Entire Kinect manual photographed – play distances, power details, more

Tuesday, 5th October 2010 12:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kinectmanual

Did you know two people playing Kinect need to stand 8 feet from the camera? Did you know Kinect needs to be placed 2-6 feet high to work? Did you know that you don’t need a Kinect power pack if you own a 360 Slim?

You do now.

VG247 has received photographs of the entire Kinect manual, revealing final, consumer-facing information on setting up and using the motion camera.

The required play distances are confirmed in the document: “The sensor can see you when you are approximately 6 feet (2 meters) from the sensor. For two people, you should play approximately 8 feet (2.5 meters) from the sensor.”

The manual also provides height information for placing: “For the best play space and sensor performance, place your sensor between 2 and 6 feet (0.6 and 2 meters) high, the closer to the low or high limit the better.”

You’re also warned that you should “not put the sensor on your console.”

The peripheral’s manual confirms that an external power pack needs to be used unless you own a Slim.

“For Xbox 360 S consoles, power is supplied by the console. For original Xbox 360 consoles, you’ll need to connect the sensor to a standard wall outlet.”

If you own a Slim, the camera’s simply plugged into the AUX input.

Kinect comes with a software disc which needs to be installed for it to work. We’re going to assume this is included in the upcoming 360 dashboard update.

“Troubleshooting”

There’s a troubleshooting section at the back of the manual, which tells you how to fix stuff if it all goes wrong.

If the camera can’t see you, you should “turn on lights to brighten the play space,” “try wearing different colored clothing that contrasts with the background of your play space,” and “prevent lights, including sunlight, from shining directly on the sensor.”

You’re also warned to make sure the system is “well-ventilated.”

Check out the images below. There’s a page missing here which detailed how to install the software; the photo was really blurred.

Kinect launches in the US on November 4 and the UK on November 10.

1. themadjock

Such a fail. How many returns are they going to get with this. Try changing your clothes…. what if you are at someone else’s house do you have to borrow their’s!!

The move can be played in the dark the camera just needs to be able to see the coloured orb. If this takes off I will eat my hat!

2. James Mac

There’s some math issues.

6 feet is 1.8 meters.
    8 feet is 2.4 meters.

Interesting that they’ll include an extension cable for the wireless networking adaptor… but not include the tv mounting kit (especially when I’m paying $200 for it).

Also… haters gonna hate.

3. Freek

That’s just a pervy MS engeneer. ;)

“Hey, dance central’s not working properly?!”

“Oh, uh, it probably has trouble with your shirt….why don’t you take it off…”

4. typeface

I guess those whoever wrote the manual doesn’t get when to use approximately. 2metres is a little over 6feet 6 inches.

While it may seem insignificant at first it is quite significant since how far away you stand really does depend on your height and how much space you need works on that.
    Unless of course you’ve got a nice spacious living room.

I like how it says make sure you have appropriate footwear when you’re gaming (no high heels, flip flops, etc) or are barefoot.lol

5. SonyWanze

You’re also warned to make sure the system is “well-ventilated.”

loooool …. sounds like RROD xD

6. The_Deleted

Sounds far too complicated and fussy. Like a beta test kit they’ve yet to properly test.
    Not unlike the rushed 360 itself.
    I’d be very surprised if this lasted past 1 year.
    In theory it’s very exciting, in practice it’s another poorly implemented piece of hardware.

7. Razor

““try wearing different colored clothing that contrasts with the background of your play space,”

What a shambles.

8. G-Sama

I Could Finish A Whole Game While My Friend Is Reading The Manual!!!

9. back_up

360 owners will enjoy when Kinect will detect 3 legs in male and 2 legs in female lol

10. McLovin85

@8 Do you really want to be finishing any Kinect game anyway?

11. frostquake

Not enough room in my Man Cave..Plus I keep it dark, and my floor is littered with games, controllers, cables, food items, books, music, gaming mags, Blu-Ray Disks. I mean it is the one place I can live like a man, a messy man. If your Man Cave isn’t messy, then it isn’t a Man Cave.

Kinect your way too demanding! I think we should see other peripherals, It is not you it is me, I mean, there are plenty of electronic fish in the sea, and some lucky guy will snatch you up, and you two will be very happy! I will always cherish our brief moment together, but it is time we move on to others. I wish you the best of luck. ;)

12. Blerk

I have the room, but… where the hell am I supposed to put the sensor? I’m guessing it won’t balance on top of a wafer-thin LCD telly. Unless it has a clamp. :-D

13. onlineatron

Here was my thought process at the EG Expo.

