Report: Director Sam Raimi decides to start work on Disney film first instead of WoW flick

Thursday, 7th October 2010 23:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

wowwrathofthelichking11

It’s being reported Sam Raimi has decided to work on the film he has inked with Disney first, before moving on to the World of Warcraft film.

According to Deadline (via CVG), the film is Disney’s Wizard of Oz 3D prequel, Oz: The Great And Powerful, which Raimi became attached to in June. It’s being hoped Robert Downey, Jr. will star in it.

Raimi was tagged as director by Legendary Pictures, which owns the rights to a film version of World of Warcraft, and after dropping out of doing Spider-Man 4, both Legendary and Diseny were hot on his tail for each studio’s respective film.

Looks as though Raimi has made his choice, as the Oz flick is expected to start production next year.

Last we heard on the WoW film, progress was slow, but still happening.

We’ll send a mail and see if Raimi is still tied to the film or not, if it has now been put on hold, or if another director is being considered.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

Good, if he does WOW instead, he will fuck it up.

2. YoungZer0

Yeah, i can already see him screaming at the actors “Talk more about your feelings! Cry HARDER TOBY, WTF!?!”

3. DuckOfDestiny

Huh? Sam Raimi a bad director?…..

Get the fuck outta here.

4. LOLshock94

why doesnt he just say fuck u blizzard and fuck u disney and make another fucking EVIL DEAD and have a tree rape someone in the shitty oz filim

5. YoungZer0

@3: Someone didn’t see Spider-Man 3?
    Get the fuck outta here.

6. Phoenixblight

I actually enjoyed SPiderman 3 out of all the SPiderman movies. Blizzard is still sticking with Raimi btw. Legend Pictures and Blizzard are just working out the script.

7. orakaa

@5 : see n°6 ? Told you there was at least one person who enjoyed Spiderman 3, we’ve found it ! :)

Seriously, I really enjoy Sam Raimi’s movies, but Spiderman 3… oh boy… didn’t like it at all.

But I wouldn’t worry too much about its new movies : for Spiderman 3 he had been forced by the studio to take decisions he was against (he didn’t want to put Venom in the movie, etc.) and in the end wasn’t very motivated.

8. Erthazus

Someone said that spider Man 3 is awesome? Thats the first guy i met that said that.

Incredible.

9. Phoenixblight

Don’t get it twisted. I said, “I actually enjoyed SPiderman 3 out of all the SPiderman movies.” That could mean a variety of things but what I meant, I absolutely hated the first two spiderman movies and the third was better but no way was it ‘awesome’. I actually prefer Raimi’s Evil Dead films and Drag me to hell more than I liked his Spiderman flicks.

10. Isuru86

Fucking SoB, I’m waiting for this Movie for years. Whats with the Fans Mr. Rami, WHATS WITH 12 MILLION FANS !?!?!?

11. Freek

Every director gets to make atleast one bad movie without loosing credibility. Espcially if it’s a big studio movie like Spiderman 3.

12. DuckOfDestiny

Oh boo hoo, he made one bad film, after making Army of Darkness he’s allowed to get away with making at least one bad film.

13. Stephany Nunneley

@12 +10

14. Gadzooks!

Army of Darkness is indeed a classic movie, but ask yourself this: Would it still be a classic without Bruce Campbell?

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think it’s Bruce that brings out Sam’s best work.

I haven’t been particularly impressed with any Raimi work outside of Evil Dead. Drag me to hell I thought was especially cringe-worthy.