F1 2010 ships 2 million as Codies releases launch trailer

Tuesday, 21st September 2010 14:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

f1 2010

Codemasters has announced it’s shipped 2 million units of F1 2010 for the game’s launch this week.

The racer, the second made by Codies since it acquired the rights to the sport from Sony, releases on Thursday in the US and on Friday in the UK.

“We pushed the development period as far as we could… we’re always very aware of what’s being called for,” said chief games designer, Stephen Hood in a forum post on the Codies forums.

“Sometimes I feel as though the gap between F1 games has played against us because people have had so long to imagine all the features they’d love to have in their ideal F1 title.”

F1 2010 sees the game in this season’s perspective, from the rules and the new tracks like in South Korea; to the new teams such as Lotus and Virgin; to the rebranding of Brawn GP to Mercedes; and drivers moving teams, like Fernando Alonso to Ferrari and Jenson Button to McLaren.

The game launches this Friday in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Dean

Let’s see how many of those 2m shipped end up being sold through…

2. poorwretch

Well they’ve already sold one to me.

3. Peetry

And me

4. poorwretch

@3 thats the spirit now lets get the ball rolling and see how many copies vg247′s readers can muster.

5. Psychotext

None to me. I love F1… but my days of playing F1 ended with Geoff Crammond’s title back in the 90s. :)

6. loki

Codies so naive

7. mington

Why does Codemasters get a nick name?

Why not Bungies, Valvies, Activisies, Epies, Cricies, Capcies, Namcies, Nintendies, Sonies, Microsofies…..i’ll stop now

8. Redh3lix

@ 7 – I don’t believe Activision has a nickname, although they’ve been called a lot of things which I cannot repeat here. :P

9. OlderGamer

If I grab this game it will be on a blow out sale on Steam down the road. Its all ready at 35usd for preorders. Looks good, but I can wait. I am still playing the F1 Champ ed that launched with the PS3, damn good game that.

10. Massiveslag

Codies get a nickname simply because of the affection held towards them in the UK industry. They’ve been a mainstay for nigh on thirty years, and yes they’ve had their problems, but they’re a great success story for the UK industry.

Incidentally, I’ve played this title extensively and it’s the best use of the licence I can remember – and I’ve been playing F1 games since Pole Position and Monaco GP. Get a decent force feedback wheel and it’s brilliant, and the weather effects are truly stunning.

11. albo88

is like the last gen WE DON’T PLAY A DECENT F1 GAME EVEN THOUS IN PS2 AND XBOX FILLED LIKE SHIT WITH HORRIBLE HANDLING EA SUCKED SONY sucked now lets see codes but im really positive for this on

12. Gadzooks!

I must admit this game is looking good, but I’d very much like to try a demo as Codemasters have been a bit hit-and-miss with recent racing games.

It’s nice to see some developers havent completely abandoned sim racing. Quality sim racers like Forza and hopefully F1 compliment the recent arcade racers like Split/Second and Blur quite nicely.

13. SaintRasmus

And 1.7 Mill. comes back.