Zune expanding to the UK this fall

Tuesday, 21st September 2010 07:49 GMT By Debabrata Nath

zunehd

The Zune Marketplace online store, Zune Pass music subscription service, enhanced features on Zune.net and free Zune software will launch on PCs, Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live in the UK this autumn, Microsoft said this morning.

The Zune PC software suite has also been upgraded to serve as the Window 7 phone synchronization client.

The new version will be free to download from Zune’s marketplace.

The launch of the service in the UK will enable consumers to purchase MP3s from Zune Marketplace and listen to them on any device which supports the format.

Subscribers will also be able to purchase music videos from the Zune marketplace.

Users will also have an option of subscribing to monthly music subscription Zune Pass for £8.99 a hit, providing them with unlimited download and streaming access to the Zune music catalogue.

You’ll also be provided with an option to rent movies from Zune Marketplace and those in UK will have an additional option to purchase download to-own movies and music videos.

Zune Marketplace is accessible from within the Zune Software, and provides users with the ability to purchase millions of individual tracks and albums from its catalogue.

1. Blerk

I deleted the Zune software from my 360 because it was so fucking awful.

2. manamana

What an epic fail this whole Zune crap is.

3. mington

@1 WHAT i never realised you could do that….. i know the first thing i’m doing next time i turn on the noise box 3shity (i love these silly fanboy names)

4. Blerk

I didn’t realise either until Retroid pointed it out a few months back. Go into your settings and find the ‘memory’ bit, then browse down your hard drive contents. Somewhere in there (system items, or something similar) you’ll find a file called Zune. Delete it and voila! Magically your 360′s video bit works the same as it did in the past, without having to launch that shitty Zune client every time you want to watch a video.

Given that I never buy/rent anything from the Zune store the ‘old’ solution was perfectly fine for me.

5. mington

although, occasionally i do like to watch new movie trailers on my American account :?

wow, this is a big decision :P

6. Blerk

Chickening out now, eh? Buck-buck-buck!

/flaps arms

7. mington

:) i’d love to get one of those jackets from ‘Back to the future 2′ with built in mocking chicken sound effects

You know the bit before ‘HOVERBOARDS DON’T WORK ON WATER’

8. mington

9. Blerk

Awesome! :-D

10. DrDamn

11. brokenkey

When is “Fall”? Do you meant Autumn?

12. Blerk

It’s a typo, he meant to write “fail”.

13. Happy Hardon Harry

Jesus, MS give it up! You’ve already lost to the iPod generation years ago. Zune hasn’t changed a thing.

How about putting out something “new” and original, rather than fighting a battle for a market you already lost moon’s ago.

14. Michael O’Connor

@13 More baseless bitching.

Contrary to popular beliefs, these companies are not locked into mortal conflict with each other. The Zune does well enough for itself, even if its nowhere near as popular as Apple’s products.

They’re simply expanding their market. Sheesh.

15. Happy Hardon Harry

For fuck sake, stop stalking me you freak! You are indeed the mental patient, literally.

16. Michael O’Connor

@15 Stalking? Don’t flatter yourself.

You commented with a stupid remark, I responded.

17. DSB

How come Happy Hardon Harry is never happy? Does he even have a boner? Is his name really Harry?

18. DaMan

It’s all about the game
    And how you play it

19. Michael O’Connor

@17 I think it’s meant to be “ironic humour”. Or something.

20. DSB

@19 I think it’s a cry for help. On the inside, Happy Hardon Harry is just another little boy who cries.

21. Gekidami

PC fanboys have nothing to be happy about.

22. theevilaires

Wow I didn’t know that either Blerk, thanks for the mentioning. I with you on that mington. I was wondering why I couldn’t watch the vids I downloaded from LIVE then I found out you have to use that stupid ZUNE software. I wasn’t impressed and now this is great news.

23. onlineatron

Imported a ZuneHD last year.

It’s a FANTASTIC music player, but not much else.

Don’t expect tons of apps and other options and you’ll love it.

I’d love to see a UK Zune Pass, that service seems great.

24. cookiejar

I might of actually subscribed if I could of played the content on my iPhone ;)

25. spiderLAW

I have both 32gb iPod touch and ZuneHD 32gb.
    I love them both but i prefer my Zune for music and video.

They are getting ready for the next Zune release and have been clearencing the ZuneHD….wonder if the next Zune will finally have an app store.