Good Old Games shuts down

Monday, 20th September 2010 08:53 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gog

PC digital distribution platform GOG, Good Old Games, has announced it’s shut down.

The service, run by Witcher developer CD Projekt, gave very little notice of its closure until last night on its website.

A message read:

“We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We’ve debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we’ve decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

“We’re very grateful for all support we’ve received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

“This doesn’t mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We’re closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.”

For anyone looking to download games they’d previously bought from GOG, a solution will be put in place later this week.

But CD Projekt co-founder Michał Kiciński is set to hold a press conference in the next few days, according to GAF, which may include details of GOG’s replacement.

GOG launched in 2008, selling indie games and old-time classics.

1. Blerk

Shame. I’ve had a few games from there.

2. evilashchris

I thought the rumour was it’s because it is coming out of the beta phase?

3. TomisH

They were to come out of Beta around this time of the year, so… :]
    http://www.gamikaze.pl/Aktualnosci/CD_Projekt_o_przyszlosci_GOGcom.aspx (Polish)

In short – Version 1.0, with better functionality.
    But if that is not it, then… :(

4. Blerk

Oh, well I hope that’s true!

5. Old MacDonald

Very sad. I always felt GOG should have received more attention by VG247, they’ve rereleased some absolute classics over the last two years, and now that they’re gone these games are no longer legally available anywhere (except eBay).

6. endgame

“From what I’ve been reading it seems the publishers were increasingly unhappy with the lack of DRM.” and “they’ve rereleased some absolute classics over the last two years, and now that they’re gone these games are no longer legally available anywhere” which means we will pirate these which means that we will pirate more in general which means we will buy less games which means the publishers will make less and less money over the time. n1. some ppl in the industry will never lack to amaze me by how smart they r.

7. ShiroGamer

its a pr stunt, relax

8. GwynbleiddiuM

it’s really saddens me to see GOG goes away. If only it had better support from publisher’s and a bit more enthusiasm from gamers this wouldn’t have happened. At the very least I got myself some memorable games from the good old days and I have good old games to thank for.

9. YoungZer0

It’s a marketing move.

Update: Good Old Games spokesman Tom Ohle gave this comment to Kotaku: “As the message on the site says, this doesn’t mean GOG is gone. We’ll have more to share in the coming days.”

Signs point to a potential relaunch of the service. Good Old Games had always carried a “beta” tag. This Polish financial news page, translated, (Good Old Games’ owner is Warsaw-based CD Projekt) indicates news is coming on Wednesday. [Thanks to Kotaku reader jayntampa for the link.]

10. DSB

I haven’t seen anything conclusive either way. It’s not exactly a bright marketing move when you shut down a site and leave your customers without a way of downloading their games. Not even in Poland.

If they are shutting down, that would be a huge shame. I was hoping they’d hear my pleas and get to work on the Little Big Adventure games and Rocket Jockey.

On the other hand, you need to sell a lot of 5 dollar games to make a service like that worth your while.

11. Old MacDonald

BTW: “GOG launched in 2008, selling indie games and old-time classics.”

No indies, only classics. It was the PC’s answer to Virtual Console, and it was bloody brilliant.