PS3 becoming less dominant as Blu-ray player

Monday, 4th October 2010 13:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps3slim2

PS3 is losing its mojo as the most popular Blu-ray player on the market in the US, according to Home Media Magazine.

The report says 47 percent of people watch Blu-rays on their PS3, although 45 percent now watch via standalone players.

PS3 had a two-to-one advantage over standalone Blu-ray players only six months ago.

The report also says 1.7 million Blu-ray owners both have a PS3 and a standalone player in their house, with it adding for any other Blu-ray player to grow, it must move past PS3.

Thanks, D’Toid.

1. Suikoden Fan

well until those standalone players start playing ps3 games then this isn’t even worth thinking about

2. Erthazus

Because in the past it was the best Blu Ray player avalable. Now? Not.

But after http://www.gadgetsbegift.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Sony-BDP-CX7000ES-Blu-ray-disc-player1.jpg this sucker for example that is also from SONY. If i wanted to buy Blu Ray player. I would definitely pass on PS3 and take this.

+ the price. If they will drop the price, everything will be in it’s place again. Because standard Blu RAy players cost 100 EUR+

3. cookiejar

Hmm, a £100 BD player starts to outsell a £250 games console. Shocker! ;)

4. Blerk

They’re practically giving standalone players away now, they had them for £60 in Asda the other week.

What are the other 8% of people watching their Blu-Rays on? :-D

5. perk1n

on their xbox

6. Harry

@Blerk

PC/Mac

7. Blerk

Eww!

8. Happy Hardon Harry

Bought a BluRay-RW drive for my PC at £80. Therefore it makes the PS3 instantly redundant.

9. cookiejar

@8 Sell it then!

10. Happy Hardon Harry

I did, ages ago!

11. jeremycafe

I use both my ps3 and a standalone player. Got sick of moving the PS3 upstairs every time I wanted to watch movies outside of my living room.

The standalone samsung player has wireless built in with over the internet updates, built in pandora, netflix. Since my PS3 is for movie playing only, I would also get a standalone if I had to purchase a new one.

12. Crysis

same thing happened with DVD players & the ps2, this shouldn’t surprise anyone, sure the PS3 was the most efficient choice when released, same price as any new Blu Ray player with the benefit of playing games, but when they start to become 1/3rd of the price, there shouldn’t be any surprises that the PS3 is becoming redundant to purchase JUST for Blu Rays, but i’m lower middle class so i don’t even have a HD tv yet! only a sep top box, but i’m looking at getting a 32″ Sony Bravia, screw plasma-looks shit, would rather a chuncky glass screen tv at a lower res than a damned plasma.

13. Kuwabara

Hey HHH, when disc free netflix comes to ps3, my xbox 360 will be rendundant. i will sell this social media device of a machine to anyone here for $50 who ever is interested