Microsoft and Sky announce full Kinect integration for Sky Player

Friday, 24th September 2010 18:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

skylogo

Sky and Microsoft announced today full Kinect integration with the Sky Player on Xbox 360.

It will be controllable with gestures of your hand or using your voice,  and Sky Player subscribers will be able to quickly access up to 32 live TV channels and over 100 on demand programs including: movies, sports and a wide range of TV shows.

“Selecting a favourite show, changing live channels, or easily scrolling forward and back through on-demand content is all made possible by a simple wave of a hand,” said the press release.

Kinect for Sky Player on Xbox 360 will also let viewers control TV with their voice to pause, fast forward, rewind and play content.

There’s been over 1 million Sky players so far, so enabling Kinect should prove to be very popular.

It will be made available in the UK starting November 10.

You can get more information on this through here.

1. cookiejar

These sorts of things you can do with Kinect interest me far more than any Kinect game i’ve seen so far.

2. lexph3re

Soo let me get this straight? Another feature that us americans won’t get? But still only a remote few will be able to enjoy it?…. wth are you doing microsoft? Pay for my live subcription then pay for my sky subscription then pay for my internet subscription. All these bills on bills and all I wanna do is play games.

3. Retroid

HD please. That’s the only thing I really care about for this, even if it has to be download-only and not streaming.

Zune-like HD streaming would, of course, be awesome but I wouldn’t expect it :(

4. SunKing

“Soo let me get this straight? Another feature that us americans won’t get?”

Wow. You have to be kidding me…

5. cookiejar

@4 Unbelievable, init.

6. Erthazus

This technology for moving something with Gestures is great not for the console, but for the media center, Blu Ray players and e.t.c.

It’s just too expensive to buy a console than kinect to do all these stuff that is still questionable if something will work or something won’t.

7. justiceblob

@2 “Soo let me get this straight? Another feature that us americans won’t get? But still only a remote few will be able to enjoy it?” — Sky has over nine million subscribers…. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/apr/30/bskyb.television

8. cookiejar

@6 I think you’re right. Plus I still believe for gaming you do need buttons, at least for the majority of games. But for other devices it could work well.

9. lexph3re

Again few as opposed to many. I’m in the us its availible in ireland and uk. so 9 million subscribers is nice but 354 million of us won’t be able to get it. Useless feature. And still not encouraging my purchase of kinect or 360. No espn, no sky, no good. And also must have gold membership for kinect to function so makes me wonder what good will it be offline without internet. So, again not seeing anything they want but to add bill on top of bill on top of bill

10. cookiejar

@9 Not being funny, but your not making much sense. Just because America won’t get it, means its a useless feature? That’s a bit selfish, isn’t it? The US get a ton more content and services anyway.

Like you said, you won’t be getting it anyway, so it can hardly be a useless feature for you!

11. lexph3re

Its primarily useless news to people who stay in us. Not selfish, great news for the ones who benefit. But for me amongst others who are looking for what benefits this tech is offering its very narrow. No real games have been shown for it, and feature intergration are useless when only select people can enjoy it. Like espn won’t be enjoy being a vast part of american who own a 360 and to enable the feature you have to already have espn through your provider so what’s the point of it? For me as a gamer I need to know my purchase is just especially with the increase in crap software and development. I don’t want my only purchase of a 360 to be based off cross game chat and alan wake I need to know the system is going to benefit me in the long run. And kinect was a new add-on meant to make the 360 more appealing but the more I see these “incentives” that ms is offerring the more convinced I am they are a terrible company. I want to see something everyone can benefit from on the system not just gold over silver.

12. sg1974

Hmmmm….

“Sony needs to decide if the PS3 is an entertainment hub or a games console. The 360 is a games console.”

Aaron Greenburg circa 2008. I swear the Ps3 and 360 have swapped places in the last year

13. typeface

Anything with ‘voice control’ I’m skeptical about anyway. No matter how good voice recognition gets it still is always half-arsed. Anyone who’s ever called a voice automation system would probably agree.
    I mean it’s fancy and all but really so far the near decent voice control on a device I’ve experienced (outside of some new software) was on the Iphone and even that is a mess.
    I like how in an article it says it understands UK English (we don’t all have the same accent y’know XD, not to mention intonation and modulation).