Pitchford: Duke Nukem Forever is “not a nostalgia game at all”

Saturday, 9th October 2010 21:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

duke3

Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford has said Duke Nukem Forever will still maintain some of what the series iconic, yet at the same time a bit if freshness has been added to it as well.

Speaking with Gamespot in London this week, the Gearbox bossman said if the studio had relied on nostalgia alone for the game, it would have just been a port and been over and done with.

However, that’s not the case here with DNF, as the development team is making it as new as possible while still maintaining the core fundamentals.

“It’s a new game, but you can’t succeed with a new game that’s something like Duke without homage or fan service to its roots,” he said. “But it is a new game, so it balances that, I think, pretty smartly with being a modern new game, but not forgetting the things that we remember, that we love, that we’re going to need to experience again–or else we’re going to be upset with it.

“You can’t imagine playing Duke Nukem Forever without using a pipe bomb, like from Duke 3D, or without using some of the classic weapons. I want to get online and play against my buddies, and I want to freeze somebody and break them into little ice cubes, and I want to shrink somebody else and step on them. I’ve got to be able to do those things or I’m going to feel like it’s not an honest successor. Then again, if it’s only a remake of the past, it’s not fresh, it’s not exciting, it’s not new, and I might get bored. So it has to be a new game first.

“If it was nostalgia, you would just port the old game and see what happens. No, it’s not a nostalgia game at all. It’s a new game. It doesn’t have 8-bit graphics. It’s a new game, it just remembers why we love the original and plays tribute to those things as well.”

While slated for 2011 without a solid release date reveal just yet, Pitchford said since those whoe purchase the GOTY edition of Borderlands get an early access demo to DNF, “you can imagine at that stage it won’t be long” before the game comes.

“We’ll announce more of those details as we’re ready”, he added.

Such a tease.

1. Isaaclarke37

It’s a brand new game which is pretty cool, i am glad it’s not a remake for the old one.
    I can’t wait to try it myself.

2. absolutezero

Well they are’nt scrapping everything and starting over again are they? That entire stadium battle was part of the leaked footage from the fallout of 3D Realms.

“Duke Nukem Forever will still maintain some of what made the series iconic”

Missed out a word Steph.

3. DSB

He obviously means it’s not the same old Duke Nukem 3D – Which pretty much goes without saying. Those games were only awesome because we hadn’t seen what we have today.

They’ve said earlier that it’s the latest DNF that was under development at 3D Realms, being completed mostly by 3D Realms people, under the roof of Gearbox Games, with some help and quality leadership and what not.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut chunks out of this one and use it for the next one though.

4. LOLshock94

w8 has gearbox said how much % the game already was because this game is gunna be so short it will probely beat terminator salvation for the shortess game ever i dont think im looking forward to this:(

5. DSB

@4 The people at 3D Realms weren’t lazy, they just had circus clowns running the show.

Gearbox have said that the material they were presented with included far too many levels to fit into a single game, many of which were left unfinished, so chances are it will be fairly meaty.

Of course they’ll have had to restrict themselves to a point where they can finish and polish the ones they choose, within a year and a half. I’m not worried.

6. LordCancer

i think it fails if its not a 15 plus hour game… you can’t bring duke back with a 5 hour quest… that’d be a bigger joke then having it killed off forever.

7. freedoms_stain