PSA: Xbox Live Gold is free this weekend

Saturday, 18th September 2010 18:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbl

This is just a friendly reminder to folks out there, that Silver members of Xbox Live can play online free this weekend.

Microsoft announced back in August this free weekend was coming, but it’s been a while, and you may have forgotten about it. We did at any rate.

This means, that until tomorrow, you can play Halo: Reach online with your Gold buddies. Or whatever else floats your boat.

Get more information about it through Xbox.com.

Thanks, SavvyD.

1. Erthazus

Just WOW… Thanks MS, thats so much for your community.

Well, guess what. I can play on Steam or PSN for FREE. O_O Shock!

2. Michael O’Connor

@1 When PSN gives me cross game chat, cross game invites, and cross game migration, and stops requiring me to install half my games just so I can play them… then I’ll actually stop paying for Xbox Live.

As it stands, almost all of my console online gaming is done on the 360. Mainly because the vast majority of the people I know in person play online almost exclusively on the 360. The only games I play online on the PS3 are the console exclusive ones.

That and the fact that everyone is provided with a headset, meaning that I can talk to everyone, which isn’t the case on the PS3, where the vast majority of people in the games I have played don’t have headsets.

So yeah. For such a small fee, you get a vastly better online service.

3. Stardog

You can get a free 30 days with each account you create…

Just need a bunch of different email addresses.

4. Suikoden Fan

@O’Connor but you do get alot of underage racist/ sexist americans and the like too, Thats no where near as common on playstation. also quite a few things on gold are free elsewhere, twitter and facebook as examples so in effect your paying to use a free service, thats whether you use it or not.

and since i live in england, i woulsn’t get esbn and other stuff.

I wont lie i hate ms for making online pay to play. I dont pay on wii, ds, or the the sony systems nor have i in my time as a pc gamer so theres no way i’m paying them.

but this may sound insane if online play was NOT a part of gold and was available to silver, i would then consider getting gold, but as long as online is a charge for service i wont give in based on principles.

but thats not to say that sony or nintendo have got it perfect either. each have there let downs. Only thing that doesn’t let down is pc in that respect

5. Michael O’Connor

@4 If you actually believe those sort of things are less common on PSN, you’re deluding yourself.

6. Suikoden Fan

i’m going by personal experience so i’m not deluding myself, its a double edged sword here but you could partly put it down to the fact that since the headset is not bundled with the console it makes it harder for them to play with one

7. Michael O’Connor

@6 And so am I. I’ve heard more verbal abuse from 12 years in LittleBigPlanet telling me I’m “too old to be playing this game” then I have in any other game. And that’s my favourite game of the past decade.

The fact that most people don’t have headsets because they’re not bundled with the machine (when the hell are they going to fix that?!) is probably the sole reason you haven’t experienced as many problem. I assure you, if far more people had one, you’d fine out fast enough that they’re just as juvenile on PSN as they are on any other format.

8. Suikoden Fan

oh i have not doubt theres a horde of them just waiting to come out, but you see stories and whatnot about the ms lot more than you d of sony’s. but like i said no console this gen has got it perfect, i just think the worst thing this gen is the whole pay to play thing ms is pushing.

9. Michael O’Connor

@8 People are willing to pay. And rightly so, because it’s a brilliant service.

10. Suikoden Fan

as is psn, the value for money there is good, that and dedicated servers. At least with any other platform you can save that money on live and put it towards an extra game.

In my eyes you are technically paying to access afeature that is on the disc, i’m partly amazed how people dont mind it with live but if theres unlockable dlc on a disc its a whole uproar when both is asking you to pay to access a part of the content on a disc.

11. KAP

Im on PSN more then i am on my 360 because most of my friends would rather play for free then cunt our selfs out paying £40 a year because of a few features (thats ironically some free else where lol?!). I mean overal as gamers the most important thing is gaming with friends so in this climate the cheaper for most the better.

