Kudo: “Hardly anyone plays first-person shooters on the PC any more”

Monday, 20th September 2010 14:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masterchief

First-person shooters. Your PC days are numbered. Microsoft’s Kudo Tsunoda reckons it.

The Kinect chief told Game Informer that “hardly anyone” plays FPS on PC now, with Halo redefining how shooters are seen on consoles.

Hey id, Valve? Might want to stop developing RAGE or Portal 2 for PC now.

He explained: “If you think about the way that first-person shooters evolved, they started on the PC.

“People for the longest time tried to port shooters from the PC onto the console.

“And people said the same things that they are saying now about Kinect – ‘It’s never going to be responsive enough to do this,’ or ‘You’re never going to get a fun first person shooter on the console’ – it’s only made for a keyboard and mouse and that is the way it is supposed to be played.’

“And as long as everyone was just porting the existing shooters over to console, they weren’t as fun as the PC ones. Of course, they were built for the PC.”

Kinect launches on November 10 in the UK.

1. Suikoden Fan

Kudo Tsunoda should know when to shut the fuck up, he is getting as bad as Greenberg

2. Johnny Cullen

Oh dear. This ain’t going to digest well.

3. StolenGlory

/facepalm.

4. StolenGlory

Seriously though, does this guy get off on being a daft twat or what?

5. Patrick Garratt

“Uh oh.”

6. Blerk

Yikes!

/cranks air-raid siren

7. macronia

no body stop me from kicking his big fat @ss and his lovely kinect

by the way leave id and valve alone .. remove them from ur head

8. Quak0r

OH MY GOD! Someone help me! I can’t stop punching this baby with my right fist and this adorably puppy with my left fist! I don’t want to do that but i can’t stop since i read this article.

Oh Please! Someone help me!

9. Max Pain

my friend list on steam, says otherwise.

10. BULArmy

I want that fuck to play with me let say Halo 1 on PC with ms/kb and Halo 3, Reach on the 360. I will fukin destroy him on the PC and I am definetly sure that i will not loose big on the 360. Or lets play BC2 on PC and 360(I played like 5 hours on 360 BC2 and made a 300 kills and died around 50 times). I will fukin’ annihilate him on both versions.
    BTW to say something like that you must be incredibly stupid.

11. Gheritt White

GoldenEye 007 says “hi”.

12. Razor

I won’t be sad when they run Halo into the ground.

13. EscoBlades

LOLOLOL!

*checks article again*

LMAOROFL!

14. Freek

Promoting MS is one thing, now he just seems to have drunk a little bitt too much of the company CoolAid.

15. Erthazus

“Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console, and now hardly anyone plays first-person shooters on the PC anymore,” he claimed.”

OF COURSE, Kudo. Remember Halo 2 disaster on metacritic? After that Halo franchise from Microsoft will never be there.

He can just shut up, he is more annoying than Greenberg.

PS: Whats next?
    Kudo: “Xbox 360 is the best console ever created in the history of mankind”

16. Johnny Cullen

Reach is awesome.

Just sayin’.

17. Lord Gremlin

Oh my GOD. This guy is so full of SHIT that I can smell the stench right here, in Russia! Poor Canadians and Americans, they must be floating in it by now…

18. Psychotext

This guy is a proper mentalist. I love it. :D

19. spiderLAW

Reach is awesome. I enjoy it very much but it is not a PC FPS killer in any way, shape, or form. Not even close to it.

20. Detale

Inspired PR move.

21. G1GAHURTZ

And if if the whole ‘MW2 dedicated server’ internet meltdown taught us anything, it’s…

22. Michael O’Connor

The guy is kind of right, I’m afraid.

PC exclusive shooters are very rare nowadays. There’s a reason all those shooters come out on console as well…

23. iOrly

I can’t find the best words to express my extremely astonishing sudden “oh what the fu**** fu***”

24. G1GAHURTZ

@22:

You may be right Michael, but you try telling that to the army of raging PC gamers headed this way…

25. Michael O’Connor

@22 *gets out his Move controller to fend them off*

26. OlderGamer

The sales numbers truely support his claim.

I love my PC/Steam, but when I want to play some FPS, its BFBC2, l4d, halo, Mag, in my living room.

MMOs, RTS, and a few other types of games are a different story.

27. LORANT92

lol, I want to have some of the stuff he’s smoking.

28. OlderGamer

How is Move Mike? The Wife and I are trying to figure out what to save up for RB3(she wants the piano) or Move(she wants the Eye Pet Monkey game).

