Another source confirms Activision’s take-over of NASCAR license

Saturday, 25th September 2010 17:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

nascarmouth

Looks like rumors surrounding a deal between Activision and NASCAR on a new racing game have taken one step closer to a full confirmation.

According to insiders close to Gamasutra, the source confirmed Activision’s to take over the NASCAR license formerly held by EA, with NASCAR 11 releasing sometime before the Daytona 500 is held next year in February.

Gama’s sources confirmed Eutechnix will be the developer behind the title.

Earlier this week, an anonymous post on EA Sports’ forums claimed “an inside source from NASCAR” had leaked the news.

Rumors Activision was getting the NASACR license have circulated the net since the company hired ex-EA Sports exec Ed Martin in March this year.

Martin headed up EA’s NASCAR development team for four years.

Sounds like a reveal should be announced soon then, especially if you’ve been keeping up with Eutechnix producer Dave Thomas’ tweets.

We’ll let you know if we hear anything else.

1. DSB

I really wouldn’t open my mouth that wide if I was a hot chick at a NASCAR event.

I wish something would happen at EA Sports, though. They’ve lost the plot completely on pretty much everything, except Fifa. And I hate Fifa.

2. metamorphic

Like it matters. They’re never going to match what GT5 will do with Nascar, anyway. It’ll be like news from the last century.

3. Gekidami

What exactly is in NASCAR games? I dont know much about the motor sport but from what i’ve heard its about cars identical to each other in all but colour going around a track which is always the same shape. I just dont see the content in that, it makes more sense that it would be amongst other racing things like it is in GT5.

4. PwnedHaxor

@3 LOL !

5. Gekidami

Am i wrong? Like i said, i dont know much about it. From what i’ve heard its about the drivers skill and strategy and how they manage their fuel consumption and the like. And not about who has the most powerful car, because they’re all the same.

6. LOLshock94

shes fitttttttttt

7. Tondar20

activision and NASCAR :D ridiculous

8. Stephany Nunneley

@1 – :D

9. Erthazus

@5 I like NASCAR a lot, even if i’m from Europe. The thing is there is something about these big cars. They are not the same but it feels like they have a lot of weight and power behind them and it is really cool to see how they smash each other.
    I really want decent NASCAR game. Basically my first priority in GT5 will be NASCAR. I really want to try it.

@DSB, troll harder. Latest NHL and Fight Night Round are great.

10. hitnrun

@3 You know…that’s actually a really good point lol. Certainly there’s modifications in NASCAR (I don’t watch it but I hear about fines being handed out all the time for illegal mods on sports channels), but it’s all nibbling at the edges.

You’d think they could use that as a selling point, “the car game that doesn’t require hundreds of hours of min/maxing,” but I think that would cost more sales than it would gain, given the audience for racing games not named Mario Kart.

11. RETARDED VIKING

aaaaaaaand we’re taking a left turn……

12. OlderGamer

Sometimes you Euros can be funny.

American racing is awesome. Stock Car racing is awesome.

But Nascar is the soap opera of auto racing. Full of divas. If you want to even try to capture the concept or feel of why millions of US fans pack themselfs in to tiny tracks and watch cars go in circles, go watch World Of Outlaws. Go watch local small town tracks. Dirt tracks. Watch the Big Block Modifieds thro themself into the corner four wide, sideways, on three wheels.

From a man that has spent 14 years behind the wheel, I can tell you there is nothing on this earth like it. As a video gamer some of the stuff you watch, make better games. F1, Cart, WTC, Rally … I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch an event. But in a game they can be fun.

As far as Nascar goes, I haven’t played a version yet that I liked, tho Dirt to Daytona wasn’t too bad. Way too much focus gets paid to whos driving for what team, with what sponser, and harder then hell car controls. Big tracks, where drafting and pit strategies impact the races outcome more then anything else. Not very much fun in a video game.

Go play Dirt Track Racing 2 for the PC, damn good game. Just about anything made by Ratbag is gonna capture what I am talking about.

13. DSB

@9 That’s probably the stupidest comment I’ve seen you do yet. I’m guessing you haven’t played any of them.

Fight Night Round 3 blows Fight Night Round 4 away without even trying, not least because EA fucked up the training, customization and fight planning system, and NHL 11 is basically NHL 10 without any of the broken features fixed, most importantly catchup logic, which people have been campaigning against since NHL 9 or 8.

Just check out the forums, they’re full of people trying to make them aware of this stuff. I know you’re a cocksucking EA fanboy who cries troll every time someone challenges your warped little world, but everybody who actually plays these games, are aware of these things.

NFL, which used to sell 10 million copies per iteration, is getting pumped full of tasteless product placement, selling half of what they used to, and going further away from what people really want to play. I got off that train a few iterations ago, it’s just not fun anymore.

I’ve played these games for more than a decade, but as usual – clearly – you have no idea what you’re talking about.