Ron Gilbert joins Double Fine

Monday, 27th September 2010 18:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

double fine

Deathspank designer Ron Gilbert has joined old friend Tim Schafer at Double Fine Studios, he’s confirmed to Kotaku.

Schafer and Gilbert were together at LucasArts while co-designing The Secret of Monkey Island along with Dave Grossman.

Gilbert, who left Hothead Games earlier this April, was asked to join the developer after working on his own stuff outside of Double Fine while at the studio, admitting he didn’t like working from home.

“I’m really horrible working at home because all I do is other things rather than work,” he said.

“Being able to come into an office and be surrounded by other people helps.”

“For the last couple of months Tim has been loaning me his desk here, as he has in the past,” he added.

“We have just been talking about different ideas I’ve had for games, kinda going back and forth like we do, and then Tim suggested, ‘Hey why don’t you come here and build this thing.”

Gilbert’s new game at DF will be an entirely new concept.

There’s more through the link.

Double Fine’s currently working on Costume Quest for a release next month for PSN and XBLA.

1. The_Red

Fuck Kotick.
    Love Schafer and Gilbert.

2. Michael O’Connor

Now we just need to get Dave Grossman over to Double Fine as well, and all will be right with the world again.

3. DSB

Based on Grossmans work at Telltalle, I’d prefer it if he stayed there.

Good news for sure, but let’s see how long Gilbert stays, he’s a bit of a mercenary.

4. Michael O’Connor

@3 “Based on Grossmans work at Telltalle, I’d prefer it if he stayed there.”

Ouch.

5. DJ Deathstar

Costume Quest is due for release this year, its Double Fine’s second digital adventure game scheduled for next year

6. Johnny Cullen

Bah. It’s due out at the end of next month. Got my wires crossed.

7. DSB

@4 *SLAP!* to the Grossman – Really though, are you satisfied with the writing of the nouveau-Lucas Arts games?

I don’t think I’ve chuckled more than once or twice through any of the episodes I’ve played, and that’s pretty bad for any adventure game.

And what’s up with the graphics? I’ll take Scumm over that any day.

8. Michael O’Connor

@7 Stop crushing my childhood nostalgia! ;____;

9. DSB

:D

10. RETARDED VIKING

So cruel….

11. Blerk

Can’t wait to see what these guys come up with!