Armada of the Damned canceled, lay-offs hit Propaganda

Thursday, 14th October 2010 22:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

piratesofthecaribbeanarmadaofthedamned

Disney has canceled production of its action-RPG Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned amid lay-offs at Propaganda Studios.

The news was confirmed to Kotaku, with Disney Interactive’s Angela Emery stating:

“Disney Interactive Studios confirms the cancellation of the Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned video game which was scheduled to be released in 2011.

“As a result of this decision, Disney Interactive Studios completed a restructuring of Propaganda Games, its Vancouver, BC internal studio, affecting one of the studio’s two development teams.

“The studio is still in active production of TRON: Evolution, the video game, which will be released on December 7 with additional DLC support following the game’s release.”

According to sources close to Kotaku, as many as 100 people were let go this week. The remaining team from Pirates were shifted over to out on Tron.

Shame folks are losing their jobs, and it’s a shame because Armada of the Damned looked really cool, and we heard from folks who had looked at it that it was coming along nicely.

1. The_Deleted

Shame. This one looked like it could have gone one better than the films and actually have been good. Still, why should a one off pirate game take precedence when there are FPS’s needing shelf space.

2. Crysis

Shame, this looked to be the first good Pirates of the Carribean game, but this honestly doesn’t surprise me.

3. AHA-Lambda

what? this is surprising, it looked like it was well on and quite good

4. Aimless

That’s odd, I’d heard nothing but good things about it. I was looking forward to another Fable-ish game, so I’d be interested in hearing the reasoning behind the cancellation.

5. Stephany Nunneley

I was so on board with this game. The first PotC console game had potential, but missed the mark with all the damn bugs.

6. SplatteredHouse

Daaaaarn. :( I’ve not cared a bit about the Tron game, but I thought the Armada of Damned one had good potential.

7. Xuchilbara

After comparing user comments I can say that I am VERY happy I don’t go to Kotaku anymore… There is a much more respectable user base here and not just a bunch of lames trying to get shock laughs / comments, except for LOLShock…

Back on subject… I am sad to hear this game was scrapped! If anything I wish Tron would have been…

8. LordCancer

GOD DAMMIT WTF!

9. frostquake

I will add my “What a Shame” comment as well, everything I had seen, along with some great game play demo’s…this would have done well.

Since it is Disney I don’t think it will ever see the light of day again, too bad to! I could see some other Developer wanting to pick this up and finish it…Oh well, never say never!

10. blackdreamhunk

i wonder was going to be a rpg or rts?

11. back_up

it was looking like fable rip

12. Hunam

What the fuck, this looked great. Fuck.

13. onlineatron

Dead till the 2011 pirates movie?

I’d imagine Disney will use the framework from this to create the next tie in game.

Unfortunately they probably won’t build on it and the game will be bug ridden and no good.

14. Blerk

Oh, blimey. That’s not good – this actually looked like it had potential! :-|

15. Golden

wow, I was looking forward to this. The early details seemed so promising. What a day for losses

16. The_Deleted

Would have made more sense to keep at until the next PotC film and then released a decent tie in.
    Disney seem to serious about game development and this would have gone some way to making the core market aware of it’s commitment to quality. Instead, we’ll get some half assed throw away load of crap, given a year to develop and released with the next shitty film.