Win the chance to play Duke Nukem Forever in London this Thursday! [Update]

Monday, 4th October 2010 14:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dnf

Update: “Right. The winners are:

DuckOfDestiny
Fin
onlineatron
Callum
El_MUERkO

I need you to email me you name and give me a mobile number ASAP. My email address is patrick [at] vg247.com.

To recap: you’re going to need to be in central London on Thursday at 2.30pm. If you can’t do it say so, and I’ll pick someone else.”

Original: It’s about damn time. Wait. That’s the other one.

2K’s given us five slots for a demo and play of Duke Nukem Forever at the shooter’s UK premiere this Thursday, October 7.

To be able to claim this prize you must be over 18 and able to provide your own transportation to London.

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford’s going to be taking you through the game at 2.30pm BST, so you’ll need to be there on time.

The demo’s at a “central London location”. We’ll tell you exactly where if you win. 2K doesn’t want to be fighting off Duke-loving mentalists on the day, so the location’s being kept a secret for now.

And yes, you’ll be able to play it. You may even be able to piss in its urinal.

Steph attended the game’s PAX reveal last month, interviewing Randy and getting a play along the way.

How do you win? Duke Nukem Forever was first announced on April 28, 1997. Tell us what you were doing at the time. The “best” one wins.

Good luck!

1. Ghost_Dog

I was in a strip club. Where else would I be?

2. Patrick Garratt

I may have said this is happening on Friday. It’s not. It’s Thursday. This is my fault.

3. El_MUERkO

4. El_MUERkO

I have no fucking idea, but I was in college so I was probably drunk/hungover, sitting in the canteen discussing/quoting The Simpsons endlessly while counting pennies to see if I could afford to go raving (Tuesdays at The Kitchen night club, Techno, £1 vodka, £1 red bull).

5. Johnny Cullen

@El – :D

6. elronathon

I was making a level of dubious quality for Duke3D in the Build editor that had no upstairs areas because I could never figure out how to get that to work. I was 13

7. Massiveslag

Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods Batman! 1997? Blimey, well I would have been working on Syndicate Wars at Bullfrog at the time, and I think Pete was telling us all that he wanted to create the greatest RPG of all time. A couple of months later he fucked off to start Lionhead. What a cunt.

8. cYn

Ripping off heads and shitting down necks.

9. Massiveslag

Nah. I’m kidding, love you Pete. ;)

10. freedoms_stain

Man, I was only 11 at that point, close to the end of primary school.

I don’t want the prize, just thought I’d share.

@7, at what point did the dream get sidelined and Fable made instead? :p

11. ratchetG

Celebrating my 10th birthday by kicking ass and chewing bubble gum, but I was all out of gum so I had a groovy time instead, wanna dance?

12. RETARDED VIKING

DUDE i was wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too busy playing the living holy fuck outta Castlevania SOTN to even care about ANYTHING!

13. Massiveslag

@10 About the same time that he tired of working with EA. :D

I can’t knock the guy; Bullfrog was just a great studio, with so many talented people working there. You’ll generally find the BF influence all over the games industry, so to be honest we’ve got a lot to thank Mr Molyneux for. Admittedly, he does love a soundbite or nine, but the industry owes him a lot, and you’ll be hard pressed to find another guy with as much passion for what he does.

Oh, and I like Fable, honestly guv’ner I really do. ;)

14. T_L_T

I was working in Game at the time… Was probably shrink wrapping, but like to think I was taking a preorder for Daikatana.

15. Windsmeare

In 1997 I was providing protection to a model toy railway that was being used to smuggle marijuana over the U.S border into Canada. I would have to fight bears, bees, woodland rednecks with that “Deliverance” look in their eyes and crazy ass Squirrels that were looking for their next fix. But alas, during the last stretch of run, I decided to try this so called “Super Weed”. They found me naked 3 weeks later at a traffic lights in Tel Aviv shouting everytime the light changed “I am Moses, Israelis, you may now walk!” and complaining to the Tel Aviv authorites that Spongebob Square pants was going to colonize my body if I slept. It was a dark time.

16. freedoms_stain

You must mean 3 years later cus Spongebob wasn’t about in 97.

17. Massiveslag

@16 Yeah, because that’s the only fatal flaw in his story!

18. Windsmeare

Lol i was seeing into the future. Swear.

