Crysis 2 is a “choreographed sandbox” title, says Yerli

Friday, 24th September 2010 19:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

crysis21

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has called Crysis 2 a “choreographed sandbox” game, which he said offers “flexibility and intensity”, and makes the game more accessible and cinematic compared to a regular sandbox title.

Kind of like the porridge Goldilocks chose

Speaking with Gamasutra, Yerli said in comparison Crysis 1 “was a sandbox”, Warhead “tried” to be a choreographed sandbox, but “was a bit too choreographed” and Crysis is “a bit in the middle”.

“The choreographed sandbox combines the freedom of Crysis 1, so you still have free-form gameplay, with choreographed moments that are interspersed into the experience,” he said. “You have a more intense feeling — a more action packed, intense feeling of a linear shooter. It’s more accessible and more cinematic.

“At the same time, you can use the world full of freedom; you can traverse it horizontally and vertically using the features of New York. The world is filled with objects that have logic behind them; you have cars, barrels, and breakable stuff that you can pick up and slap people with, and you can also have the intrinsic ability to play stealthily without the stealth suit.

“You can also activate the stealth suit to play stealth, because the entire AI system is based on hearing and seeing. If the AI didn’t hear or see you because your footsteps weren’t loud enough or you were behind an object, then you can sneak up on them and activate stealth mode.

“You can sprint fast, jump high, jump long, and you have the tactical mode to assess and scan the enemies’ attacks to truly define your action. I bet Crysis 1 gamers will be super happy with the game; we still have the more open areas. But, also, traditional FPS gamers will also find cinematic, intense experiences because of the choreographed sequences.

“What we want is for people to explore the depth of the game, the systemic tools. I want people to experience their own created experience; we never tell the player how to play. Since Far Cry, we’ve always said, “Play as you want. You are empowered. You have the tools, the world is a tool, and everything can be a weapon is some way, you just have to find a solution to that.” We want people to still be able to do that, but we also want to satisfy people who don’t care too much about sandbox.”

Evolution, not pressure

As far as moving the series into this new direction, Yerli said the change was more about “evolution” than pressure from going multiplatform.

“For me, it’s a new generation of sandbox, to be honest, because it’s a challenge,” he said. “It’s a challenge to be more accessible and deep at the same time.

“Crysis was a bit difficult to access because it required more burden on the player to think. What we want is for the burden to be reduced, but thinking is still allowed, so the access is easier, simplified. Generally, if you have complex systems that are more easily accessible, it is an evolution and a challenge. Hence, moving the sandbox to a choreographed sandbox was a challenge in gameplay design.”

Crysis 2 hits the US on March 22, and Europe on March 25 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Erthazus

I can’t wait for this. I so want this :)

2. manamana

^Crysisfanboy! LOLZ :-D

3. Stardog

If Crysis was a game that required the player to think then god knows how dumb this game will be.

4. DSB

The problem with Crysis is that it was a sandbox that wasn’t focused in anyway. There’s a thin line between making people improvise, and simply not bothering to design your experience.

In Crysis you were just wandering through one military encampment after the other (or indeed going around them) whereas Far Cry lead you to specific events that were a lot more fun.

I hope they’re bringing that back in Crysis 2. I think they’re aware of it, even if they’re pretty arrogant talking about their games. The rooftop multiplayer looked sweet though.

5. Erthazus

@2 I’m not fanboy of ANYTHING. Remember.

also you are a fag :D

@DSB, subjective really. I liked both equally. I don’t know what problems Crysis had. Really enjoyable experience.

6. AHA-Lambda

@4 – i agree, crysis is by no means a bad game nor is is it a fantastic game it is competent imo

it sticks to the formula and never really thinks out the box as such i’ll play crysis 2 but i’ll just get it from lovefilm

7. spiderLAW

Ive been hearin this LoveFilm thing around here a lot lately….is that the Uk’s version of Netflix or something?