Whats your impression? Worth it?

Sorry not meaning to derail a thread … go PC!! Go Console!!! Rah=rah-rah!

29. DoubleM

He should’ve said: “The consoles have the best online experience.” That’s why people buy FPSs on consoles.

30. Kerplunk

I beat Singularity on my sexy new PC only this week. Very fun game, solid mechanics, weak ending.

I concede that although it was a PC FPS, I played it with my wired 360 controller.

I’ll give Kudo half a point. I guess that makes me “hardly anyone” :)

31. DSB

@21 It’s that people talk a lot of shit and play your games anyway :P

I still can’t get used to using a pad for FPS games. It seems so sluggish to me. I like the way Halo accomodated that whole control scheme back in the day, but I just can’t handle spending those seconds or miliseconds aiming.

32. Erthazus

@ Michael, but is it that important for PC to have exclusive FPS games? does it matter? I think not. As long as there are great franchises with mouse and keyboard support you don’t give an F about it.

Last FPS exclusive games (AAA title, not nichy ones) were STALKER and Crysis on PC. I mean, no reason to them being exclusives. PC is the open platform and gamers just want more games there.

33. joshua nash

so the drugdealer/trailer park pimp/kinect chief has opened his stupid fucking mouth and BS came flying out, maybe the PR police that are usually following molyneux around should start following this dumb fuck around aswell

34. Freek

He probably also forgot the company he works for has a substantial intrest in PC gaming.

And yes, FPS is verry popular on consoles, and there are allot of cross platform shooters. But it isn’t even close to “hardly anybody” playing FPS games on PC. Cod, Batteflied, Team Fortress, Half Life all have a massive PC following.

35. Michael O’Connor

@28 Being a huge Rock Band fan as well, I can’t really give an unbiased opinion.

EyePet is a bit of a one-hit wonder in my personal experience, but then I’ve never been a fan of the whole virtual pet thing.

Rock Band also has more longevity. And that instrument can genuinely help you learn to play the real thing.

The Move itself is a masterpiece in design though. The technology is flawless, and works brilliantly. I wouldn’t buy it just for one game myself, so your best bet is to go with whichever you two think you’ll play the most.

36. DSB

@32 Spits out drink.

GREAT argument for PC games there, champ.

One is a glorified tech demo, and the other is a buggy mess that’s still being fixed by the community. Is that PC gaming?

37. spiderLAW

Vaguely
    Exclusive shooters on PC are indeed dying out BUT there are still and always will be a huge amount of FPS gamers playing FPS on PC.

Maybe NEW fps’ will see more gamers on consoles.
    I know plenty of PC gamers that havent moved away from CS1 and CS Source, Half-Life Deathmatch, Quake, Unreal Tournament 1- 2004, Vampire Slayer (Half-Life mod), HL2 Deathmatch, Day of Defeat, Day of Defeat Source, Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 2 & 4, Crysis Wars (cant understand why), Halo, Halo 2, F.E.A.R., Doom 3, and damn i could go on. But point is, a lot of PC gamers will find maybe 1 – 3 FPS’ they like and stick with them, never moving on. So i guess i can sorta see what he is saying even if its vague.

38. Michael O’Connor

@32 Don’t get me wrong, I love the PC just as much as my consoles. I’m simply saying that the PC doesn’t have the same strength in the genre as it used to.

@37 PC used to be like an “exclusive club” for people who wanted the best quality experiences, especially in the first person shooter genre. Now it (sadly) plays second fiddle to console ports, mostly.

I think you can still get the best experience on the PC, I agree with you there, but you won’t get the most popular, which is Kudo’s point.

39. KrazyKraut

40. Erthazus

@46 It’s not the argument. Learn to read, i said that i don’t see a reason to these FPS to be exclusives to one platform. I sad that PC don’t need FPS exclusives at all. Multiplatform is enough as long as there is mouse, keyboard support, map editors, dedicated servers… Key word here is Support.

Crysis btw is a very good game (except of Warhead), if your PC is not able to run it on high you will say: It’s glorified tech demo. Du~u~h. I hear that thing for most cases from people who have shitty rig. Their problems.
    STALKER is fixed long time ago. There is no need for patches. Last game just required few minor patches (you can finish the game without patches without a problem) and there is a giant community on that game. A lot of cool mods.

