Thu, Aug 18, 2011 | 06:40 BST
Pitchford: Colonial Marines was “announced too soon”
Randy Pitchford has said Aliens: Colonial Marines was announced too soon by SEGA, as it was “very excited” over the project.
Speaking with NowGamer at the Duke Nukem Forever event in London last week, the Gearbox CEO said despite the “radio silence” on Colonial Marines, the studio is still “very,very committed” to the title.
“Gearbox has over 200 people and we also, at any given moment, have another 100 or 200 people outside of the studio who work with us,” he said. “Duke Nukem Forever is consuming about 70 staff, so there’s still a huge amount of push power behind our other projects.
“We’re very, very committed to Aliens: Colonial Marines and we’re very excited about that project. I know it’s been ‘radio silent’ for long and we know that must be frustrating for some people, but the game was announced too soon.
“There was so much excitement and I know a lot has changed at SEGA, but they were very excited, they did the deal with Fox and before the ink was even dry they issued a press release announcing it. At the time we hadn’t written a single line of code yet.
“It takes time to build games, but it’s going great and I’m very excited about it. It won’t be long before we break radio silence and we’re able to show it.”
Pitchford’s comments reflect those made to VG247 during PAX Prime, when Duke Nukem Forever was announced as no longer being in the can and received a rollicking re-reveal at the event
The Gearbox bossman told us he knew that when “one game gets its day in the sun” folks tend to “worry about the other games”, but there was “no need to worry at all” regarding Colonial Marines or any other title from the studio.
“Seriously, no one needs to worry about Borderlands, or the Brothers in Arms brand, or Aliens – we care about these games and what they mean to people,” he said.
Still no date on it though.