8. AHA-Lambda

yes it is, its basically uk version of netflix and gamefly put together

it seems like its not just me who’s been using it now lol

my plan to bankrupt publishers through rentals is working!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

9. DSB

@6 I’d use the term mediocre. To me it felt like it had all the components of a game, but just didn’t bother applying any of them. I don’t think that makes people think at all, it just makes them bored.

The AI just wasn’t strong enough to justify that kind of freedom. Once you grow tired of the graphics and the physics, there’s little for you to really do.

10. spiderLAW

Im with you. I had Crysis maxxed out (a month after its release) and got 45-50fps and i can honestly say that besides the graphics, it had hardly anything going for it.
    Graphics wise, its still amazing looking (i get 60+fps now on Crysis Wars). Game wise, meh :P NEXT!

11. AHA-Lambda

@9 – yea i can agree with that

to me for a sandbox game it just felt pretty linear and barren >_>

@10 – this too

12. Dannybuoy

Good, sand box games bore the pants off me

13. manamana

@Erthclownus: did you get that word from dict.cc or whats your problem, go suck on your mums titts, youngling! Funny thing is, you dont get how I ignored your shitdumping before you called me a fag. And my comment above is obviously a statement on your halohatetirades. But you can’t take it with humour. All you have learned is bashing and hating, poor boy.
    I remember that you’re a poor lonesome geek, behind a nerdy PC (the glory of your life), claiming to know the history of gaming and proud on commenting and bashing the heck on other users of this site. You are no dude you are a slave of the industrie, in which you participate as a gamer and a troll on sites like this, hoping for a job init. Learn tolerance and you will gain respect.
    The gamingindustrie needs you, twentyfourseven! Keep up that good job of yours, so you dont need a real life, where you have to deal with real people and where noone takes notice of you.

14. night_tripper

i want this game can’t wait till march 22 day one :P

15. KrazyKraut

this game totally disappointed me….the only thing you had was not more than you had in MGS1 (but not so good as): Some possibilities how to battle the bad guys. You had the chance to fight them with power or stealth. But Stealth didnt work very well (my opinion). I dont want to say the game was bad…but I always have thought its more innovative.

I dont think they change something….they are graphic and action whores at Crytek.

16. Erthazus

@Butthurted manamana, what are you doing here trolling? Go play your Halo :D

17. manamana

I was, had fun indeed. Something you dont know, unless you are on gayish showoff with brainless story crysis reference :-D
    So you dont know what problems crysis had? No wonder, you can take a look @3 but its better if its MOAR graphics and less story for you cryboy. Muahahaha!

18. lucascane

I want more information. I am dying of waiting.

Crysis was a really good game.

19. Isaaclarke37

I really loved Crysis & Warhead, they are my best FPS on PC this gen.
    I can’t wait to see more of the game or even how it starts.

20. Erthazus

@manamana, i enjoyed Crysis not for the story, i enjoyed it for:

1) Gameplay (suit powers)

2) Graphics, physics

3) Cryengine editor where i made a lot of mods.

Now get out of here.

21. manamana

Why should I? You have proven me to stay, since you give me enough reasons to comment on your silly PC talk, á la “I made a lot of mods”. Poor pussy, thinking that makes you special. Kind of elite, huh? Go out and get a real life, really, hurry up you are still young. And sorry, but liking the gameplay because of the suit powers, makes sense as it adds to the strategy, but for the story and deepness of the background it has little to do with. It really was a techdemo, nothing more. I need more information and background and like to have a good story told, to enjoy a game even more, its not just about handling. If you dont, its ok, since youre a kind of graphicswhore and love bitching around, telling others which configuration your PC is at. Like you stated to the Bioshock Infinity vid ” it has no magic”. Maybe for you, each their own, so stop bitching on other peoples likings FFS. That said, I really hope to see something clever coming from crytec to the consoles, since everyones watching. Especially me, who loves gaming. No matter which brand.