You clearly make out XBL is better and i dont doubt that for a second but come on dude PSN is more then capable in what it offers too.

You talk about Mics, well its funny you say that because the more move controllers are sold the more people will have cameras and the more Playstation eyes are got the more people will essentially have mics. (mics are placed on top on cameras)

I havent been totally honest with you though, im not on my 360 as much because theres mainly nothing people are on but shooters and its starting to f-u-c-k m-e o-f-f.. its boring as hell!!!

12. TraceableX

HAHA. Pay to play online games.

Sorry, I like to play for free. Don’t care about MS additions..
    I hope Sony will be like that.

Xbots: “oh noez, I can’t play online games without cross game chat”.

13. Michael O’Connor

@11 I never said it wasn’t capable. What PSN lacks in basic mutliplayer functions (the biggest killer for me is the lack of cross game chat) it makes up for in a level of freedom in some of its games that you simply won’t see on other consoles.

Games like ModNation Racers and LittleBigPlanet will never appear on the 360 because of Microsoft’s needlessly restrictive rules on how its online services can be used.

Good point about the Move. I only found out today after setting up the Move (despite owning a camera for years) that you could use the camera as a mic. Heh. They need to simplify the process though, or I imagine a lot of people won’t even notice that capability is even there.

14. freedoms_stain

Cross game chat is actually a phenomenal feature, my 2 best mates are on live a lot, one of them uses his 360 as a media hub, so when he’s home his 360 is pretty much on, and 3 way party chat which you can use whatever the 3 of you are doing is awesome. You can’t game and talk on the phone at the same time, most networks don’t even support 3 way chat, but you can on xbox live.

15. LordVonPunx

Wow a whole Weekend? that i snot even worth my time to dig it
    out of my closet.

16. itsucks

ErzaTWATus bey a low life creep. Usual stuff, just stick to your shoddy YLOD pieceofshit3, and shut yo hole.

17. Ge0force

You don’t have to pay for peer-to-peer gaming for two full days? Microsoft is SO generous omg :)

18. AHA-Lambda

thanks MS but i think i’ll be playing uncharted 2 and bc2 online on psn instead >_>

19. DSB

I thought that was brutally hilarious.

I cancelled my Xbox Live subscription purely based on the fact that Microsoft make that as difficult as possible for you, and actually require you to call a guy like it’s 18-fucking-90.

Why not require us to send you a telegram or a dispatch while you’re at it? I think the pony express is stepping up it’s number of stage coaches this year.

20. speedxl01

Well Michael if you justify the payment for services like cross game chat etc, then wouldn´t be nice if the online service (alone) was included on silver, so if you pay for gold you obtain all the other “services” ?

ONLINE IS FREE ON ALMOST ALL PLATFORMS, except on MS LIVE.

And yes, I don´t like microsoft to do this, because it sets a precedent, other companies could follow suit seeing how MS makes a lot of money from charging to be online, and mimic this..

21. Michael O’Connor

@20 The cost of Live for a year is a week’s pocket change. After buying it, I don’t give it even a second thought for another 12 months.

22. speedxl01

The problem is that MS does not give their gamers a choice, that price is the cost of a full game or several live
    games, for you that cost may be nothing, but for others that struggle to buy the newest games, it makes a
    difference.

23. theevilaires

@ 19 thats exactly why I went through the hassle last week trying to find out if a pre paid debit card works. I don’t want M$ having shit info of mine and when that 1 year sub is up thats it. They try to charge that card again it won’t work and I will be done with getting the majority of 360 games online achievements.

….fucking shame you have to go through that to cancel a fucking game sub. I advise everyone to use pre paid visa cards to purchase XBOX LIVE and put in false info. It will still work.

24. Callum

I got my 12 months for £26 and it came with some cool Halo themed shizzle for my avatar :) Thats a grand Total of £2.16 a month, for limitless entertainment and banter! And, In my opinion, the service is actually getting better, which shows at least some of my money is being put to good use!