41. AHA-Lambda

i am getting tired of hearing the musings of this little egotistical detestable cunt

they’re will be even less playing it on kinect i can assure you of that. Now go rot in a hole and die somewhere >:(

42. polygem

i think he´s wrong. what´s true though is that shooters on consoles become better and better gameplaywise. halo reach is indeed a good example for this…i prefer playing on 360 now, because i love the controller and love to play on xbl…i wouldn´t dare to say it´s better than on pc – i started gaming on pc- on the other hand what´s also untrue is that pc gaming owns console gaming in every way – pc gamers love to say that all day long…it´s just a matter of preferences i guess…

43. DSB

@38 When people have the option to either invest heavily in PC hardware or pick up a console, that console is gonna be hard to beat. Both play games and both do it well, except a console is a fraction of the price, and less hassle.

The evolution of PCs has all but failed. If you make a game that truly utilizes a quadcore today, you’re basically excluding half your potential audience.

At the same time, developers aren’t very good at making games that play to the PCs strengths.

My ploy would be the redeployment of squadbased shooters. There’s no way you can do one of those with any sort of complexity on a console.

@40 I run it fine with the highest settings. I was talking about the lack of entertaining gameplay, but I know you’d rather focus on engines and what not. Games are meant to be looked at, not played right?

44. spiderLAW

Gotcha and agreed.
    It was the talk of the gamer town to have a PC rig powerful enough to play the latest FPS games coming out (arguing over who has the better Pentium lol). Those are days of old now i guess.

45. DaMan

my opinion, but can we uh, please have more news stories as opposed to flamebait ones? I know it’s all great, but basically the same article gets posted every few weeks (like Inafune commenting on JP decline).

46. spiderLAW

Now go rot in a hole and die somewhere >:(

Umm… Shouldnt it be “Now go die in a hole somewhere and rot”?

47. AHA-Lambda

@46 – whatever i’m pissed off :P

48. Ge0force

The only thing Halo did was making FPS accessible for noobs by refilling the healthbar automatically. Kudo calls this innovation, for the hardcore pc-gamer it’s nothing more than some developer-approved cheat.

49. Bikki

What the fuck does he mean by that?

50. G1GAHURTZ

…that console is gonna be hard to beat. Both play games and both do it well, except a console is a fraction of the price, and less hassle.

Not only that, DSB, but there are a lot less hackers.

I’m not saying that the don’t exist on console (they do), but in my experience, aimbots and wall hacks are much less frequent on console.

51. G1GAHURTZ

51!

52. DSB

They don’t play much else than FPS’s, at least.

@50 I believe it. If Steam’s surveys are representative, the old school PC is really failing to sell people on the notion that they need to keep their hardware current. I think it’s time for a rethink.

@51 Whore.

53. Erthazus

@DSB
    “I was talking about the lack of entertaining gameplay”

Very subjective. I liked that gameplay a lot with suit abilities. always wanted a game where you have suit with interesting abilities.
    also Crysis have the most impressive shooting mechanics. Impressive AI (sometimes). Thats just a taste mater. I enjoyed it a lot (Second part with aliens kinda sucked, but enjoyed.)

“When people have the option to either invest heavily in PC hardware or pick up a console, that console is gonna be hard to beat. Both play games and both do it well, except a console is a fraction of the price, and less hassle.”

Thats very subjective also. You can buy decent PC for the console price + maybe add few more bucks and connect it to the monitor or LCD TV with gamepad and e.t.c.
    More important that games are cheaper, True 1080P much better graphics even for the price of the console.

54. EscoBlades

@41: Reading that made my day.

Thank you good sir!

55. DSB

@53 You can always argue whether Crysis was fun or not, of course that’s subjective. Personally I think it was a hollow shell compared to Far Cry. It was beautiful, but very boring.

The fact is that people aren’t buying PC’s, and they aren’t upgrading the ones they have.

Currently more than 50% of PC gamers are running dualcores or worse, at least if Steam’s surveys are representative.

I’m running a standard i7, which is pretty good value for money, and still I’m in the top 0,05% range of PC owners.

56. NinjaMidget

I’m gonna throw my two cents in here,

If I had the chance to get either a great console or top of the line gaming pc it’d be pc any time!

Sure I can play Uncharted for hours on end, but it is still a linear story line. You can say that for all the big games on both consoles. Very few (except LBP maybe) can offer as much depth as a great pc game. Whilst if I sit down and play total war or civ 4 I lose an entire day easily.

When consoles can claim that their RTS and MMO’s can do that then I will never play a pc game again. But I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon!

57. DuckOfDestiny

And in other news, “hardly anyone” is talking out of their mouths anymore.

58. TLL

Hah what a joke this guy is.