19. freedoms_stain

The rest is unlikely but feasible :p

20. Yoshi

I was making a bet with a friend that it would be about 10 years before Duke Nukem Forever would be released. True story XD Unfortunately I never got that pound :(

21. Fin

I was reading VG247 on a fax machine. Every few minutes I’d hit the “reload” button, wait 4:50 for the page to be printed, spend ten seconds reading it, then hitting reload.
    Whenever you wanted to comment, you’d have to fax your comment with a cover letter, but that’d mean another five minutes, so you’d miss your reload window.

Those were the days I tell ya!

I imagine I was actually in primary school, giddy with anticipation of going over to my friend’s house to play Duke Nuken 3D with the adult filter OFF. Boobies, oh yeah.

Little did I know I’d finish primary school, secondary school, university, a master’s degree, and be working in the industry before Duke Nukem Forever arrived.
    Course, I may have been working in the industry ten years, worked for three different companies, started my own company and made a game (“Farmville….2″) that means I never have to work again, by the time it actually releases.

Edit: forgot to mention that if you wanted to “link” something in your comment, you had to put the content on a floppy disk, mail it to VG247, who would then make copies and mail it out to everyone who commented.

Oh yeah, those were the days!

22. DuckOfDestiny

Wanking.

23. onlineatron

I was attempting to hang a clock in my bathroom by standing on the edge of my toilet seat, it was wet so I slipped and hit my head.

The blow to the head gave me a vision, a revelation, a picture… a picture in my head… The key to time travel, the flux capacitor!

I knew what I had to do.

Over the next few years I used this image as a blueprint to create a TIME MACHINE!

Finally, on this day, the 4th October 2010, a date that will be remembered for centuries to come, I Christopher Newby have finished… I have perfected my vision.

For it’s maiden voyage I transported my dog one minute into the future.

Once the winner of this competition is announced, I will travel back in time to today and post the winning answer so I can spend some quality time with the Duke.

I’ve won, there is no point trying any more, I control time, you control nothing!

24. Callum

I was 8 years old, and I refused to stop talking like a martian from “Mars Attacks!” Me and my friends actually had entire conversations in that language.

Good times.

25. Helliii505

I was using the urinal and trying to write FOREVER with my piss. :D

26. Yoshi

Haha +1 for onlineatron and Fin XD

27. Serpream

I was pretty p***ed off at my I.T teacher about being removed from the class due to i was able to bypass his security in order to fix an issue with my ability to run Duke/Doom over the network for LAN during lunchtimes. I got alot of bad marks for that i still to this day think i should of got a automatic pass for showing the flaw in thier system…

28. The_Deleted

Is it a coincidence that DNF can also mean Did Not Finish…

29. Patrick Garratt

Right. The winners are:

DuckOfDestiny
    Fin
    onlineatron
    Callum
    El_MUERkO

30. Blerk

Rah! Well done, guys!

You should use the time machine to take DNF back to 1997, onlineatron. :-D

31. evilandy

well done to the winners

32. ratchetG

Congrats to the winners but what was the thinking behind letting DuckOfDestiny win, if you don’t mind me asking?

33. xino

WTF man!?
    why wasn’t I informed with this farking event competition?

34. Soong

@xino: you snooze, you lose

Try and pay attention next time :lol:

35. elronathon

Aw nuts I really wanted to go to this. I suppose I should of gone with my original idea for a post:

“penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis”

36. Patrick Garratt

@35 – You still might. No one’s emailed me yet.

37. DuckOfDestiny

Holy fuck yes, I Won!

@ratchetG

Jealous much? Ok it was a little rude, but the Duke couldn’t give a crap.

38. xino

1997…i was giving a baby

39. Fin

WINNNNNNNER GET!

40. El_MUERkO

I won, go me!!!

Email away!

41. Callum

Lol, what a strange day this is turning into. Emailing you now pat, sorry about the deley!

42. Callum

p.s I’m expecting free shit btw. I mean T shirts, key rings, mugs, photos with a life size Duke etc,

43. AHA-Lambda

congrats guys i wanna hear some impressions tho! ;)

44. ratchetG

So that’s everyone but onlineatron has posted again here since the winners list posted someone make sure he knows he/she has won :)

45. onlineatron

WAIT, WHAT?!

I WON!!!

BU-BU-BUT…. But I never win anything, and I didn’t check the post

FUCK MY LIFE :’(

46. DSB

Owned. Fail. Etcetera.

47. onlineatron

Don’t matta, I h8 this shit game anywayz, 12 years for nuttin if u ask me, gaygame is stupid innit.