Capcom expects MvC3 to outsell Street Fighter IV due to familiar Marvel characters

Saturday, 2nd October 2010 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mvc3

Capcom’s Christian Svensson has said he expects Marvel vs Capcom 3 to see better sales than Street Fighter IV.

Speaking with EventHubs, Svensson believes the game will sell better due to Marvel’s more recognizable characters and the game’s “accessible but still deep fighting system that’s fun for casual players and EVO attendees.”

‘It’s only helped by the fact that it has been by far, our most requested sequel title in my tenure here at Capcom,” he said. “And we’ll be supporting it with marketing at least as aggressive if not more so than we did with Street Fighter IV to ensure everyone knows that it’s coming.

“All of these factors lead me to believe that it will be at least as successful as SF4 from a sales perspective.”

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds is slated for spring 2011 on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. SplatteredHouse

At least as successful as SFIV is quite an expectation for this, I think. I think it’ll come down to where, and how it’s advertised, to determine whether it’ll reach that sort of scale.

2. RomaTotti10

The installed base will have grown so there are more potential consumers. I think the numbers will be close but I don’t think it will do as well as SF IV. The release of Mortel Kombat rebirth will also affect sales. Anyway I will be buying it, so maybe I’m wrong.

3. Callum

I was gonna mention the MK series, have they not got a film comming out aswell? That would generate a bit of hype for that particular brand of fighitng game.

I think SFIV did a fantastic job of appealing to a much larger audience that its predecessors, I for one enjoyed renting it and I hate fighting games.

Will be interesting to watch!

4. DarkElfa

What?! No PC?! Why did we get stuck with SF4 but we don’t get MvsC3?

5. Michael O’Connor

@4 The rampant pirating of Street Fighter IV on the PC is exactly why we’re not getting Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the format.

6. freedoms_stain

@5, I’ll buy that excuse when someone can conclusively prove that piracy harms sales.

There’s a fairly large body of evidence that suggests the opposite while pretty much every attempt at proving the assumption has been marred by poor data collection and even poorer analysis.

7. Michael O’Connor

@5 I think Capcom can track these figures safely enough. They’re simply not going to release a game on a format if it’s not going to be profitable.

Why the hell would they lie about it? Jesus Christ, does everyone have to make a conspiracy theory out of *everything*?

8. spiderLAW

Did he answer that question for you yet?

9. DarkElfa

Maybe its piracy, maybe it just didn’t sell because nobody makes fighters for the PC because they never sell.

10. Michael O’Connor

@8 What question?

11. Neolucifer

the DC license allowed a mediocre mk episode , to sell over a million … there’s very little doubt imo , that the marvel one would help actually good mvc 3 outsell sf4.

12. spiderLAW

Mike
    ” ‘Jesus Christ’, does everyone have to make a conspiracy theory out of *everything*?”

13. varsas

@6: What body of evidence?

As for the article, does anyone know how well the previous Marvel fighting games from Capcom sold? There hasn’t been one for a long time but I remember them being very popular; Marvel Super Heroes is probably still my favourite one.