59. Gekidami

Isnt Counter Strike still like the most played game on Steam? The problem isnt that PC gamers dont play FPS’ any more, its that they dont play/buy new ones.

60. Erthazus

“buy new ones.”

So true. Especially when 4.5 million MW2 was downloaded at 2009. This year it;s probably 6 million copies already. thats sad.

61. Dralen

My steam friends are only playing FPS games at the moment and they’re NOT playing counter-strike (I haven’t seen anyone play CSS for years). L4D2, Team Fortress 2, COD:MW2, BC2 and I’m only listing a few of the them. As for myself, the only time I buy a shooter on a console is if its exclusive to that console and I can’t get it on the PC.

I swear this guy is a hippie! God-Damn Hippies!

62. Retroid

/Joeys Kudo

63. DSB

@59 Fair point, but Counter-Strike is hardly just “any old PC game” – It’s the holy grail of online FPS gaming.

It’s worth noting that Modern Warfare 2 is neck and neck with Counter-Strike on any given day, and usually reaches higher peak numbers, and that’s a game that’s barely a year old.

I think the problem is that publishers and developers don’t provide real alternatives. Instead they just slam the market with bad copies of games that people are already enjoying.

Why would you ever expect that to succeed?

Why would I buy a bad copy of a Ferrari when I already own a Ferrari?

64. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hmmm….let me see…..maybe that’s because……

HARDLY ANYONE RELEASES GAMES ON THE PC ANYMORE!?!?!?!?!

I wish they would. I quite enjoy putting on the headphones and enjoying my PC gaming time while the wife and kids use the main tv in the living room.

65. DarkElfa

Hey Kudo, the Douchepokalips called, they want their mascot back.

66. SwiftRanger

You gotta give MS “credit” for getting everyone to play FPSs with a control pad on consoles, how insane that even might still sound today. They lost loads of cash and needed massive patriotic marketing tricks to clearly offset the game against the Japanese console companies but they did it and kept repeating the same slogans and games, bravo.:(

Of course, if the only shooters MS can release on the PC are Halo 2, ShadowRun and Gears of War, some a year or even two years late and totally not well ported… then what the hell did they expect? That people would buy that?

Afaik most shooters are still multiplatform, only first-party titles aren’t. That’s not exactly the same as “hardly anyone playing shooters on PC”.

67. Axelander

Who the hell is Kudo to say this? I thought he had something to do with Kinect, not gaming in general. Of course, this is just a scheme, with only one objective: “Hey Kids! Kudo here! Guess what?! Halo Reach isn’t on the PC, but the 360! By the way, buy Kinect”. Yeah, I can imagine a FPS on Kinect. Not! Also, try saying that to the millions of people who to this day still play Counter Strike and Garry’s Mod

68. Grimrita

This pratt should re word his claims to

‘developers are too fucking lazy to make decent FPS games on the PC’, then I might believe what he is saying.

The last few outings have been extremely dreadful in terms of bugs, ports and pure lazy developing.

I could also say that ‘hardly anyone plays RTS games on a console’

Another prick in the industry who needs to be slapped

69. Happy Hardon Harry

^^ This…

70. Michael O’Connor

@69 That’s almost half the number of people playing Halo Reach alone right this moment.

That’s… 10 times less than the number of players who played Halo Reach in the past 24 hours.

So in comparison to consoles, yes, that’s hardly anybody.

71. tontsa91

I hope no one takes him seriously :P

72. Happy Hardon Harry

…the mental patient speaks!

73. Michael O’Connor

…the idiot troll comes up with another brainless and vapid retort after his post was kicked into the dirt.

In fact, you just provided some solid statistics to help prove Kudo right. Thanks for those!

74. Happy Hardon Harry

You’re a fucking naive idiot for believing the MS PR machine…

75. BULArmy

Crysis walks in and shoot almost all console noobs with its graphics :D
    Then ms/kb comes in and and make a perfect headshot from distance no console gamer can even dream of. :D
    PC is the king of FPS games. Even if not all are playing them how it needs to be played.
    Oh one more thing the PC has a motion controller for what, 30 years :D
    @70 This is only Steam the service don’t track games like BC2, BF2 and shitload of other FPS games.

76. Michael O’Connor

@74 What MS PR machine? I just checked the stats for the game. There are more people playing Halo Reach *right this second* than Valve has logged playing *every* FPS stored on its service in the last 24 hours.

There’s no hype in that. It’s just statistical numbers.

Facts.