‘Kinect looks cool, i’ll try it out’

‘Huh, this queue is quite long…’

‘Huh, Kinect Adventures looks a bit janky’

‘Huh, I’m not sure if I want to wait now’

‘This looks wank’ *leaves.

THAT HAPPENED TO ME TWICE!

14. DrDamn

Do you have your TV wall mounted? If not then someone will sell you a very expensive shelf thing which attaches on to standard VESA wall mount holes in the back of the TV and gives you somewhere to put Kinect. :)

15. Blerk

A very expensive ‘shelf’, you say? Just what I always wanted. :-D

I’d never actually considered where it would ‘go’. Our Wii sensor bar is under the telly, but that’s very narrow and can fit in fine – there’s no way the Kinect sensor could ever go there.

Which leaves me with…. having to fit a shelf. Microsoft should bundle a shelf!

16. Kuwabara

piece of shit. why dnt u all go and buy a ps3 instead. see this is the difference between sony and micosoft. ps3 has innovation in hardware, graphics, its unique titles and exclusives, it got move right, and next is 3d, and an strong first part studio. As for microsoft, no innovation what so ever, kinnect is broken, has no unique/innovative titles, weak first party studio, bad hardware failure rate, etcc. what has xbox brought tot the table, facebook, twitter, party chat. look at the future, ps3 has a bright amazing years ahead in gaming tech and exclusives, alongside move and 3d, while xbox 360 will flop hard, limited exclusives, kinect isnt gonna work, more live fees, and more social media crap.I really feel bad for xbox 360. i wonder how many sheep they’re gonna lure with this kinnect. I wish people would open their eyes up.

17. EscoBlades

@16: Rabid fanboy much?

18. Kuwabara

” escoblades” are u but hurt cause i’m telling the truth. Can’t u see for your self that it makes sense, or don’t u understand english. Tell me what i said that’s wrong.

19. Massiveslag

I dunno Kuwabara, your attempt at English is pretty bad. Perhaps that’s the reason you’re not making yourself clear? You could work on that and your fanboyism in one easy class I’m running. It’s called; “The Xbox will never do 3D 101″.

It’s like, packed with irony, and we serve humble pie for lunch every day.

20. Gadzooks!

Trolling retard.

21. OlderGamer

On the other hand, the PS3 Move I picked up is pretty cool and fun to play.

22. Eregol

You’re points are all moot until you can talk from both sides.
    No one’s going to take you seriously if you praise one machine and diss the other unless you can pro-actively praise and diss both machines.
    Both have their good and bad points, same with Move and Kinect.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Kinect will support 4 people on games optimised for it?
    If that’s the case, then £120-£130 is good value for 4 players, especially if the product works (not from what I played at EGE)
    For 4 Move players, the price is considerably more, hell, I played table tennis with a mate at EGE and making sure we stay in the camera’s FoV made playing it feel quite cramped, and I didn’t feel I had a full range of movement as a result.

23. itsucks

Kú_wabutthurtbara loves is pieceofshit3 to death = ) Shitlover <3

24. OlderGamer

Huh! Your right Eregol, about the price I mean. With move you have buy the wands and a side kick controler thingie. Then buy another set for each person that wants to play. Thats a serious investment if you look at it that way.

With Kinect, one purchase and your done, and everyone can play.

Right now I only have one wand for move(I had the cam from Eye of Judgement). It was cheap to get started. In the long run, even if I just buy enough for my wife to be able to play with me co-op, it is gonna be in the same ball park at Kinect.

Price-wise.

Not your point, I understand that – but, with Move we saw/demo’d games we like. Nothing at this point, looks good on Kinect. Just saying that is what moved us(no pun inteneded) towards Move over Kinect.

25. cookiejar

@21 Agreed. Pleased with that little baby myself.

26. DrDamn

@Eregol
    “For 4 Move players, the price is considerably more”

How so? It’s a very similar figure. Bear in mind you only ever need 4 wands.

27. JPickford

Kinect only supports two players. There are no 4 player (at the same time) games for it.

