First Halo: Reach map pack, Noble Map Pack, launching on November 30 for 800 MSP

Thursday, 14th October 2010 14:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

reach-mp

Microsoft’s just announced details of the first map pack for Halo: Reach, known as Noble Map Pack.

The three new maps, known as Anchor 9, Tempest and Breakpoint will launch on Xbox Live Marketplace on November 30 for 800 MS points.

Anchor 9 is a repair base for UNSC ships, as its dockyards “provide rapid refueling and repairs for a variety of UNSC vessels”. and is a perfect map for two-eight players on Free for All, Team Slayer and Team Objective.

Tempest, meanwhile, is an “abandoned shoreline facility” that “bends both sea and sky to an unnatural purpose.” The map is suitable for eight-16 player combat on Big Team Battle, Free for All, Team Slayer, Team Objective and more, and also provides a “a huge Forge palette.”

Finally, Breakpoint is a map which has an “artifact” buried beneath it which is “key to our survival.” It’s perfect for eight-16 players and is suitable for Big Team Battle and Invasion.

Here’s the full details:

• TempestThough we may never fully understand these devices, it is not our nature to leave ancient stones unturned.” This abandoned shoreline facility bends both sea and sky to an unnatural purpose, but the ground itself has quickly become another all too familiar battlefield. Though the two opposing symmetrical bases may never reveal their ancient purpose, both now offer makeshift shelter and access to strategic routes perfectly suited for small and large scale skirmishes alike. Tempest supports 8 – 16 players and offers a variety of modes including Free for All, Team Slayer, Team Objective and Big Team Battle. Tempest also provides players with a huge Forge palette, allowing them to create new custom map variants that can be shared with the community-at-large
  • Anchor 9 – “Orbital dockyards provide rapid refuelling and repairs for a variety of UNSC vessels.” Within the confines of this low orbit dry-dock, UNSC craft undergo rapid repair and rearmament in support of the enduring war effort. But for the small squads of infantry who now fight over the mirrored interior hallways and open central hangar bay, this platform no longer provides any safe harbour – whether the close quarters combat is occurring inside or out of its artificial gravitational field. Anchor 9 allows 2-8 players to face off in game variants including Free for All, Team Slayer and Team Objective
  • Breakpoint – “ONI officials believe the data buried within this artefact is key to our survival.” Atop this icy precipice, the Invasion continues. These modular archaeological labs were never intended to withstand such a large scale onslaught of Covenant military power, but the information being extracted here may prove vital to humanity’s survival. In response to the imminent Covenant threat, UNSC ground and air assets have been deployed to bolster entrenched Spartan countermeasures. This dig site must yield salvation, or it will become a grave. Breakpoint offers multiplayer mayhem for 8-16 players, and supports the Invasion and Big Team Battle game variants

The Noble Map Pack will include all new Achievements worth a total of 250 Gamerscore points.

1. Suikoden Fan

the halo cow is looking awfully dry right about now, too many games with too many map pack dlcs, its getting fucking ridiculous

2. DJ Deathstar

I’ll be getting this methinks, also apparently Bungie are gonna also be adding some new Forge World variants into matchmaking too at some point

3. reask

@ 1
    I agree fully I mean the game only came out a couple of weeks ago.

4. evilashchris

I’ll have to get it, I suppose.

5. spiderLAW

Well, if you look at #2 and #4 (prime examples), why wouldn’t they do this and so early.
    This map pack is nearly as much of a rape as MW2 map packs. You get 3 maps for 800ms? WTF….1) If these maps were ready that fast, I’m sure they had them ready for launch and could have included them in the actual game or gave DLC codes for free unlocking. 2) For 800MS they should have made it at least 4 maps and 1 extra game variation or something similar.
    These map packs and DLC in general get more and more ridiculous as time goes on. Pretty soon its going to ruin games entirely and I will quit being a gamer.

6. Freek

Isn’t Breakpoint just a recycled SP and firefight map?

7. spiderLAW

@6 I think Tempest is too….im not sure.

8. DSB

Nobody forces anyone to buy a map pack.

The fact that they’re steeply priced just means you’ll have plenty of people to play with if you choose not to buy it.

You can always choose to be outraged for the sake of being outraged, but you still have complete control over what you buy or you don’t. That’s the only vote you get as a consumer, and that’s why I don’t buy from publishers putting Ubisoft, Starforce or Microsoft DRM in their games.

Of course the fact that most developers are cutting content that’s already been made from their games, and only letting you have it if you pay again, is a huge bummer. That’s a bit like a drugdealer.

9. _S_E_R_G_

let the milking begins..

10. reask

I fully agree dsb.
    My point been the rip off is getting more and more blatant.
    In no time you will be buying a game with only half the story on it with the rest been DLC. :)

11. Freek

The whole “nobody forces you buy anything” is a non argument. It’s the comments section where people express their opinion. Some of those opinions will be “I like this map pack” some of them will be the oposite. Some of them will be about price. All are valid reactions. There’s no outrage here, just opinions.

12. DJ Deathstar

@6,7

Nah i know the maps your thinking of, but these definately aren’t remakes of them judging from the screenshots.