And that’s just *one* game.

If you’d care to include the number of people also playing Modern Warfare 2, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Grand Theft Auto across both the PS3 and Xbox 360…

77. BULArmy

@76 Woooho I must congratulate Halo for being mediocre franchise with bad comunity and yes on my first try to play ever a FPS with controller on Halo 3 I won the round…

78. Michael O’Connor

@76 This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the game. Did you even bother to read my previous posts, where I actually championed the PC as the better format for the genre? No, probably not.

Even if I thought Halo Reach was a bad game (I don’t), Kudo point is still substantially supported by the statistics available. Far more people are playing FPS games on console than on the PC. FAAAAAAAR more.

This is a fact supported by evidence.

79. BULArmy

@78Quality over quantity, I prefer that. Yes I am going to play TF2 and there will be like 5000 people but who cares the expirience will be better.

80. theevilaires

Everyone who still plays FPS on PC raise their left hand.

Everyone who plays FPS only on consoles raise their right hands.

Now keep them raised until this article hits 100 stupid,pointless comments.

When thats said and done count the difference and by the time you get to the 3rd person ask yourself do you really give a shit. Just play your games people. FPS is FPS regardless.

81. Michael O’Connor

@79 So do I. This isn’t about quality. This is about whether Kudo’s point is true or not. It is.

@80 *raises hand*

82. DSB

@80 Agreeification.

83. Kalain

@michael O’Conner

and where does Kudo get all of his stats from? GFWL vs XBL? more than likely. If you add all of the Matchmaking services for the PC compared to all of the consoles, you will probably find that FPS gaming is played more on PC’s than on every console put together.

My kudo only gets the actual numbers from XBL and GFWL. They might have some added from other Matchmaking services, but I’m sure they will alter those numbers to suit their needs. Thats basic PR

84. DSB

@83 You could just look at the revenue the platforms bring in. The PC will be very lucky to get a third of the slice of a multiplatform title. It’s pretty unlikely that they’d have a larger community.

85. Erthazus

@84 Actually if you add “Tungle” and other pirated servers, i think there is a big winner and i mean really big. I don’t think about XBLA numbers, but there are some nice numbers anyway.

86. DSB

@85 Given that most people can’t be arsed to buy proper computers, I seriously doubt they can be arsed to go to that kind of trouble.

Casual western piracy is directly linked to laziness. That’s why most people believe that services like Steam or iTunes have managed to bring it down over the last few years, by making it easier than using torrents.

Either way, those pirates are never gonna give out their numbers, so they can’t be counted. And even if they did, the PC wouldn’t be a more viable platform for it, since those people have chosen not to contribute to it.

I’m a dedicated PC player, and I have been since I was 5 or 6, but it’s just pretty sad to pretend like the platform isn’t marginalized. It’s demented fanboy thinking, with no evidence what so ever to back it up.

87. OlderGamer

“@85 Given that most people can’t be arsed to buy proper computers,”

Not to mention that can run into some coin too.

Instead of buying a PC to run my games, I buy my games to run on my PC. Meaning that I won’t/can’t always keep upto top shelf PC graphics. But when it is time for me to get a new PC, I try and get the best value and most power for my doller. And it lasts for as long as it lasts. When the games will no longer run on my system, I have to wait and/or buy older games instead.

But at the heart of it, isn’t that the crux of the console vs PC debate anyways?

And I think what the idea behind what the fella in the articale is saying isn’t that PC gaming sucks, but that we have made console gaming so painless to get into that the masses(that used to play this genere on PC) are now playing it on a console.

A couple hundred(at this point) and your set for a long time, never needing to upgrade to play something. Sound argument really.

But the reason I play on console for OMP boils down to xbl being closed and while people can cheese, they can not out right hack the game. I remember playing Quake and players had see through wall hacks, god hacks etc. Thats no fun.

Consoles are just easier for most to use, cheaper for most to maintain, and now, because seemingly everyone important has migrated to them, consoles have just about every game you are going to want to play. Esp FPS-wise.

That being said:

I can wait for Civ V wOOt

Toss in that and EQII Extended, and unless Gamefly gets me Reach soon, I won’t be on the console much at all.

Thats not aimed at you Erth, not really aimed at anyone tbh, just thinking outloud really.

88. Grimrita

unless its a steam purchased game, I dont use steam to launch any other games, including the crappy Bad company 2.

89. Madeira

@everyone who has a problem with Tsunoda’s statement:

More of your friends buy COD, Bad Company 2, etc on the PC than on consoles? Really?

