Don Mattrick promoted to president of Interactive Entertainment at Microsoft

Friday, 1st October 2010 18:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mattrick

Microsoft’s announced Don Mattrick as the new president of its Interactive Entertainment group.

The exec was previously senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment at the company, looking after the Xbox brand at the time before Robbie Bach announced he’d be leaving his role as head of MS’s Entertainment and Device’s group.

That seen Mattrick resume responsibility for PC and mobile interactive entertainment.

Mattrick, who has been presenting Microsoft’s E3 presentations since 2008, was previously the head of EA’s Worldwide group, and was also a designer on the original Test Drive.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Herlock

2. Erthazus

So this is it. The end of PC gaming.

3. AHA-Lambda

oh god not that prick

gears 3 will be the last 360 exclusive evars calling it now ;)

4. DSB

GFWL is so fucking annoying. I’d love to buy a game like Dead Rising 2, and I might even buy Dawn of War II on sale, but with an intrusive DRM system, that is only gonna take away value from what you buy, you just don’t really want to go there.

What’s the point? It’s not stopping a single pirate, it’s just stopping paying customers.

5. Stephany Nunneley

I don’t think I play any games with GFWL. I’ll have to check, but I don’t recall any.

6. DSB

I bought Red Faction Guerilla, completely oblivious to the fact that it came with GFWL.

There’s no save feature until you log in, and if there was a warning saying as much, I missed it. That made me lose a few hours of gameplay.

Thank fuck I got it on sale and it was only a buck or two. Never again.

7. AHA-Lambda

oh god i cant stand GFWL either D:

not only is it shit but its also basically drm aswell *shakes head*

8. Psychotext

What’s this guy got to do with GFWL? He had nothing to do with the PC related department when it was implemented.

9. Moonwalker1982

What is GFWL anyway?

10. DSB

@8 Of course not, but it deserves to be said in my oppinion. GFWL and Ubisoft Online Services Platform should never be allowed to succeed.

He’s gonna be the head of games at Microsoft, he should stop the madness.

The only thing draconian DRM achieves is motivating pirates, giving them a real reason to fight, and scaring away customers who want a better experience than that.

@9 Games for Windows Live. It’s Microsofts pendant to Ubisofts DRM on PC.

11. Psychotext

I see.

12. loki

Very bad start, we don’t need mediocre and PC ports. Fail

13. James Mac

I’m assuming that everyone who bitched about GFWL and Ubisoft DRM is perfectly happy with Steam…

14. Kuwabara

the biggest douchebag in the games industry. No wonder why xbox 360 has no exclusives nxt year, except for gears, lol.

15. DSB

@13 The only problem I’ve ever encountered with Steam is server stress related. Their shit works, Microsofts and Ubisofts doesn’t.

16. Michael O’Connor

Hey, at least it’s not Kudo Tsunoda, right?