Yamauchi explains GT5 delay, chalks it up to “ironing out kinks”

Thursday, 14th October 2010 09:11 GMT By Nathan Grayson

granturismo5

GT5′s just too kinky, apparently.

“Apologies for the delay,” creator Kazunori Yamauchi tweeted (as translated by Kotaku).

“It’s because time and labour were spent ironing the kinks out of [the game's] complex system. I’m really sorry. Everyone, it’s inexcusable… Wait a little longer.”

“Inexcusable”? It’s just a short delay – not the end of the world. Gran Turismo fans, what have you been doing to this poor man? Wait a minute! Those bruises weren’t actually from the time he tripped down the stairs at a series of increasingly strange angles, were they?

1. Dannybuoy

god this game better be good

2. Hunam

It’ll be made out of bacon.

3. Syrok

There better be kosher and halal versions.

4. Blerk

Must have been some fairly serious ‘kinks’ to actually delay the game for it rather than fixing them with a day one patch. Last-minute show-stopper? I’d have hoped they’d have been locked down and polishing the minor issues by this point.

5. Goffee

Nathan,

understand Japanese culture a little. You get a grovelling apology by the station manager if a train arrives a minute late, you get sobbed at by waitresses if the wrong food order turns up. In Japan, apology is a serious artform, “inexcusable” means he’s probably being hunted down by men in black pyjamas.

6. manamana

Yes, but will it blend?

7. Herlock

My friends are crying :(

8. DGOJG

I’ve never been interested in the racing game genre but I do understand that this is a big deal (or rather was) to people. Its quiet shocking its taking this long to release a game they’ve been promising since the dawn of the PS3. If I’d been waiting this god damn long for a game I’d expect this thing to be making me food and drink while I play the bloody thing.

9. Freek

That would The Stigs japanese cousins :p

10. Goffee

@9 – Chortle. Stig-san has to be a winner for the new job

11. Psychotext

I suppose at least we can end the conspiracy theories about what caused the delay now.

12. G1GAHURTZ

This game could well end up being a 1st gen PS4 title.

13. Kuwabara

it will be released next year. Sony are aiming for their greatest yr ever, in exclusive releases, being around 10-15 great titles.

14. Erthazus

@12 It won’t when GT6 is already in production at some point.

engine is ready (so it won’t be like 5 years), concept is probably ready.

15. DSB

One of the official Sony outlets confirmed December, didn’t they? Releasing between Xmas and January is probably one of the worst places of the entire year. Even summer is better than that.

I’m sure it’s going to be a good game, and it’s going to be owned by anyone with a PS3, myself included, but in terms of managing a project, it’s right up there with the most hopeless of them. If you want to give a guy a decade to make a game, at least don’t advertise that in the press.

I think it’s gonna stand and fall in the press over how well the different styles work. If half of them suck and half are great, then it’s gonna be ripped to shreds.

Personally it’s all about the AI and whether they balance out the AI when you start to upgrade. Otherwise it’s the same old thing to me.

@14 I’m no engine buff, as you know, but do you really think they can use the one they have for the next one, too? It looks good and everything, but it’s pretty old now. GT has a tradition for being more beautiful with each iteration. I guess they could upgrade it.

16. Erthazus

@15 Engine is great. Lightning effects and e.t.c. are stunning. If something feels really old they can upgrade it with effects.
    + it’s not just graphics, visuals, but engine is capable of running game at 1080p. Now engine is capable of car damage. I hope they improve damage.

Everything is done with the engine, everything else depends on the artists, designers and e.t.c.

+ Polyphony always used 1 engine for 2 games in the past.

17. Doomsayer

They should rename it to “GT5 forever”

18. DSB

@16 True, that would make sense.

I remember Gran Turismo 3 on PS2 being pretty much the only game that looked good on that console. That was pretty impressive :P

19. typeface

GT planet’s done some digging for us. Seems like it IS production delays. As in blu-ray production delays. Actually that in a way (if accurate but seems like it) feels quite sad cause people would rage on Kaz rather than Sony’s actual production flop.

and

edit: though it technically still would be his fault for giving it 3 days late and not calculating it. Sounds like a case of perfectionism regardless.

20. Isuru86

End of November, my Ass

21. Psychotext

Supposedly they’re now “targeting a new release window within approximately 8-12 days after November 26th”

Does the game still need to go through certification or something? Because surely if it’s gold they can just decide a date now and get on with it. It’s not like they don’t own a shitload of blu-ray capable plants.

22. b163oi

Already paid for, so this waiting game is killings me. the mans a perfectionist so its understandable, but only to a certain degree p_q

23. typeface

It’s pretty much speculation as to why and when the dates will be.
    But if as they say the review copies are on the way to reviewers hands in the next few weeks and there’s no change there I suspect that we’ll get the game within a month from that period.

As for 8-12 days after November 26th, it is Black Friday in the US. Would releasing a new title be good during that time when people would be fishing for deals? I mean most people would prefer getting two-three games for the price of one than a single title right?
    But December 7th for the US does sound like a decent tentative date and the 9th/10th for the EU/UK which would effectively make it the last release of the year (except EU of course which gets Splatterhouse on the 17th).

The only release they have for the week of the 26th at the moment is the Sly Cooper Trilogy.

Interestingly as I type this I get info from Game that the release is for December 2010 (for the signature edition). Though trusting the GAME info seems rubbish I think a December date does seem quite likely.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

It’s unfortunate for them, due to the ridiculously long developement time, and multiple delays, our expectations are SOOOO high now some critics may judge more harshly than they would have otherwise.

Then again, critics reviews lately tend to always be biased by SOMETHING.. (IGN Castlevania review says HI!)

25. onlineatron

GT55555 YOU REALLY GOT ME DEALYIIING
    YOU DELAYED ME SO I DON’T KNOW WHEN YOU’RE OUT!

26. The Hindle

This delay has got me wondering about the future of the GT franchise though, will GT 6 best be saved as a PS4 launch title so that way if the game is also another 6 year project it will hit roughly Year 2 of the PS4 cycle?

Or will they do a quick turnround for GT 6 and relase it in say 2012 as now the engine is in place it wouldnt take that long. Intriguing is this

/Strokes chin

27. cookiejar

Guess it was Sony pushing to get F/W 3.50 on the disc after all.