28. Kuwabara

eregol” what is there to diss about the direction where ps3 is headed!? i can’t find a damm single fault of the ps3. It has the reliable hardware, the blu ray, the exclusives, the broad range of unique titles, not just a heavy focus on shooters. A motion controller that works, and a interest in 3d gaming, and a future of exclusives that outweigh xbox 360 of a 5:1 ratio. Oh and they’re not forcing anyone to pay to play online. But in my eyes the xbox is a joke. I can’t believe there are people here defending kinnect when it isn’t going to work! Can’t u imagine how many complaints people will make cause of kinnect. You are dreaming if u think you will be able to have 4 people in the room playing kinnect without any headaches.

29. Blerk

I think I’m getting a headache already, actually.

30. Eregol

Kinect supposedly comes with a game right?
    4 wands at £34.99 each (full retail price we’re talking here)
    1 camera at £24.99
    1 game at £29.99

That’s £194.94. More than £60 more than Kinect.

And Didn’t MS demo the river rapid game from Kinect adventures with 4 players?

By the way, I do not own a 360. Just a PS3, and I have 2 Move wands.
    Your Move.
    (Excuse the pun)

31. Dralen

Wow, so you basically have to have a pretty big telly for this to be worth it and a pretty big room as well.

32. spiderLAW

MS demonstrated a lot of things for Kinect that are not going to be included in the release build. I consider 4-players as part of that exclusion for now.

I dont think Kinect is as bad as some here are making it sound and i do have interest in it but i will wait and see what exaclty it has to offer after launch just like i am still doing with Move.

33. EscoBlades

@28: Seriously…just shut up while you still can. Do you own both consoles? No? Then take it from people like myself who do own both…you are talking crap.

Its a shame there always has to be one retard with an IQ barely reaching 5 who ruins a good debate.

34. Eregol

I had a go at Kinect, and it’s as bad as I thought it would be.
    It could be so much better, but I doubt it will be without a few software revisions.
    I also expect a serious hardware overhaul when they release Mk2.

35. DrDamn

Why RRP? Why not how much it’s actually going to cost you? Seems the wiggle room with Kinect is currently quite small so it costs about £125. Move starter pack + 3 wands = about £130. You might want to include a game but it’s one you might actually want rather than one determined by the bundle. So as I said overall similar.

36. Kuwabara

“escoblades” i dnt need to own both consoles! my cousin has a xbox 360, ive played the best of the best on that system, ive seen xbox live, arcade, played gears 2, odst online, so i already know what the xbox 360 is like. About ur class , lol, it would fail. Microsoft hasn’t backed up 3d at all, but surprisingly a third party has. Even if at one stage 3d becomes part of xbox, it doesn’t take away the other more important facts i stated. kinnect will fail, it will be a massive waste of time, and anyone who thinks it has potential is an idiot. look at the future for xbox, where are the exclusives!! what is there besides gears of war 3? atleast with the wii, its about compelling games, with xbox 360, its being turned into a media integration box, ripping off more people, and less focus on unique exclusives.

37. OlderGamer

In the states the Move bundle is 100usd, it includes one wand, one cam, and Sports Champ. I would assume you folks across the pond have a similar bundle/price point.

To play Move 2 players, you need another wand. Thats 150usd in all.

To play Kinect 2 players, its 150usd. But does Kinect come with a full game?

I mean really either way not terribly much different. Both are over priced for impulse/casual/holiday buyers to be honest.

38. stretch215

Please don’t feed the troll. Maybe it’ll just go away :p

39. stretch215

Also, a game like fight night would be AWESOME on kinect

40. Kuwabara

yes stretch, fighting with no controller to feel the weight and vibrations/feedback of a punch. youll be standing up looking like a fukn moron. the whole point of a controller is that it simplifies everything to make the game play experience hassle free. It’s a gimik that you’ll get over after 10 minutes of punching.

41. freedoms_stain

@37, on Amazon the Move bundle (cam plus 1 want + demo cd) is £39.99 (rrp £49.99) extra Move wand is £29.99 (rrp £34.99)

Kinect: £120.91 (rrp £129.99) for 2 players.

Move: £70 (rrp £85) for 2 players.

You can throw in 2 navigation controllers and still pay £15 less than Kinect.