Consoles have been the major platform for the vast majority of FPS games for years now. You may not like it, but that’s how it is.

Other than Battlefield 2 and Valve games, the action has been on consoles.

90. Callum

If I can, I’ll buy the game for my laptop because it is portable. But I’ll play it with a game pad. That might make me nooby or crap at headshots or what ever, but its a fact I prefer the game pad.

OG got it right with the accessibility stuff, its too easy to get into games via console. I know everyone on here is profficient with PCs, as you are commenting on a thread. I’m not sure you appreciate just how retarded MOST people can be when it comes to using PC’s and especially windows operating system. I worked in PC support for a bit, and I tell you the majority of people couldn’t connect to a wireless network without getting stuck. Using PC’s is hard, using something like a console is easy. Simples!

91. tamalero

The stats are THAT high because the game just got out, and its “in” right now, when Modern Warfare 2 was out, there was a peak of like aprox 500,000 users if I remember correctly.. and that was on STEAM only.

also check what they say, the stats fluctuate up and down depending on the time, the peak was 2,700,000 aproximate users online on steam, who knows how many players were playing FPS.

also remember.. Microsoft, propaganda, and Marketting companies, love to exagerate their numbers to look better than they are.
    Steam STATS is usually RAW DATA taken from the servers.
    also who knows how many people play OUTSIDE of STEAM.

92. manamana

Believe the stats or not but Halo3 is three years old and still 351k games in the last 24h.
    Despite the fact, that Reach is out…

A good friend of mine, who used to play Battlefield on PC, spending every free hour he had. Really, one could say he was obsessed with it. Than he got a PS3. End of the story.

93. SwiftRanger

“And I imagine the number of people playing FPS games that aren’t logged onto Steam isn’t significantly much more, considering how heavily Steam in involved in the digital distribution of games nowadays.”

Unlike most online console games, PC games with an online component do got a very long life. As the comments in that PCG post mention already, Steam stats show nothing about the non-Steam versions of several games and show nothing of what Xfire or Gamespy have been tracking for years.

All that aside, on consoles the FPS genre is dominating the online space, on PC though it has serious online competition from MMOs/action RPGs and to a lesser extent RTSs. It’s a varied platform, thank you very much.

94. bLuEpInOy

Um is this guy in idiot or does he have a 360 so far up his butt he can’t see straight? Its not that PC gamers aren’t playing FPS games, its the fact that game developers have the 360(which happens to be 7 years old) so far up there butts that all the PC guys get is some crappy port AKA MW2. I mean no PC gamer wants a hitbox so huge that you can shoot a bullet pass a character and still kill him like they can in the consoles. I still prefer my PC over my consoles for FPS any day, I have had steam since 2003 and more than 3/4 of the games I own are on PC. I only have things like Guitar Hero and racing games like Blur and Need for speed on my Consoles…..

95. ShoX

Ok, let’s make some sense of this.

First of all, he doesn’t say “Less people play shooters on PC than on consoles”, he says “hardly anyone plays first-person shooters on the PC anymore”. Now the first statement is likely true, given that consoles have opened up FPS to the console players. The second statement, which he made, is significantly less likely true. Especially the “anymore” part. Of the 20 odd shooter players that I personally know and play with for the last few years on PC, no one has switched to consoles for multiplayer shooters. Even though of course some people do switch, I would guess that it’s a single digit percent figure. So the console demographic is still the console demographic, and the PC demographic is still the PC demographic.
    So the bottom line is that they made shooters viable for consoles and therefore ADDED the console demographic to the PC demographic. So the PC is doing well I suppose, and will be as long as Valve, ID, Blizzard and a few other dedicated PC developers are around, not just for shooters but gaming in general.

96. Kysshin

That guy’s a complete idiot, I wish he would shut up for once.

97. Happy Hardon Harry

Can we also assume hardly anyone will play FPS on Kinect?

98. Michael O’Connor

@98 Probably.

99. Shock120

Kudo is one ignorant bastard,
    When Halo 1 PC and Custom Edition were made they were great for PC,
    it was developed by Bungie and Gearbox.

Lets see what happened when Microsoft tries to make Halo on PC.
    We got this death port of a game called Halo 2 for Windows Vista, which was notably the crappiest game ever conceived, it made Halo 1 PC/CE look awesome.

100. WinstonSmith6079

Heh, oh wow! I wonder how he came to that awfully ingenious conclusion!

I think his bosses at M$ need to tell that guy not to do press-conferences while inebriated. :I