13. Psychotext

“It’s the comments section where people express their opinion. Some of those opinions will be “I like this map pack” some of them will be the oposite. Some of them will be about price. All are valid reactions.”

I like cheese.

* ERROR – INVALID REACTION *

Fuck. =/

14. Freek

Damn straight, nobody likes cheese.

15. Erthazus

These map packs in my opinion are ridiculous.

Map packs in the past in most cases were always free. Now it’s more of a business thing.

I remember when you buy a game you are done with it. Now, it’s different.

Look at the Mafia II. Crappy game and to make it decent you need to buy loads of DLC.

I hate it. I bought only Uncharted 2 DLC 1 map pack and felt robbed by a company.

DLC always existed in some form (before 7th gen consoles) like TES 3:Morrowind missions pack or Battlefield 2 thing, but it was cheap and not important. Just added some experience to it if you are a frekin apeshit about the product.

16. Blerk

Would you still like cheese if it was 800 points though, eh? EH?

17. spiderLAW

Yup. Thats why i never buy DLC (will be getting Red Dead’s new Undead Nightmares though as thats a perfect example of GOOD DLC if the price is right of course) and the only DLC i have bought so far was the $2.99 skin pack that let you play as Sev, Helghast, G.Cole, E.Cole, N.Hale, and Chimera which to me is worth the buy as all those probably took some time and money for Naughty Dog to get the liscense to use the characters.

My complaint about DLC is really that the more money they earn, the more DEVS want to use it to make more money and eventually it will ruin games entirely.I mean, soon we will probably see “pay $5 for the DLC to continue on to level 3″….disgusting

Sorry if my words are all crazy and jumbled…havent slept for 28hrs

18. Psychotext

“Would you still like cheese if it was 800 points though, eh? EH?”

/calculates

As long as it got me a kg of mature cheddar, sure.

19. Psychotext

“all those probably took some time and money for Naughty Dog to get the license to use the characters”

Sony owns all of them. It would have cost ND nothing.

20. Dralen

3 Maps for 800ms! That really is a bit of a piss take.

21. spiderLAW

was just about to edit that out. i wasnt thinking while typing.
    I am really okay with buying the skin pack because those characters dont belong in Uncharted so it was cool to have them. Should they have been in the game as unlockables, probably but with how long it took them just to get a few skins out, i think it might have been an idea that came after release.

22. Freek

As soon as I become emporer of the universe, cheese will be outlawed.
    Wich ofcourse will lead to a cheese mafia to smuggle the illicit dairy product. I will allow them to exist so as long as I get a 20% cutt of the proffits, from the top.
    I can be a hypocritcal greedy bastard because I’ll be empororer of the universe, and my shock troops will deal with any decent.

Long story short; you’ll soon be paying allot more then 800 magic space MS bucks for cheese.

23. DSB

@11 I wasn’t telling anyone to shut up, I was just pointing out that it’s being offended for the sake of being offended. That’s as much a comment as anything else.

If you truly want those maps, that price isn’t going to keep you from them. And if you don’t want them, there will be many others who feel the same way, so you won’t be stuck playing with yourself.

The existential threat that might pose to anyone completely escapes me.

@15 That’s a highly selective memory. Map packs haven’t even been around for that long. Back in the old days, they were made by fans a lot of the time, so of course they were gonna be free.

A great example is Battlefield 2, which certainly did everything it could to maximize profits with its expansion packs. Those were way too expensive compared to the content, as well.

Then again, there were three free map packs for PC players in World At War.

I’m not saying that free maps wouldn’t be awesome, but I have a hard time seeing any professional developer, and especially publisher, give away their stuff for free.

24. Psychotext

@Freek: Says you, I’ll have Wallace & Gromit on my side, and you can’t deal with those odds.

25. spiderLAW

I DO want those maps. I really do want more maps in Halo Reach (Reach has the least amount of maps ive seen in Halo since CE)
    but i wont pay 800ms for them. I dont think that we should even have to pay 400ms for them but at least 400ms would have been a pretty reasonable price (free would be ideal since we already forked out $60 for the damn game).

26. Fantastic

DSB, your such a fucking tool sometimes.

But I guess your right, we don’t have to buy DLC. We could also stop playing games altogether. But then again if you want to enjoy your hobby, and the investment you have already made(hello games aren’t cheap even w/o DLC), if you don’t want to have your friends list split between those that have the maps and those that don’t, you need to buy the fucking maps packs.

Its why they do it to begin with.

I would rather them charge me the upfront price and be honest about it. Just charge me 120bucks for the game. Because that is exactly where they are going at this point.

Sometimes industry people wonder out loud why new game sales drop. Some blame used games. Some blame the draw of online. I give both of those nods, but I also blame DLC.

Instead of buying several games, alot of us have to buy fewer and focus on keeping those games “upto date” with our money instead. Great if your one of the top sellers in the Online MP market. Not so great if your trying to push something different(Alan Wake comes to mind), or if your trying to push a not so well known IP.

