Fable II is free on Xbox Live no longer

Friday, 15th October 2010 21:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

fableII

Yes. You read the title right. It’s no longer free. For some anyway.

A special surprise earlier, thanks to a glitch on XBL, gave folks Fable II for free, and while the error seems to be fixed, some users are reporting it still says “free” on their end.

The glory only lasted a couple of hours, but now it’s back to $19.99 on some ends. It was the full game as well, not episodic or “buy to continue”.

If you donwloaded it while the mistake was in place, we are not liable for your thievery. But at the same time, bravo for you.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in.

1. Garthy30

Just got all excited about this just to find out that its not FREE perhaps they have fixed the glitch OH WELL.

2. Psychotext

Still showing as free for me, maybe you need gold. I’ve not downloaded it (I already have the game), but friends of mine have.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Still shows as free on this end.

4. spiderLAW

so if we download it, then they fix it, the download wont work anymore?

5. Johnny Cullen

Seems to be fixed now. I just tried downloading it while it said it was free (even though I have a hard copy already), but they’ve fixed it now by the looks of it.

It was free on the online MP, but not on the console MP.

6. cookiejar

I’m downloading now. We’ll see what happens.

7. Johnny Cullen

If you got it before it was fixed, you should be able to continue to download it.

It was the same for a batch of Mass Effect 2 DLC that got out before the game released.

8. Stephany Nunneley

Still showing free here. I already have it though so I am not going to get it. Apparently, it works though. I’m on the phone with someone regarding it now. Thieves. :D

9. Aimless

Seems to have gone through for me.

I actually still have the game on disc and all the DLC on my HDD, but I figured I might as well expend 10 seconds to process it anyway.

10. The Hindle

Dam if only this would have happened last week i could of got the DLC for half price, come on MS screw up with the DLC as well :D

11. Michael O’Connor

Still works for me. Just “bought” it. =P

12. anjin

I’m downloading too, I’m blaming VG247 if I get banned

13. Stephany Nunneley

“we are not liable for your thievery” :D

14. Michael O’Connor

If you “buy” it from Xbox.com, it should automatically begin downloading on your console.

15. cookiejar

Not our fault if they ballsed up :D

16. Fin

Still showing free for me anyway! (and a friend in the states)

17. DJ Deathstar

Hasn’t it always said free because its done via episodes and the first episode is free and then once you complete the free section its prompts you to pay to continue on to the next episode?
    *Edit*
    Haha just read the end of the article!

18. Michael O’Connor

DJ Deathstar: As far as I know, this is the full game, not the episodic stuff. It’s a 7GB. It’s full price on the European store, and I can remember the episodic content coming out in Europe and not being that large.

I’ll try to confirm if its the full game or not once I’ve downloaded it.

19. anjin

or maybe not, I hope I’m not using up 7gb of bandwidth for the first episode :\

20. Michael O’Connor

I *distinctly* recall the single episode only being about 1.5GB or so.

Only way to find out is for someone to let us know once they’ve downloaded it.

21. anjin

Regardless of size that tweet suggests that you’ll still have to pay for the second episode onwards. . .

22. Michael O’Connor

@21 The tweet after that was in response to someone pointing out that it was the wrong size, and they’re “looking into it.”

I can’t even *find* the free episodic content on the European store anymore, just the full game for €29.99

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

23. Mike

Well, I Dl’ed the Free 6.6Gb version. Loaded my old, endof-game save and it worked. So it “was” the full game.

There. No debate, really. :)

24. Mike

Oh, and it’s still free: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307f1/?p=1&of=6&bt=0&sb=1&did=00000001-0000-4000-8000-00004d5307f1

25. EscoBlades

Only the first episode is free. If you wish to carry on playing after that, you have to pay.

Swines.

26. Mike

READ MY POST
    . (number 23)

27. Garthy30

Its not letting me download now keeps comeing up with “Sorry

This item is not available for purchase from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web.”

28. DJ Deathstar

Thing is i’m pretty sure its been like this for ages now as i remember seeing it as free and no sign of any episodes months ago! I just assumed it was the pay to continue thing but if not its been free for like months!

29. Bikki

I was seconds away for not getting this for free. It’s 19.99 $ in the us store now again. EDIT: wait, it’s free again, wtf are they doing?

30. Michael O’Connor

Just finished downloading. It’s the full game alright, just like Mike said.

31. LordCancer

kinda like walking into a store and the clerks been knocked out by a robber so you take what you want without paying. gamers are a moral bunch eh.

32. thegreatone18

I downloaded it, and it is indeed the full game. Thanks Microsoft. :)

33. Crysis

Just completed this earlier today (my sister actually had the game), as per usual, every town i walked in somehow became a lot quiter when i walked out, maybe something to do with the slaughtered woman?
    Anyway, it says it’s free here, but i already have access to it & even if i didn’t, i only have the 20gb hdd & most of it is already taken up from my Halo: Reach install, (my last 360 console was infamous for scratching disks-RIP Gears of War 2, so i install my favourite games to reduce the risk on this console).
    I somehow managed to become rich very quickly, without exploiting, just purchased several cheap places & maxed out the prices, before i know it, i own whole cities & have 2mil (currently 22thou each income period)-maybe if i stopped the slaughtering, the economy would rise…

34. artursz1993

I cant download ;(((((((((((((((((
    it says: This item is not available for purchase from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web.

Yesterday it was telling about region, or smgh like that. help me. how to get it work and download?

35. xmaster dosx

tried all last night to make it work.
    its done and gone now.
    i always miss out on the good free stuff