42. mathare92

This thread sorely needs some TEA :(

Kuwabarara just doesn’t fit the bill…

43. Holesome

@Kuwabara,

Actually if you are going to look like a, how’d you put it, “fukn moron” then you will look like one with Move and Kinect as you are both standing and moving around, especially in a boxing game. Perhaps the people who look like morons will always look that way and should just stay away from all motion control solutions. Maybe gaining some experience with them will help them work out the personal social kinks. “Kinect, the looking like a ‘fukn moron’ fixer-upper!”

Feeling the weight of the controllers in your hands? Are you serious? I don’t think the Move controllers weight very much at all and if it feels heavy to you then you really are in a sad state. And as for vibrations, I think we can all adapt to other sensory input as a replacement to vibrations unless you are one who just can’t adapt at all.

If Kinect is a gimmic then you’ll be over Move in the same amount of time.

44. lexph3re

Ok guys let’s be reasonable here from what. Is read from the article. First, no one here is a english or grammar teacher and if you are seperate your work from play. Because, were not putting up presentations for the office. How I spell what doesn’t change wat your mind registers. Second, kuwabarra isn’t trolling he has an overbearing opinion. Slightly unorganised but still an opinion. Now to the topic there are pros and cons for both these ATTACHMENTS.

Ps move pros and cons
    Starter bundle comes at 100usd (camera wand game) the wand like the wii mote can be used for multiple people but not direct multiplayer, a second wand is need that takes us to 150 usd. Any additional wands can cost more but only if needed.

Ms Kinect pros and cons
    It comes with a ton of social networking apps for 150usd. In order for it to work though you need xbox live 60at the moment. That’s 210usd, theoretically it can support up to 4 people. But 2 seems to be the standard. There have been no real game integrations labeled at this time such as GoW3(gears of wars to the slightly impaired) or halo or fable. Only games designed like wii ware games have been shown.

Now, I only own a ps3 but about half of my friends own a 360 and another half own the ps3. And half of my entire friends own both. To me anyone who owns more then one system are not being financially conscience because games running at 60usd on both consoles and majority of must have games being multi-platform negates your justification in buying 2 or 3 systems. Especially with all the accessories coming out its unbelievable to justify. Buying both.or all that’s rent car payments and or traveling expenses.

From. Listed manual above there are a lot of restrictions on kinect that are ridiculous. Change my clothes to play? Wear tennis shoes only? What about my boots? Need a wall mount attachment if I don’t have xbox 360s? 2-6feet in height to register correctly? 6-8feet away? It is all pretty silly to play games where my friend may accidently punch me in the eye or all they have to do is push me out of the camera to beat me in wii like games.

45. Eregol

For the record, the UK Move starter pack doesn’t include a game.
    Just a demo disk.

46. Callum

Not one single hot chick danced on kinect at euro expo. It was just blokes…who couldn’t dance.

I reckon a pole dancing game would make Kinect, if they bundled it with a dancer & a pole.

47. Kuwabara

Go ahead and tell me where im wrong with what i stated, if you think im a fanboy! And to further add to what i said about the direction of xbox 360, CEO Ballmer called kinect “the next generation of xbox” LOL. If i was a xbox gamer i’d be ashamed right now. See i was right. Kinnect is the future of xbox. If only they’d get their head around to what gaming is really about, and focus on developing a strong first party line up, and other exclusives.

48. crashkiwi

Well Kuwabara if sony is developing a string first party line up i would say ms has a couple more years to push out bleeding edge apps ( circa GT5 fashion)

i don`t know about being ashamed as a gamer

i am not a Wii fan
    but they sure have made a strong resurgence form the gamecube era from hardware that seemed obselete ( on paper at least) on launch…

i own an xbox s
    me friends own PS3 ‘s
    from all my friends polled all of them said the single determining factor that made them get a ps3 over a xbox was blu ray support
    with increased bandwidth streaming services ….. ya de ya de yah ( we all know this conversation) it seems the importance of distibuted media has reached is pinnacle and is in rapid decline

i look foward to some sort of boxing game for kinnect ( i am still on the fence it looks like it could be fun )
    and i agree wth the comments above based on euro expo showings move will win outright because of PR wenches / booth babes

all we get in new zealand is streaming Propaganda from both sony and MS camps
    i want a hands on demo…

49. Firebat

I will def be buying this as I already have Move… But as far as my man cave… its a no go I guess with a projector behind me and plus I would have to mount the unit at approx 8′ and point it down a little… But if not… I will just move it upstairs… May just sell the Wii, as this may just render it obsolete…at least in my household…