27. Freek

Not me personally no, but the cheese mafia has a stake in this aswell. This is bigger then you and me and certain people simply won’t allow their bottom line to be effected.
    Accidents can happen…

28. DSB

@25 Then you don’t want them bad enough, man :P

I know I’m a bit of a cynic, but that’s just the way the market works. The guy selling stuff sets his price, and you either give it or you don’t.

Of course it really sucks if you’re on a bootstring budget, and I live in a place where people usually aren’t in that situation, so maybe I’m being too introverted and cynical, but it just doesn’t strike me as a pile of cash.

@26 I’m not out to insult anyone. I try not to do that unless someone else kicks it off.

I completely agree with everything you say, but that’s just the way it is today, and that’s certainly how the industry intends to keep it.

If you throw a rally against retarded DLC schemes, I’ll be there. Until then, I accept it as the way it works, and make my own decisions as a consumer accordingly.

29. Psychotext

@27: lol

30. spiderLAW

So then maybe instead of charging super high prices for Pro Developed maps they should allow user created (using a PC) maps to be downloaded and used in the game’s private matches or split screen matches or friendly matches or….um….etc. lol

I do want them bad enough, so bad but i wont budge on the DLC crap. I have plenty other games i could play if i get bored of the same old maps.
    Im not on a bootstring budget. Im a very successful freelance concept artist. Its just that i am a gamer. I shouldnt have to feel that part of my game that i payed $60 (which i used to pay $50-$40 for) for is missing for the sake of cashing in on DLC. Its cheating. Just like capcom and there Multiplayer DLC for RE5.
    I think DLC would be great if it added something entirely NEW to the game like the Undead Nightmare dlc is going to for Red Dead redemption. You know, kinda like a spin off game or a 1.5 game before part 2 comes out (basically a new continuation). And it should be a fair price. The DLC for GTA4 side games (stories and gay tony) was a bit overpriced but it was going in the right direction of adding something new. DLC can be great, if done right which right now it isnt.

31. DSB

@30 I don’t blame you, but from the point of view of the market, you don’t want it bad enough to pay the price.

That’s all I’m saying.

I don’t savor paying 16 euro for a stupid map pack, but if it’s a game I spend hours and hours on, I’ll bite the bullet on that. As such, the publisher wins, he got me that time.

I wish DLC would go to hell, and I wish that publishers would rely on quality to make people pay for their games, rather than punishing them with shitty DRM schemes and stupid surcharges, but that’s not the way the world works right now.

I totally agree though. Actual expansions are leagues better, and they’re totally ripping you off by removing content from the finished product and selling it seperately.

32. back_up

3 maps for 10$ wtf

33. Dralen

I am also one of the people that really want these maps, but I refuse to pay more than what they are worth. If people keep buying them at the high prices they are currently, developers inevitably crank up the price again in the future, so I will not pay for them at those prices.

34. abnormal alan

my view on this can be summed up in one link

35. freedoms_stain

What sickens me about a lot of map packs is that they’re rehashed single player sections.

The devs have done little more than block off areas, add weapon spawns and away we go.

Very little work and boom, $10 bucks a pop.

36. Dr.Ghettoblaster

These maps should have been included on the master disc for consumers. Plain and simple.

The “just post release DLC scandal” has gotten WAY out of control.

Great game, but fuck this company. I won’t be buying this map pack that’s 100% certain.

37. freedoms_stain

@36, maybe they are, wait to see how big the download is :p

38. DrDamn

I’m often a defender of DLC on here, but this does seem too soon for map packs which are going to splinter your online community. On the price there is a history in Halo of price reductions and eventually becoming free to download isn’t there?

39. polygem

i think it´s too expensive for 3 maps. they could have been included on disc for sure. BUT…i love this game. the replayability of reach is outstanding. you really get some great value for your money if you are into the mp. i love to get new maps already because i play a few matches almost every day. i´ll definitely get all the map packs…it´s not 1200 points at last. which would indeed be a complete rip off. i think 800 for 4 (not 3) maps is ok as dlc pricing…

40. spiderLAW

they never become free. They become discounted for amonth and then back up to normal price. The only occasion where people THOUGHT they got the whole experience for free was with ODST 2nd disc which was the complete Halo MP experience….but then soon after release, Bungie release 1 more map pack so people got raped yet again.

41. Dralen

@39 I think 400 is a good price for 4.

@40 I think one of the map packs became free in Halo 3 for a while. Because I never bought any of the packs and I remember getting the first map pack for free after the mythic pack was released.

42. Hybridpsycho

It’s quite ridiculous that they release map packs (like most companies) so early after release…they’re like “Yes, we actually had this made and fixed before release but we want yer money so we’re being jerks and taking extra money from you.” :/

43. Callum

After a while they did become free in Halo 3. I remember doing some LAN tornys and different boxes having different map packs caused a complete fucking nightmare!

I won’t be buying any DLC. I love the game itself and I adore the multiplayer, but I just don’t feel the NEED yet. The old maps aren’t old and they aren’t boring…I havn’t learned all the ins and outs and I still disocver new stuff most days.

44. Michael O’Connor

Robbery.

I’ll be waiting for the obligatory half price sale of these about so months down the line before I even consider touching these.