Windows Phone 7 to launch on October 21 in Europe, EA announces support with The Sims and more

Monday, 11th October 2010 16:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

windowsphone7xblintergration

Microsoft’s announced it will launch Windows Phone 7 on October 21 in Europe and on November 8 in the US.

The company announced its plans at press conferences in New York and London today, where the OS will have built-in Xbox Live support as previously announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

EA has also thrown its weight behind the platform, confirming it will release WM7 versions of The Sims, Need for Speed: Undercover and Tetris.

Microsoft’s line-up was previously detailed and shown at gamescom, with versions of Crackdown 2, Halo Waypoint and more, as well as third-party titles like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Puzzle Quest 2 and more.

There’s coverage of the events over at Engadget.

1. mathare92

Watched the New York keynote. Nothin’ rly exciting tbh.

2. Psychotext

I need to get my hands on one of these to test it out. Been looking for a new phone for a while but none of them have really impressed me.

3. 2plus2equals5

It can run xbox live games(am i wrong?), but the resolution is “only” 800×480. Does it scales the resolution of games?
    If so i want psn games playable on the psp2 :)

4. DJ Deathstar

@3 The games it runs can’t be played on 360 unless there is an actual 360 version available, its like xbla but exclusive for the phone with the games having 20 achievements for 200 points i believe

5. Michael O’Connor

Have a perfectly capable Galaxy S Android phone. Give us a legit reason to actually buy this Microsoft, and I might care.

Phail phone is phail.

6. 2plus2equals5

@4: thanks for the answer ;)

7. cookiejar

@5 Agreed. For now, my iPhone 4 will do me, especially with all the apps and games I’ve already bought for it. Im gunna give WP7 a year or so to develop, get cheaper and and see how it actually does before I think about looking at it. Xbox Live is a nice feature, but its not worth it alone.

8. absolutezero

I constantly want to smash my First Gen 3G to bits so having an excuse to completely remove iTunes and Quicktime and get rid of the thing is sounding very nice.

Need to see the handsets and have a fiddle about first but then I did that with the iphone when I first got mine and look how that turned out.

9. Hunam

All that matters is how good the app store is.

10. BlueOne

on my birthday yes!
    but im not own Microsoft

11. chipvideo

So we will get achievements with the new Win7 phone?

If so I am on.

12. Psychotext

Yeah, there’s achievements which link to your gamertag.

13. freedoms_stain

@7, WP7 is just an operating system, not an actual phone.

@11, that would be funny, probably in a Game Room-esque money squeeze.

“Buy 15 paid apps – 15G”

14. onlineatron

List of phones and UK carriers

O2
    • HTC HD7, United Kingdom, Germany

Orange
    • HTC 7 Mozart, including France, United Kingdom
    • Samsung OMNIA 7, including France, United Kingdom

Vodafone
    • HTC 7 Trophy, including Germany, Spain, United Kingdom
    • LG Optimus 7, including Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom

15. Psychotext

I’d like to know how much data is in the Orange plan… but they don’t seem to have anything online yet. =/

16. freedoms_stain

I’ve been looking at what Microsoft have to say about WP7 on the official website http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/features/default.aspx#start-screen-live-tiles

Have to say, a few of their “only phone that…” claims are a bit dubious.

“Only phone with Live Tiles”, fair enough, but they don’t seem to do anything that Android widgets don’t also do (with a lot more flexibility and functionality to boot).

“The only phone that brings your contacts and Facebook together.” Now this one is pure bullshit, I have an htc Desire, and the Sense “People” tool does everything they’re touting as unique in WP7, Facebook status updates appear under a contacts name, I can go straight to Google maps by clicking their address in their contact info, I can update multiple social network statuses simultaneously.

There’s one claim I’m happy to let them have “The only phone with Internet Explorer Mobile” Yeah, there’s a reason not to buy WP7 right there, the browser was coded by Microsoft.

It seems to me that MS have decided to go down the closed route of the iPhone. I foresee similar limits being placed on 3rd part devs that iPhone developers endure. Apps will be additional pieces of standalone software rather than integrated into the core experience.

Androids flexibility and modularity will see it continue its upward trend.

17. Psychotext

I’m not sure anyone could be quite as obsessive as apple are regarding their app store. (But I do see what you’re saying)