$2500 to buy a console.

2. Hunam

Giving them Xbox Live is amazing, inflicting them with GFWL is just cruel.

3. Man_s

@Hunam So true. :)

I’ve already posted this comment on another website in the hope of getting an answer, but I’ll try here as well:

Is this migration information officially from Microsoft? I ask this simply because, having a UK account, when Portugal was graced with the service, I contacted Microsoft to ask about the possibility of a migration process only to be informed by Microsoft support that, due to the way the system was designed (?!) it would not allow account region migration.

I’m wondering if this has changed in the meantime somehow or if they just didn’t give a damn and gave me a bullshit response, like I thought they did from the beggining?

Thanks in advance Ms. Nunneley.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 I found the press release and it says you can deffo migrate your account. Chalk what you were told up to the *lovely* customer service there. (don’t get me started *wink). Hope the PR below makes you more confident in it. Still, I’d make sure first so it doesn’t muck anything up for you.

Oh and no need to thank me, even in advance. Always happy to help if and when I can. :)

With 25 million members around the world and growing, we’re excited to be bringing the core gaming and entertainment features that have made Xbox LIVE the world’s premier online gaming service to new markets around the world. On November 10, Xbox LIVE will be available in Russia, Poland, South Africa, Greece, Czech Republic, Hungary, Brazil, Colombia, and Chile.

Play your favorite multiplayer games with friends on Xbox LIVE, rack up your gamerscore, and download the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade and Games on Demand hits to your console in the comfort of your living room. You can even extend the life of your games by downloading the latest game add-ons, which include extra map packs, levels, characters, and songs.

This Holiday, Xbox LIVE and Kinect for Xbox 360 will open up a new world of games, entertainment, and friends.

Migrating Your Account
    We want everyone to have fun. If you live in one of nine new LIVE markets and already have a LIVE account through a different region it will be possible to migrate your account to join the official LIVE network in your country.

When you migrate your LIVE account you get to keep your profile, gamerscore, achievements, points balance and subscription time remaining. You also get to keep any downloaded content such as your avatar items, Arcade games, and game add-ons.

Before you start with account migration there are some important things you need to know:

* Some services may not be available in your country.
    * Previously purchased or downloaded content (videos, games, add-ons, etc.) will not be downloadable again after migration at this point in time, so remember to save your purchased content to your hard drive or a USB flash drive.

* The account migration process is not reversible.

For more information, please read the detailed FAQ.

5. Man_s

Thank you for the added information. It definitely seems that you can migrate your account. I’m not really sure I want to, knowing what I know from how the portuguese Live Marketplace is handled, i.e., dubious translations, lacking content and the like, and all that stuff about the previously purchased content not being downloadable again is kind of annoying, but it definitely is good to finally have the option.

On another note, I do find it is necessary to be polite. I treat people the same, online or off. The internet is full of jerks as it is. :) Thanks again!

6. artursz1993

please LIVE to Latvia :) maybe Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania :) )